Depth of Knowledge questions

Organic Steam

We had this going on at our center awhile back. Stewart said we didn't have to learn it on our own time. Well some of us didn't and some of us did. Well you can guess who was getting hassled for every little thing. Should have just read over them to begin with, would have saved me some headaches. Fly low and say off the radar.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Memorizing this crap is UPS' only way of preventing accidents. God forbid you would actually replace the 6 drivers that left last year so guys wouldn't be delivering 11 hour loads in ice and snow. But that's just me.

Brownnblue

I think its important to know the concepts and also be able to practice them at work. Its fine too if you can recite them word for word but I don't think we should be required to do so. I say this because I know there are a percentage of drivers with learning disabilites and they CAN'T memorize the stuff.

Oh, did you hit the nail on the head! If you are trained on the concepts of the various principals, wouldn't you not only be more inclined to know them, but apply them?

OK, class is in session. I say that when approaching an intersection, that you should look left, right, left as a minimum. Here are some examples that you might want to look more than left, right, left:

1) if the intersection is somehow at a unusual angle, or if the intersection has more than four streets.
2) if your professional driving experience tells you that the intersection is particularly dangerous.
3) if the intersection has places of business very close to the actual crossing
4) if you are unsure of the traffic light pattern
5) if there are pedestrians on the corner.

I bet you guys could come up with many more, especially in a classroom setting with A QUALIFIED TEACHER. Experience something like this, and you will never miss this principal when asked to regurgitate the 10 point commentary.

I've said it before, but it is worth repeating: I am trained better (light years better) to referee hockey games for eight year olds then I am to be a UPS driver.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
And how do you CYA on this? They could and probably would come back to you with stealing time, because you are setting and not delivering while on the clock.

Put it in as other work in your diad, big arrow down to safety training and add your time there. If questioned about this, tell them you were studying the safety criteria, as you have no other time to do this. May also help if you tell them that Steve The UPS Guy said it was okay.:wink2:

As the safety cochair, I'm going to ask for 30 minutes before start time once a week so we can memorize/retain the safety questions. You may ask your safety person to do the same. I'll let you know if I get shot down on either of these things.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Tell your manager to go pound sand. You are NOT required to study anything at home on your own time, and it is NOT a condition of employment to be able to regurgitate their acronyms and commentaries like a trained parakeet.

If its really that important to them, they can print the answers out on a laminated card for you to keep in your pocket, and when asked you can just read the commentary back to them. Thats what I do.

They have it laminated here, LOL. I keep mine in the back of my paperwork pouch. Don't think I've ever pulled it out, not even once. Well maybe once, but that was to get at something else I needed.:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
:rofl:

This is what your center manager will look like

Well, if my center manager wants another one, he'll galdly spend some of this.
istockphoto_243716-money-bag.jpg

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The bottom line is they can think of a way to put blame on anyone for any thing.. The 10 point commentary covers such a wide range of elements as well as the 5 seeing habits that no matter what happens ,one of those commandments can be applied!! Just to say the accident was not your fault,even if the police report says so and the Pope and a bus load of Nuns saw it ,they still could say it was avoidable........sickening but true....

thebrownbox

As a preloader I have to remember this and the 8 keys.. last year word has it our center failed pretty bad but they never came back to retest.. but yeah not looking forward to this.. besides they always come at wrong times when boxes are not stacked as high as the cars

rod

Retired 22 years
As a preloader I have to remember this and the 8 keys.. last year word has it our center failed pretty bad but they never came back to retest.. but yeah not looking forward to this.. besides they always come at wrong times when boxes are not stacked as high as the cars

might be a good time to trigger that avalanche:wink2:

thebrownbox

Ha I thought they might of been coming today.. supervistors were letting everyone know that we will be having "company" and to keep the area neat..

Ya sure.. since I do the mall truck just about every box and every other box was mine.. friken 30 large boxes of foot locker along with barns & noble 60lb magazine boxes and a supervisor from another belt who can't split ugh...

I loooooveee UPS! :D

browniehound

Oh, did you hit the nail on the head! If you are trained on the concepts of the various principals, wouldn't you not only be more inclined to know them, but apply them?

OK, class is in session. I say that when approaching an intersection, that you should look left, right, left as a minimum. Here are some examples that you might want to look more than left, right, left:

1) if the intersection is somehow at a unusual angle, or if the intersection has more than four streets.
2) if your professional driving experience tells you that the intersection is particularly dangerous.
3) if the intersection has places of business very close to the actual crossing
4) if you are unsure of the traffic light pattern
5) if there are pedestrians on the corner.

I bet you guys could come up with many more, especially in a classroom setting with A QUALIFIED TEACHER. Experience something like this, and you will never miss this principal when asked to regurgitate the 10 point commentary.

I've said it before, but it is worth repeating: I am trained better (light years better) to referee hockey games for eight year olds then I am to be a UPS driver.

Brownblue,
You make an excellent point. There are some intersections that I slow to an almost crawl and look L,R,L at least 3 times. I do this because I know its a very dangerous intersection and will be blamed for the accident even if I have the right away and the other driver blew a red light doing 90MPH while be chased by 3 police crusiers!

I do it out of habit. I do it with out knowing its number one on the 10 point commentary.

On the flip side, maybe UPS has something here. Maybe by blaming the driver for everything that happens on road, he will be more cognizant of what he is doing and therefore be safe.

It just hurts when you do everything right and still get de-merited.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Brownblue,
You make an excellent point. There are some intersections that I slow to an almost crawl and look L,R,L at least 3 times. I do this because I know its a very dangerous intersection and will be blamed for the accident even if I have the right away and the other driver blew a red light doing 90MPH while be chased by 3 police crusiers!

I do it out of habit. I do it with out knowing its number one on the 10 point commentary.

On the flip side, maybe UPS has something here. Maybe by blaming the driver for everything that happens on road, he will be more cognizant of what he is doing and therefore be safe.

It just hurts when you do everything right and still get de-merited.

Here, Here.:dissapointed:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
The bottom line is they can think of a way to put blame on anyone for any thing.. The 10 point commentary covers such a wide range of elements as well as the 5 seeing habits that no matter what happens ,one of those commandments can be applied!! Just to say the accident was not your fault,even if the police report says so and the Pope and a bus load of Nuns saw it ,they still could say it was avoidable........sickening but true....
I just had an Unavoidable hit while parked! Center MGR said that she would have parked in the same spot I did. Barely any damage to my truck, just a scratch as big as a dollar bill. No damage to the guy who admitted fault.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I just had an Unavoidable hit while parked! Center MGR said that she would have parked in the same spot I did. Barely any damage to my truck, just a scratch as big as a dollar bill. No damage to the guy who admitted fault.

Sorry UPS seeing eye habits include seeing into the future therefore knowing you would be hit while parked you should have moved to different spot therefore your accident is deemed AVOIDABLE but thank you for coming in today