denied funeral leave

Inthegame

We also bought used hardcover books, put the DM's name and address inside the front cover with an offer of a $50.00 reward if found and returned. We then left those books on park benches and in bus stations.
That's classic... but remind me not to get on your bad side. Many moons ago I'd send myself sealed housemail from the current CEO, and leave it in the office window for days so all the managers could get a look.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Had this happen to me, and filed my first ever grievance. I am in Ohio, My brother passed away unexpectedly. In texas. (Thankfully I had just went to visit him two months prior, hadnt seen him in 8 yrs) I emailed my obit, they knew why I was gone. Get back get my check, no funeral pay, they assure me next week. Get my check, nada. I won four hours pay and got paid 4 days, because of travel. You shouldnt have to fight. For funeral pay.

ViewAskew

Had this happen to me, and filed my first ever grievance. I am in Ohio, My brother passed away unexpectedly. In texas. (Thankfully I had just went to visit him two months prior, hadnt seen him in 8 yrs) I emailed my obit, they knew why I was gone. Get back get my check, no funeral pay, they assure me next week. Get my check, nada. I won four hours pay and got paid 4 days, because of travel. You shouldnt have to fight. For funeral pay.

Sorry for your loss. I recently had time off for a funeral and it was surprisingly paid out without question. I'm in Ohio; for whatever reason payroll here the last couple years has been an absolute mess. Glad you got your situation sorted out.

MitEman

Sorry. Been a while.
Worked thru 3 reigns of terror in my years. Last one was the worst. New Manager wanted to be a Division Manager. Didn't happen; chased out. Left many scars on some of the finest UPS'ers I've worked with.

My apologies to DennyHamlin for increasing your angst during your grieving. Know that there are good UPS'ers who understand the pain of death, and hope this gets worked out without further stress. It is all about UPS saving money, and if they can; they will!

clean hairy

Sorry for your loss.
One other thought is to make sure the pay code for those days off are for Funeral Leave.
It could "mistakenly" be coded as "called in" could be why you were not paid.
The Union should be able to make sure the pay code is correct.

Sorry for everyone's loss. This happened to a package driver in my bldg. His step daughter had past and his manager told him he couldn't take the time because she wasn't blood. I don't know what happened after that. I would have Lost my mind!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry for everyone's loss. This happened to a package driver in my bldg. His step daughter had past and his manager told him he couldn't take the time because she wasn't blood. I don't know what happened after that. I would have Lost my mind!

Technically the manager was right----step children are not on the list.

The driver clearly needed to be with his wife and the manager should have done all that he could to make that happen.

clean hairy

I could be mistaken, but if a Family Member who is not on the list passes away, (such as a Niece or Cousin) you could still take the Funeral Leave, it just would not be paid?
A former co-worker, his Father passed away out of state.
He took Funeral Leave, then had to take care his Fathers estate, was off about 3 weeks. Not sure if it was extended Funeral leave unpaid, or what type of leave if any he might have gotten to take.
This happened many years ago.

ManInBrown

I could be mistaken, but if a Family Member who is not on the list passes away, (such as a Niece or Cousin) you could still take the Funeral Leave, it just would not be paid?
A former co-worker, his Father passed away out of state.
He took Funeral Leave, then had to take care his Fathers estate, was off about 3 weeks. Not sure if it was extended Funeral leave unpaid, or what type of leave if any he might have gotten to take.
This happened many years ago.
I believe that would fall under FLMA. Sorry for your loss OP

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I was on vacation with my wife, visiting her mother in another state. Her mother passed away while we were there just before we were to drive back home. We used the four days I got for funeral leave up, and my wife was still too shaken up to even travel yet, so I called in to request an extra day. They said I didn't have any more time coming, so I said I'd use unpaid FMLA time. They told me I'd need to fill out the request forms. I said I would do that just send them to me.

They mailed the FMLA packet from the district office to her mother's home and we were back at our home by the time the packet arrived in the other state.

22.34life

update - BA is out of town but was advised by my usual contact in the office BA is good about checking messages, returning calls and handling any contractual issues.

PS. - cant believe during this time I have to play these games - It's more the principal then the $$$....
Your steward should be able to straighten this out at the center level this is not an issue that requires the ba.have u spoken with your steward

tapatio75

When my father passed away I was gone for 2 weeks, I was new to driving and I didn't know much about the contract (part timer for 2 years)

He was in Mexico, he died the day I got there, but he didn't leave a will so I had to stay and take care of some things while staying close to my mother.

I finally made it back, a couple of days after the center manager called me and kinda gave me a warning

I didn't know about funeral leave and now Im finding out about being paid. But my steward saved my job and the center manager agreed to use my vacation time that I was going to have in one month

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When my father passed away I was gone for 2 weeks, I was new to driving and I didn't know much about the contract (part timer for 2 years)

He was in Mexico, he died the day I got there, but he didn't leave a will so I had to stay and take care of some things while staying close to my mother.

I finally made it back, a couple of days after the center manager called me and kinda gave me a warning

I didn't know about funeral leave and now Im finding out about being paid. But my steward saved my job and the center manager agreed to use my vacation time that I was going to have in one month

You were very fortunate not to have been fired for job abandonment.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
hope everything works out for you . sorry for your loss.

when my father in law died the center manager told me i could not go home early as they did not have anyone to cover the rest of my run. i left anyway.

had to go out of town for the funeral and when i got back had to sign for a registered letter from ups . it was a 72 hour notice to report back to work or be terminated.

this is the company you work for.

You know me...
A member of my family passed away recently. When advising ft sup of days off needed I was advised would not receive funeral leave pay. He claims I am "too new". This prompted me to check my contract booklet for further clarification. From what I understand in article 29 section 2 of national agreement its a right for employees with seniority. (which I have.) Also the family member is listed in paragraph two. At this point I don't have lots of energy to deal with this but need to know who is right and be compensated if entitled to be. Plan to call union hall tomorrow also. Advice on how to handle anyone?

Let your BA know. This is a perfect opportunity for him/her to shame the hell out of the sup that denied it. What an a..hole