Funeral leave

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by 35years, Jul 21, 2019.

1. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

My FT sup was really cool (he is a great guy) texted me about my mother-in laws obit because the guys I work with wanted to know (not really). Upper management was probably breaking his chops about verification.

2. bowhnterdon

bowhnterdon Active Member

I was just messing with you,I have people have some with an endless supply of Grandparents..

3. Heavy Package

Heavy Package Well-Known Member

A supervisor texting you about a family obituary for "proof" is not a "great guy".

4. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

Your opinion. I know different

5. just chillin'

just chillin' Rest in peace wooba

i banged the day she passed and came in the next day and i wasn't ready. had a few emotional moments with guys giving condolences and my boss sent me home. ended up getting guaranteed 8 instead of pay actual which was very cool of him to do i thought. otherwise here its pretty much always been 4 days regardless of travel or weekend for a human death.

6. Scoot

Scoot Active Member

So my mother just died. Got a call on Tues from hospice that she could go anytime. I came off road that day and waited with her until Saturday when she finally passed. Hospice jumped the gun a little but there was no way of knowing.

Her wishes were no visitation or services. I have nothing to attend at this point. My question: Is there any chance I'm going to get bereavement pay for the 3 days I waited with her? It seems unlikely based on the wording of the contract. Not sure how much leeway they have with that.

7. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

Ask your center manager (not a sup). Some of them actually have a heart when it comes to a death in an employees family. Just my opinion but I would say you probably won't get paid but it never hurts to ask. Sorry for your loss.

8. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

The reason you will probably not get paid is because they would have to make a adjustment through payroll. They hate doing that and I've heard they get dinged for it. Still it doesn't hurt to ask.

9. 35years

35years Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. 35years

Is the 4 days contingent on travel for a pre-1982 member?

Thanks Bug.
    Not too many of us pre-1982 guys left!

11. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Just the immediate family members, initially mentioned.

It's just a straight 4 days. (paid)

Any other time off, would be at the discretion of the company. (un-paid)

12. 35years

Thanks