Depth of knowledge bs.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have no problems with the company teaching safety methods. Nobody wants to get hurt, crashes and injuries cost a lot of money. What I do have a problem is the logic or lack of in the methods. Some people, like myself, just aren't good at memorizing things word for word. I show up on time everyday, I usually run .30 under, and I don't hit anything with the package car.

I have "working knowledge" as my Divison Safety person says. We had a real Keter Audit one day and I failed a part of word for word on the Five Seeing Habits. I was given a Warning Letter for that. Grieved it to no avail, I consider that letter to be an insult. I have less accidents than most of our Circle of Honor members. Meanwhile, its the Safety Committee members who have most of the accidents and drive around with their cell phones to their face speeding through neighborhoods. I really don't understand how I am supposed to take safe working methods seriously from a company that doesn't think twice about over dispatching everybody everyday and then pays a few drivers to ride around spying on other drivers instead of delivering packages like they should be. I'm watching the older guys limping out the door every night because all of us are being pushed over our limits. At this point in my career, I'm just coasting to the finish line

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Can you refuse to fill out or recite the DOK stuff? Just say you don't care and walk away?

The union wants you to at least try and attempt to recite the stuff. Saying you don't care and just walking away isn't worth the harassment it will bring.

pretender

I have no problems with the company teaching safety methods. Nobody wants to get hurt, crashes and injuries cost a lot of money. What I do have a problem is the logic or lack of in the methods. Some people, like myself, just aren't good at memorizing things word for word. I show up on time everyday, I usually run .30 under, and I don't hit anything with the package car.

I have "working knowledge" as my Divison Safety person says. We had a real Keter Audit one day and I failed a part of word for word on the Five Seeing Habits. I was given a Warning Letter for that. Grieved it to no avail, I consider that letter to be an insult. I have less accidents than most of our Circle of Honor members. Meanwhile, its the Safety Committee members who have most of the accidents and drive around with their cell phones to their face speeding through neighborhoods. I really don't understand how I am supposed to take safe working methods seriously from a company that doesn't think twice about over dispatching everybody everyday and then pays a few drivers to ride around spying on other drivers instead of delivering packages like they should be. I'm watching the older guys limping out the door every night because all of us are being pushed over our limits. At this point in my career, I'm just coasting to the finish line

There is such a lack of COMMON SENSE! If you think about it, a "working knowledge" is better than being able to parrot the answers. Case in point: My wife is technically challenged when it comes to electronics. She can memorize all of the correct buttons to press, but if something goes wrong, she is stuck because she does not have a working knowledge...

laffter

We had a real Keter Audit one day and I failed a part of word for word on the Five Seeing Habits.

I'm going to assume that the strictness of Keter audits are the same for any employee at UPS (preload, drivers, sups, etc). I've been working preload for just under two years, and a few weeks ago was the first time I've actually been asked questions by one of those guys. Now, I've always been told that I need to recite this garbage word for word. Being able to recite something verbatim just means that you can memorize words well. Being able to explain something in your own words means you actually have an understanding of what they're asking you. I answered his questions in a combination of how I was told to answer them, and how I actually understood them. It wasn't verbatim by any means. I even mixed something up on one part, and he gave me an opportunity to correct myself. Maybe I just had a nice auditor, but I passed... as two sups took it upon themselves the next day to tell me. The guys who were grilling the pt time sup on my belt were not so nice. They even looked like a-holes.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I'm surprised they failed you for not knowing one part word for word. That's silly. You probably had a :censored2:y auditor.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's not a condition of employment. If you are being harassed file a grievance under article 37. Your business agent should have several decisions and agreements on this subject. Stick to your guns.

It was agreed, at the National Level.... back in 2008. I have posted this before.

Or, volunteer to come in thirty minute early (on "safety" time) to learn it.

If the company is offering to pay you.... Have at it.

​And then go Over 9.5 and file on it!

Yep

I'm not going to memorize this stuff word for word, I really don't care.

It's an option.

If you want to.... fine.

Mechanics are "harassed" with it as well. Mindless regurgitation and assimilation are two different things. I would prefer to utilise the time I have at my disposal in a more productive mannner rather than feel rushed and possibly less safe.

Kind of "hits the nail on the head".

We had a real Keter Audit one day and I failed a part of word for word on the Five Seeing Habits. I was given a Warning Letter for that.

So what.

The company can issue a warning letter for anything. Most, are worth the paper they are written on.

Can you refuse to fill out or recite the DOK stuff? Just say you don't care and walk away?

Give it a shot.

If you don't succeed.... You tried. The company will bring it up.... if you are involved in a bad accident.

The union wants you to at least try and attempt to recite the stuff.

That's not bad advice. Think about it.

​-Bug-

balland chain

Im sick of it dude. Lets be real some us can remember stuff better than others, thats a fact of life. That doesnt mean a guy or a gal who can spit it out word for word is any better a driver than a person who stumbles through it. Everybody has a different memory. Some people who have been out of school longer than others or those people with different issues such as anxiety,add or any other type of issue may have a harder time remembering it. Thats the truth and if someone wants to dogg that person for any of the those issues that the person may have is just not cool and its wrong.

The only reason they are doing all this BS is to try to save money for workers comp insurance premiums .. It is nothing but a dog and pony show just like all the pre planned audits..If the company really wanted to get a good idea of the daily operations, they would make surprise visits. But they dont want that.. They want it to appear to Atlanta that all is perfect.. My opinion on depth of knowledge is just another reason to discipline drivers who can not remember all the stuff.. And as jump man 23 stated the additional stress and anxiety that is intentionally placed on us makes it that much more difficult. With this new contract the company would save a ton of cash if they were able to fire us senior drivers who get 6 weeks vacation and bring in younger guys with the longer wage progression and much less vacation time.. It is only going to get worse!!!!!

browniehound

I wouldn't do that! No need to piss them off. If you really don't want to learn it just tell them you are trying your best.

I happen to not mind the DOKs. If they want to pay me $47.72 to come in and write on 2 pieces of paper twice a month, I'll take it. Its the easiest money I'll ever make at UPS. I do know them word for word but that doesn't change the way I drive. I drive defensively every day and I'm a very safe driver. It has nothing to do with the DOKs. It has to do with common sense and paying attention to the road and your surrondings.

How many drivers are actually thinking "imaginary target. baseball. dartboard"? when they drive down a street? Seriously, how many? Like zero. I know I'm thinking about my next stop and not baseballs or dartboards. Really? A dartboard 8-12 seconds down the road? lol. give me a break.

brostalss

I've managed to avoid the DOK quizzes for a few months now. They were hot and heavy on it but not so much lately. It's these stupid yellow cards verifying your NDA. If you are missing one, preload has to look for it and you can't leave until they sign off on it.

S

serenity now

I've managed to avoid the DOK quizzes for a few months now. They were hot and heavy on it but not so much lately. It's these stupid yellow cards verifying your NDA. If you are missing one, preload has to look for it and you can't leave until they sign off on it.

NDA verification lasted 1 week here.............

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We do not have a formal NDA verification program in place in my center but we are expected to verify the air in EDD with what is loaded on the car. We are also required to ODS the number of NDA that we pick up during the day. This is where we have been having the biggest problem---air being left on the package cars after the air shuttle has already left for the airport.

S

serenity now

we are required to remove all NDA and any Group 2's from the truck when we return to the building thereby absolving the reload of any blame

S

serenity now

how does relaying the # of airs help anything, if you then fail to remove them all?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

how does relaying the # of airs help anything, if you then fail to remove them all?

They do random check-in audits but the requirement was put in place to remind us of how important it is to make sure we segregate and remove all NDA. Left-on cars have gone down dramatically since we started sending in our totals.