Dedicated driver question

I have orientation on sept 10 in greenville s.c. My interviewer says the job is pending the out come of drug and background check. I will pass those no problem but I live in lynchburg Va. 6 hours away is this worth going or do i have the job? any input would help thank you...David

satellitedriver

I have orientation on sept 10 in greenville s.c. My interviewer says the job is pending the out come of drug and background check. I will pass those no problem but I live in lynchburg Va. 6 hours away is this worth going or do i have the job? any input would help thank you...David
If you are not willing to drive 6 hrs to find out, you will not last at UPS.
I know I sound dogmatic, but the only people that last and thrive at UPS are the one's able to take the temporary hardship, to meet the decades of hardship involved in doing the job.
The job, from the outside, looks easy. It is because the hard core, long term drivers make it look easy.
I do not want to be a negative in your mind, just realistic.
PAX

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
If you are not willing to drive 6 hrs to find out, you will not last at UPS.
I know I sound dogmatic, but the only people that last and thrive at UPS are the one's able to take the temporary hardship, to meet the decades of hardship involved in doing the job.
The job, from the outside, looks easy. It is because the hard core, long term drivers make it look easy.
I do not want to be a negative in your mind, just realistic.
PAX

Could not have said it better myself. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, but dang 6 hours. IMO part time work isn't worth the drive, and if you go full time, a drive like that seems unbearable. I speak form a family mans view. After a hard day at UPS, there is nothing I want more than to be at home relaxing with my family. Working at UPS has allowed me to have a nice home in a great area, but there is a fine line between going to work to have nice things, and being away from home and never enjoying those things or your family because of work. And 6 hours just to get to and from work a day is crazy IMO.

dudebro

I'm assuming you're being oriented for FT driving in these comments, so if not, they may not apply.
In the grand scheme of things, what's a long day driving (or two) compared to what may be a life changing decision? I'm guessing you're in a very rural area and typically UPS FT drivers in those areas make a GREAT salary compared to most and live very well. Plus rural routes, compared to suburban ones, you get a lot of window time and fewer times on and off the car, so the wear and tear on your body may not be as tough. Based on that, I'd say it's worth the drive to find out. I don't think they would send you to orientation if you weren't going to be hired, but I could be wrong.

W

westsideworma

I think the job he is talking about is our sleeper team runs? Maybe?

I spoke with him in the chat room, he believed it to be a sleeper team run. So any help you guys could give him would be great as I didn't know much other than what the contract states. If its not hub/preload/package driver related I'm rubbish at explaining things or giving insight.

I asked my ups recruiter today how much I would be starting out at, She said .36 per mile that sounds very low for a ups job. I worked at JB Hunt at .36 per mile does this sound correct to anyone? Thanks for all the input guys.

W

westsideworma

I asked my ups recruiter today how much I would be starting out at, She said .36 per mile that sounds very low for a ups job. I worked at JB Hunt at .36 per mile does this sound correct to anyone? Thanks for all the input guys.

that sounds more like UPS Freight to me now, but I could be wrong, do sleeper teams have mileage progression?

tieguy

Banned

Could be the starting wage of a progression plan. Make the drive and find out. If its a ups sleeper job then they top out at 65.65 per mile for doubles once you go throug progression. Not too shabby .

so whats the difference with ups freight and sleeper? sorry i sound like i dont know much but really havent talked to much with recruiter I work all day and she leaves at 5 I get home 6. Just really excited about job at ups.

trickpony1

My understanding of truck lines like J B Hunt is you will be on the road for 3-5 weeks at a time with one day off given for each week on the road. I can't speak for UPS freight (LTL freight) but it's my understanding the UPS sleeper teams (small parcel) are on the road anywhere from 3-5 days a week. The remaining days are at their origin domicile (meaning your house) and, no, you can't take your truck home with you.
If it's UPS sleeper team (small parcel) and you don't mind being in a truck for 3-5 days at a time I would jump on it.
I really don't know alot about UPS freight other than they handle palletized, LTL (less than load) freight and shipments that clearly won't make it through our hubs conveyors and slides (such as 55 gal. drums, big spools of wire, etc.) Is UPS freight on dedicated 3-5 days runs? I don't know.
UPS sleeper teams (small parcel) are "no touch" freight and keep the truck moving to make time commits.
I would find out if you're being offered a UPS Freight (LTL) job or a UPS sleeper team (small parcel), "keep the truck moving" type of job.
Good Luck!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS freight was once overnight freight....sleeper teams are UPS feeder drivers.

I see UPS Freight sleeper tractors on the interstate all the time. I saw one yesterday that was painted a solid blue. I also finally saw a UPS Freight tractor that was painted with the new UPSF paint job and was pulling a UPSF trailer.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I see UPS Freight sleeper tractors on the interstate all the time. I saw one yesterday that was painted a solid blue. I also finally saw a UPS Freight tractor that was painted with the new UPSF paint job and was pulling a UPSF trailer.

we use a solid white one for our feeder sleep team. I see alot of new shortcab tractors from UPSF around my area.

raceanoncr

Could be the starting wage of a progression plan. Make the drive and find out. If its a ups sleeper job then they top out at 65.65 per mile for doubles once you go throug progression. Not too shabby .

New sleeper drivers off the street start progression just like hourly. Yeah, sleeper top out rate is 65.65 but that is split between two drivers. One good thing, tho, is this: Whether you're driving or sleeping, you're making the split rate, hourly or mileage. You don't quit making money till you get home for yer days off.