Dedicated Bubblehead and BigUnionGuy argument thread

542thruNthru

Point/counterpoint, scholarly debate, whatever you want to call it. My only issue with it is that it finds its way into every update thread with the same info back and forth until suddenly bam there’s 20 pages of nothing but you two pointing and counterpointing ever more generally with the original topic of the thread disappearing into the rear view.

Not saying you two don’t have good points or that your back and forth isn’t informative, but I think we can keep it from sprawling into every thread.

Some people just want to know what’s going on.

I attend our local meetings when I’m able with my work schedule (nights including one weekend night) I’ve talked with my BA, I did talk with my shop steward, but it seems like I know more than they do about what’s going on in other locals just from reading on here trying to stay informed. If they know anything about central PA, western PA, 243, or 804 they sure aren’t sharing it. In fact the only reason I originally knew about any contention with the new contract at all was because of this forum. All the mechanics in our shop were encouraged to vote yes and all of them not at top pay are still mad that they’re waiting on raise/backpay and have no clue what they’re waiting on besides “some stuck up drivers or something.”

Our local is pretty absent, at least so far as I’ve seen. But sometimes it gets a bit challenging to pick out relevant info when every thread devoted to the topic gets turned into a debate between you two about something else, then since we’re already off topic someone says something about TDU shills, then 10 guys make jokes about how their hub got backpay and/or traded everyone else’s backpay for beards, etc. Then we have another new thread about the same thing 500 times a week because the old threads are filled with off topic and generally not directly useful information, then we have everyone exasperated about the dumb newb who wants their backpay, and the cycle repeats.

Now, that out of the way, my concern is not backpay. To date I’m owed ~$8000 backpay less taxes and whatever back dues are taken out of it. That’s great, I’m living the way I’ve been living all along and I’m well within my means and content to let that come when it comes. What I want to know is what’s going on in the locals where they didn’t get a big brown and gold **** rammed (all the way) up their *** the first time. And y’all in particular make that information harder to find than it needs to be.

@BigUnionGuy, sorry, next time I’ll put your name first.

Great, I’m off my soapbox now, going back to reading and only rarely ever commenting.

And yes, a gofundme would be great

The problem is, you're after specific information and don't want to take the time to learn anything else until it's pertinent.

What you fail to realize is people like bubblehead, BUG, Inthegame, mugarolla expand on issues because they have the years of service and knowledge to do so.

Reading their conversations is enlightening and informative if you take the time to read them. I'm a much more well informed member because of them and others like sickofit, east coast navy and even leadbelly

This forum is a great source of information if you're willing to pay attention. Though like anything in life. You will have to do the work because no one is going to just hand it to you.

Knowledge is power brother. Soak it up.

F

Frankie's Friend

The problem is, you're after specific information and don't want to take the time to learn anything else until it's pertinent.

What you fail to realize is people like bubblehead, BUG, Inthegame, mugarolla expand on issues because they have the years of service and knowledge to do so.

Reading their conversations is enlightening and informative if you take the time to read them. I'm a much more well informed member because of them and others like sickofit, east coast navy and even leadbelly

This forum is a great source of information if you're willing to pay attention. Though like anything in life. You will have to do the work because no one is going to just hand it to you.

Knowledge is power brother. Soak it up.
Dont drag me into this.
giphy-6 (1).gif

:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never known a mechanic to whine about pay.
If they're in the IAM pension fund they can put the Kleenex box down.

No, sadly we’re IBT in certain parts of the country rather than IAM for some idiotic reason. What millwrights and mechanics have in common with truck drivers and package handlers or why we’re shoehorned into a union/contract that barely even acknowledges our existence as more than an afterthought because we’re such a tiny portion of its membership, I’ll never understand. A union that has no interest in protecting our work from being contracted out like they do yours, no less, but I digress.

F

Frankie's Friend

No, sadly we’re IBT in certain parts of the country rather than IAM for some idiotic reason. What millwrights and mechanics have in common with truck drivers and package handlers or why we’re shoehorned into a union/contract that barely even acknowledges our existence as more than an afterthought because we’re such a tiny portion of its membership, I’ll never understand. A union that has no interest in protecting our work from being contracted out like they do yours, no less, but I digress.
You should be in the IAM due to your trade.
The statement that the union (leadership) protects our work from subcontracting is a great thought but not totally correct.
If you read article 26 about the new subcontracting language for surepost you will see that the company now has the right to send all of our "negotiated" surepost work to the post office if one trailer on the lot (even if it is only 10% or less full) is held until the next day for processing.

Yeah, we really told them we're tired of the subcontracting this time around. Jimmy's boys should've beat their fists on the podium a little harder on that one.

F

Frankie's Friend

In my area, they are IAM.

My lack of knowledge was displayed, when someone posted about the IAM pension.

I tried to call BS.

Pro tip:

Crow.... tastes better, when it's warm.
There's a huge difference in purposely ordering crow from the menu vs being served it as pheasant. Who would've known that their fund (and payout) was that great?

I was amazed and disgruntled at the same time when I heard the mechanic say what his retirement was.
But, the company requirements to be considered for that job are pretty stringent (and prior trade experience is long) vs what it takes to be in packages at any level, PC or feeders.

@BigUnionGuy , no one has a grip on every issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

What'dyabringmetoday???

Must be you haven't seen all the trucks that aren't brown pulling UPS trailers. Lol.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In my area, they are IAM.

My lack of knowledge was displayed, when someone posted about the IAM pension.

I tried to call BS.

Pro tip:

Crow.... tastes better, when it's warm.

Wasn't trying to make you eat crow.

You just weren't "informed"

And there are not too many areas that you aren't informed about, or on.

I believe me and @LeadBelly butted heads on that one. I still owe him a beer.

So I posted the IAM SPD and the retirement payout for the mechanics in my area.

The info was public, but not well known.

No one believed that a mechanic will draw more being retired than when they worked, quite a bit more.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I go off topic?

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

Wasn't trying to make you eat crow.

You just weren't "informed"

And there are not too many areas that you aren't informed about, or on.

I believe me and @LeadBelly butted heads on that one. I still owe him a beer.

So I posted the IAM SPD and the retirement payout for the mechanics in my area.

The info was public, but not well known.

No one believed that a mechanic will draw more being retired than when they worked, quite a bit more.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I go off topic?
Ask a mechanic in the IAM. They will tell you.
That's what started the whole issue. A building mechanic (one of them) told me what he'd draw at 15 yrs.

I heard Penske mechanics in L957 got a great contract in terms of hourly rate increases recently.
It's a thankless job so I'm glad for them.