Dealing with reality: who's got tips for running Orion?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great. It will destroy any grid work, so I ran that 50 stop grid section shelf to shelf. Other than that it was stop for stop ODO and smooth as butter. No commits or pickups to interfere with the dispatch. Some things I've picked up:
-Always look out for irregularities in the hins. If a section in your board is all one shelf with a couple random oppsite shelf stops sprinkled in there, you gotta map it to check if it makes sense. It probably doesn't.
-If you're bricked out, just get the 1000 shelf knocked out in order and any RDR/L bulk stops and use that space to sort then you can switch back to orion for a while.
-Multiple stops one street: always know the highest and lowest number of the street in the Orion sequence. Abbreviate the addresses using the last two or 3 digits so they are easier to remember. Point being, you never know at which point on the road orion wants you to turn around so you gotta be ready.
-If it's got you crossing a busy highway multiple times friend that, go up one side of the highway get turned around and work the other. That crossing a 4 lane mph highway garbage is going to get one of these seasonals killed.
As I understand it, there's an unspoken agreement between myself and management that as long as I display the effort to use orion AND produce, they've never said a word to me. I don't ever run more than 50 clicks over though which is above average for our center these days (since the disappearance of RDO our underallowed has been cut in half).
Every body's center is different, but what do you guys do to use Orion and not let it use you?
Or is everybody here one of those crotchety old guys that runs everything shelf to shelf and completely ignores the order on the board and doesn't care about any "repercussions?"

babboo25

Banned
Today I ran about 75% Orion and it actually worked out great. It will destroy any grid work, so I ran that 50 stop grid section shelf to shelf. Other than that it was stop for stop ODO and smooth as butter. No commits or pickups to interfere with the dispatch. Some things I've picked up:
-Always look out for irregularities in the hins. If a section in your board is all one shelf with a couple random oppsite shelf stops sprinkled in there, you gotta map it to check if it makes sense. It probably doesn't.
-If you're bricked out, just get the 1000 shelf knocked out in order and any RDR/L bulk stops and use that space to sort then you can switch back to orion for a while.
-Multiple stops one street: always know the highest and lowest number of the street in the Orion sequence. Abbreviate the addresses using the last two or 3 digits so they are easier to remember. Point being, you never know at which point on the road orion wants you to turn around so you gotta be ready.
-If it's got you crossing a busy highway multiple times friend that, go up one side of the highway get turned around and work the other. That crossing a 4 lane mph highway garbage is going to get one of these seasonals killed.
As I understand it, there's an unspoken agreement between myself and management that as long as I display the effort to use orion AND produce, they've never said a word to me. I don't ever run more than 50 clicks over though which is above average for our center these days (since the disappearance of RDO our underallowed has been cut in half).
Every body's center is different, but what do you guys do to use Orion and not let it use you?
Or is everybody here one of those crotchety old guys that runs everything shelf to shelf and completely ignores the order on the board and doesn't care about any "repercussions?"
Repercussions?? LOL, our center shut off Orion last week.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Dont use Orion, have supervisor turn off your ODO and get back to RDO. Haven't ran ODO in weeks, just takes a little sweet talk to your sup and your good to go.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
For over 100 years UPS drivers ran their routes the best way they could. For over 100 years drivers worked with the dispatchers (usually in the mornings thus UNPAID) to set up their loads to meet time commits, delivery windows and pick up compliance's! 4 years ago UPS paid in excess of $1 BILLION to totally nullify over 100 years of blood, sweat and tears by the professionals!

I will give them as close to 100% as humanly possible, right up their :censored2:ing A-HOLES!

Whats sad as hell is I laugh my ass off on the way to the bank every Friday!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
For over 100 years UPS drivers ran their routes the best way they could. For over 100 years drivers worked with the dispatchers (usually in the mornings thus UNPAID) to set up their loads to meet time commits, delivery windows and pick up compliance's! 4 years ago UPS paid in excess of $1 BILLION to totally nullify over 100 years of blood, sweat and tears by the professionals!

I will give them as close to 100% as humanly possible, right up their :censored2:ing A-HOLES!

just realized that you are like the aspergers version of SoberUPS!

Benben

You know what they say........

Opinions are like :censored2:s. Everyone has one and thinks their's doesn't stink!

Cincypackagehandler

If you know the route well youre fine. You know how to run it, you might spend a little extra time scrolling through the board but it is what is it is. Where it’s awful is if someone is covering a route they don’t run often and don’t know it like the back of their hand. That’s what can cause missed businesses and it can cause you to get way behind because you follow Orion and it can steer you way wrong.

Benben

NOW, the real question is this UnconTROLLed, If my choice of words offended you why would you quote them in their entirety? You object to a word you see then copy and paste it just to see it yet again?

You are not to bight are you? People who jump on their soap boxes and claim the moral high ground but never think anything through is....well, sad!

I am sad for you UnconTROLLed!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
NOW, the real question is this UnconTROLLed, If my choice of words offended you why would you quote them in their entirety? You object to a word you see then copy and paste it just to see it yet again?

You are not to bight are you? People who jump on their soap boxes and claim the moral high ground but never think anything through is....well, sad!

I'd say simmer down but then you'd be less authentic...no idea what you are talking about but, stay angry my friend. :D

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Calm down sweetie

It was funny

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

And no driver was ever disciplined for padding miles.

Poop Head

Judge me.
tenor (3).gif

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Option #1—Have your management team turn RDO back on for you.
Option #2–follow ORION 100%, bring half your route back as missed, and repeat until your management team is forced to RDO back on for you.

With enough determination on your part, you will break them.

Unfortunately, the method you describe is the worst option because you are using your intelligence and area knowledge to conceal ORION’s flaws, to help them generate the compliance metric they are chasing, and to maintain the illusion that ORION works.

ORION= forced stupidity and intentional failure.

If they want abject stupidity, give them abject stupidity until the missed stops that keep piling up on their report hurt so bad that they will become willing to do anything they have to do to make the pain stop.