Delivering to customers later out of spite

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I disagree. This is how you end up with terrible customers. We have to be in charge of the situation. I refuse to let a customer tell me how to do my job.

Maybe my perception is different because I have had my route for almost 20 years. The only time I have customer issues with delivery time is when a new one moves onto the route. After a while they get used to the new delivery/pick up times as lng as it is consistent.

oldngray

nowhere special
Maybe my perception is different because I have had my route for almost 20 years. The only time I have customer issues with delivery time is when a new one moves onto the route. After a while they get used to the new delivery/pick up times as lng as it is consistent.

Except when they start moving work around between different drivers every day. Then nobody knows when a customer will get delivered.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Except when they start moving work around between different drivers every day. Then nobody knows when a customer will get delivered.

Then the customer has a legitimate gripe. The driver should then inform the customer that they are helping out the regular guy. Most times that will defuse the situation.

dogs.bite.me

If they are even just a little understanding about how our job is I will usually accommodate them and help then out. I find that happy customers make your day better and sometimes even hive incintives(Gatorade's, water)

If they aren't understanding at all after I explain the situation then I just say sorry I get here when I can and explain out next day services.

I don't go out of my way to make then later than normal but if they aren't all me me me me me then I will go out of my way to get them their stuff earlier.

Packmule

You will have a very short career if you focus on screwing rather than taking care of the customer.
upstate has a good point. Don't get cynical about all customers because of the few. Most are good people who understand what a rat race you live in.
Still you have to stand your ground CAREFULLY when need be.

BigBeef42

To the OP -

my second day out i was yelled at by an old mother, too many cuss words to count, for coming down his mile long driveway, ruts ruts and more ruts. He said i was doing 30mph. Impossible. His 5 dogs met me half way and wouldnt let me out of the car.

Lets just say if i ever have to deliver to him again i am EC'ing that stuff in a heartbeat.

Call me spitefull, but that guys a doooooch.
Sent using Ink and Canvas

I notice there is another sandwich here.

........this pleases me.
manwich.png

Future

Victory Ride
I'm a relatively new driver, 6 months in. But this situation has to happen and want to know of similar occurrences and feedback.

Situation one. Business on second floor, only entrance is a side door up a drive that can not be navigated. Awning is too low. A cigar shop so they get humidors and other large trade packages. I tried to get there everyday around 1. Brought all the stuff up the stairs. Most everyone would drop the stuff and run as the receiver is a fat idiot. One day I did not have them, it was put on a commercial route. At pickups I asked if they got a delivery. The guy says, "yeah, that driver knows how to do your job right, he got here at 11." I laugh, but fat idiot is serious. I had made this dude a priority to get delivered before 1 on a heavy industrial route, bring the stuff upstairs, and he seriously says that. From that point on he got his stuff around 4 and I left it at the door. After all, I don't know how to do my job right anyway.

Situation two. An apartment complex. Delivery to the office. I knock, hear someone talking. Knock again and again still hearing people talking. The office property manager opens the door shaking mad. "Don't you know I'm on the phone! I'm closed!" The office closes at 4:30. Its 4:35. She signs the board in a huff and I get out of there. A recent delivery attempt in the complex. Customer wants it left at the office. At the office the women says I'm not signing, I'm going on vacation and the office won't be open. Sorry customer, NI1. At this point, out of spite, I will purposely avoid that area till after 4:30 just not to deal with her or deliver her stuff. Let her pick it up.

Any similar stories?
In the first scenario are you Driver releasing a buisness stop? Big no no.........

Packmule

To the OP -

my second day out i was yelled at by an old mother, too many cuss words to count, for coming down his mile long driveway, ruts ruts and more ruts. He said i was doing 30mph. Impossible. His 5 dogs met me half way and wouldnt let me out of the car.

Lets just say if i ever have to deliver to him again i am EC'ing that stuff in a heartbeat.

Call me spitefull, but that guys a doooooch.
Sent using Ink and Canvas
This one is a no brainier. The dogs alone are all the reason you need not to go back there. We're told sheet it as NI1 and give it to the clerk to call them. Suggest a drop box out by the road.

otizanig

Not much you can do with the cigar shop. Deliver when Orion tells you to. If he's a pickup, then I would give extra effort.

For the apartment/rental office, ALSO deliver when Orion tells you to, unless it is for the office.
Being residential, you can deliver there at 11:59PM and not be late (according to UPS)

You are doing what you've been instructed to do, so you can't get in trouble for it.
Let management change the delivery order.

otizanig

I was told by sup that a apt building is all residential even office, I even had him reassure himself just to make sure so I wouldn't get in trouble I said ok I'm fine with that.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Had a veterinary clinic that was a real PITA to deal with, they ordered everything COD and took forever to cut checks ( "have a seat, the doctor is finishing a procedure and will be able to get some checks signed in a few minutes") and would call in complaints if you tried to NM1 them. To make matters worse, they closed for lunch from noon to 1:30 every day which was right in the normal time frame for delivery. My solution was to show up every day at 11:58, just as they were shutting down and getting ready to head out the door for lunch; this had an amazing effect on their sense of urgency in regards to getting COD checks written out and signed in a timely manner.

Had a veterinary clinic that was a real PITA to deal with, they ordered everything COD and took forever to cut checks ( "have a seat, the doctor is finishing a procedure and will be able to get some checks signed in a few minutes") and would call in complaints if you tried to NM1 them. To make matters worse, they closed for lunch from noon to 1:30 every day which was right in the normal time frame for delivery. My solution was to show up every day at 11:58, just as they were shutting down and getting ready to head out the door for lunch; this had an amazing effect on their sense of urgency in regards to getting COD checks written out and signed in a timely manner.
:likeit::bpotd: