dealing with snow

DS

Fenderbender
This job is a challenge on the best of days,snow just makes it lets say,even more challenging.The last 2 years have been relativley nice,but this year they are calling for a colder,snowier winter.18 years ago when I started at ups ,it was so cold I HAD to take my break to take off my boots and warm my toes.I can deal with snow,its freezing rain that I hate the most.You guys in California never get to see

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
This job is a challenge on the best of days,snow just makes it lets say,even more challenging.

I wholeheartedly agree! I've been watching the snow and ice-storm eastbound over the western plains. I have family in Illinois and it looks like they might get some ice storms with snow being almost certain. Meanwhile....these storms skipped RIGHT over the Denver metro area haha. I was looking online a couple hours ago and some storms were forecast for the plains 50 or 100 miles west of Denver but NOTHING here. Really strange....-Rocky

tups

All that snow means for me is slow down and work safer. Should be for all of us. (Perfect excuse to roll!!!)

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Our center manager reminded everyone Friday that he wanted everyone to work safely and not to be a foolish hero taking chances. Remember no package is worth your safety. I hope he recalls that when the over 9.5 call 's come in!

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
You guys keep that stuff up there. I am perfectly happy looking at pictures of it. Most of the time sleet and freezing rain is all we ever get down here when we do get anything. As heavy as the loads are we don't need another problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center manager sets a cutoff time, either announced at the PCM or by ODS message, for all drivers to be back at the center. This serves 2 purposes: safety, first, and second, getting what pickup volume we can on to the hub. I deliver in the city so this cutoff time is not normally an issue for me as the city crews do a good job keeping the roads clean. However, whatever you have left over will be compunded by whatever you have on the car the next day, which is then compounded by the fact that we are in peak. I can recall a peak when I first started with UPS where weather impacted us to the point where Saturday delivery was needed to keep up with the delayed volume. This storm will impact us for a day or two and then it will back to normal, whatever that is.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
I don't know how it is at your centres, but here at ours in the back of every package car we have two pails. One 5 gallon pail is full of sand. The other, smaller, pail contains tire chains. I also carry a shovel in the winter months. Pretty much have to use most of these tools every time I come to a complete stop in the winter.

Good times.

VTBrown

It snows in California....heck people ski in Cali.

As for snow? Why stress about it. My favorite days are the days that it is actually snowing!

Throw my tire chains on and actually enjoy the day.

It's the days where there's not much snow and you'll burn your chains up on the pavement that bothers me.

Remember - there are no bad roads in storms. There are only roads you don't go on.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Some of the new P7's you can't chains on. They now had a hard plastic strip with teeth on both sides that you hook to the bumper and stick under the front of the rear tires. When you get loose from where you are stuck it will kick the strip out the back and drag behind ou till you stop somewhere safe to unhook it from the bumper.

Snow = more $. take your time and get it done safely.

VTBrown

Some of the new P7's you can't chains on. They now had a hard plastic strip with teeth on both sides that you hook to the bumper and stick under the front of the rear tires. When you get loose from where you are stuck it will kick the strip out the back and drag behind ou till you stop somewhere safe to unhook it from the bumper.

Snow = more $. take your time and get it done safely.

They all can have chains - you just may need to get the right size or cut your current ones down.

We have chains for both of our P57's and they have the same tire size.

jlphotog

Freezing Rain. That is the one thing I don't miss about living in Southern Ontario. We don't get that here in Northern Alberta. But we do get the extremely cold temperatures. Our high temperature expected for tomorrow in -17c (+1 friend).

In this city they don't plow the snow off all the streets, just the bus routes. Those snow covered streets slow me down by 2-3 stops an hour.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Just got dumped on overnight here in WI. Nice wet heavy stuff. It was hard work clearing the driveway even with a snowblower.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thank goodness they put in the inclement weather dispatch when it snows.
Oh wait, there isnt one, its sunshine and 70 always:angry:

UPSmeoff

I have to give you northern guys props for dealing with the snow.
I just can't imagine what that must be like.
I'll stick to the sunny southeastern seaboard.

over9five

Staff member
Last year they kept us out in a blizzard. Worst driving conditions I've ever seen. I didn't dare stop the truck or go into any parking lots. Never would have gotten going again. I drove around a large block for hours. Round and round and round.
My shop steward was so pissed he quit the safety committee. They talk so much about safety, but to keep us out in that blizzard....
They took chances with our lives.

rod

Retired 22 years
Snow never bothered me but I sure hated crawling out of a warm bed after a 30 below zero night then going to work knowing that for the next 10 hours or so I wouldn't be warm again.

DS

Fenderbender
We got about 10 inches,and freezing rain on top of it .More snow on the way.Doing resi's tomorrow should be fun.Over9,at times up here we get dumped on big time,and the only time we've ever been called back was that nasty ice storm that immobilized quebec about 10 years ago.
Chains are illegal here,so you have to be sure where you go you can also get out.
Let rain and sleet do what it may,
Its every package,every day.
But overdispatch me,and I'll be pissed,
I'll take my break,with 40 missed.