DHL Out on Dec 10th?

BrownSuit

I wondered with the quest to aquire DHL business that UPS is trying
to recruit, what FedEx is doing to compete for those customers. FedEx.com is offering
discounts to those customers. Why in the world hasn't UPS implemented this tactic?
The less expensive service is why those former DHL customers used DHL in the first
place.

UPS has. The difference is that UPS discounts are tiered based on the customer's volume, whereas FedEx Discounts are flat and they are questionable. Our air rates are less than those of FedEx as it is, so our discounts would mean more to begin with.

brownIEman

What rules are you pointing out? We all understand seniority! Its spelled out in black and white in the good book, while sales leads are not and have not been bargained through the union.

So in this case it would make a great case to present to the company and maybe negotiate some rules, but until than there are no rules on who should get paid for it.

Whats right is right, and up on to your last post you had very good points and i really enjoyed the discussion, but now my friend you are just grasping. IMO

There are rules to the sales lead program. The main difference between those rules and seniority, as you point out, is they were not negotiated by two sides and written up in a legally binding contract. So, yes, the rules of the Sales lead program are more flexible. I was not trying to claim it was a perfect parallel to seniority, but just because the analogy is not perfect, does not mean there are not common characteristics. And just because the rules are subject to being subjectively reviewed, and hopefully for your friend, results altered based on a compelling case being made, does not mean that there are no rules.

But you know what? I will concede that point. Let us for the sake of discourse assume that the rules may be ignored and it does not matter who first put in the sales lead for this win. I agree with you that right is right, and it would seem right to me that the person who put in the most fruitful effort leading to the win of this large customer should get all or most of the reward.

The problem here is that you have not made a compelling case that it is indeed your friend that has put in the effort that has had the greatest impact on the company's decision to go to UPS.

How about answering a couple of question -
What is the position with the company of the guy your friend has been working with over the past couple years? You have not indicated if he is a decision maker or not. Has your friend been delivering packages nearly daily to the receiving and shipping clerk and extolling the virtues of UPS service to him? If so, while that is a great way to protect the shield, and certainly helps to get a friendly voice on the inside, it would pale in comparison to say the cousin of the company's VP in charge of transportation and logistics calling him from Wyoming and chatting with him taking a second look at UPS, and saying "Can I have a sale professional call you to talk about some fantastic discounts we could get for you with your volume" in terms of impact toward winning the volume.

Of course, we also have no idea what level of effort was put in by this other party, nor by the BD people who followed up on the lead. So here is another question, if you friend has been working on this company for a couple years, why is only now after the lead was turned in and BD followed up that the account was actually sold? I may be off on the time frames, if so, please correct me. Certainly I would have to ask if your friend had been working on these guys for 2 years, and it is as you claim, through his efforts that we have this win, why did this win not come 2 or even 1 year ago?

So, humor me, practice up for the case you will present to management in your district to win justice for you friend. Make your case.

705red

Browncafe Steward
There are rules to the sales lead program. The main difference between those rules and seniority, as you point out, is they were not negotiated by two sides and written up in a legally binding contract. So, yes, the rules of the Sales lead program are more flexible. I was not trying to claim it was a perfect parallel to seniority, but just because the analogy is not perfect, does not mean there are not common characteristics. And just because the rules are subject to being subjectively reviewed, and hopefully for your friend, results altered based on a compelling case being made, does not mean that there are no rules.

I see what you are saying, im concerned more with the rules that are negotiated on my behalf than ones that i have no control over, so we agree.

But you know what? I will concede that point. Let us for the sake of discourse assume that the rules may be ignored and it does not matter who first put in the sales lead for this win. I agree with you that right is right, and it would seem right to me that the person who put in the most fruitful effort leading to the win of this large customer should get all or most of the reward.

The problem here is that you have not made a compelling case that it is indeed your friend that has put in the effort that has had the greatest impact on the company's decision to go to UPS.

How about answering a couple of question -
What is the position with the company of the guy your friend has been working with over the past couple years? You have not indicated if he is a decision maker or not. Has your friend been delivering packages nearly daily to the receiving and shipping clerk and extolling the virtues of UPS service to him? If so, while that is a great way to protect the shield, and certainly helps to get a friendly voice on the inside, it would pale in comparison to say the cousin of the company's VP in charge of transportation and logistics calling him from Wyoming and chatting with him taking a second look at UPS, and saying "Can I have a sale professional call you to talk about some fantastic discounts we could get for you with your volume" in terms of impact toward winning the volume.

From my undersatnding its the shipping manager, the driver has bent over backwards for some time delivering all of the packages before 1030 and working this customer on the benefits of using ups.

Now bd has promised him they would give him the credit for the lead after the customer got involved, and i give the driver alot of credit for not going back and complaining to the customer on how he was shafted.

Of course, we also have no idea what level of effort was put in by this other party, nor by the BD people who followed up on the lead. So here is another question, if you friend has been working on this company for a couple years, why is only now after the lead was turned in and BD followed up that the account was actually sold? I may be off on the time frames, if so, please correct me. Certainly I would have to ask if your friend had been working on these guys for 2 years, and it is as you claim, through his efforts that we have this win, why did this win not come 2 or even 1 year ago?

So, humor me, practice up for the case you will present to management in your district to win justice for you friend. Make your case.

I have learned one thing from posting on this site! Especially because i am known, not to give out to much info, it only gives them time to prepare an argument for my position. So i am done with this unless the driver would like me to file for him. But it has been a pleasure having a good debate over an issue with someone in management, are you retired? lol

brownIEman

Back in the day I had a customer who started out small out of his basement,moved up to a small office at the time I had him on my route. He came to me and pointed out that the folks at UPS wouldn`t give him the software to automate his shipping. He was told he was to small. Now at the time UPS was setting up accounts with computers,software,training,etc,the works. This guy,being in the computer and software business,was only asking for the software as he had everything else he needed. He even offered to pay for it. I complained to my mgr,he complained to UPS all the way up to Atlanta,but we were told that BD said he was to small. When I told him I was leaving to go to feeder he said then he then had no reason to stay with UPS out of loyalty to me. Fast forward 14 years,he now has a large distribution ctr in an industrial park and has trailer fulls of packages all going by FedEx. When UPS comes sniffing around from time to time he shows them the letters from UPS saying they couldn`t service him because he was to small. He has 8 figure business income,7 figure personal income. I know this because my wife handles his finances for his family. UPS lost this because someone in BD didn`t have the common sense to look past their nose and see this guys potential. He was the last company I ever turned any leads/development info on. If you want maybe I can put in a good word for you when we go to his Xmas party.

I have a hard time buying this. I am betting there is a lot more to this story feeding into his reasons for going with FedEx than not giving him a free version of Maxiship. I was in TSG starting in 1993. Back then, we installed Maxiship systems in larger customers sites, essentially giving them one or more computers, label and report printers, my fellow techs and I would install and maintain these systems. The cost was considerable, so naturally it was only for customers that maintained certain volume levels. At that time, the software itself was not sold nor given to ANYONE outside this program, and could only be installed on UPS purchased hardware mostly for liability reasons. A couple years later, around '95 '96 we moved to Worldship which is the system we give out now. In any case, once we developed the stand alone system that could be installed by the customer on their own hardware, we gave it to EVERYONE, free, gratis, have at, download from UPS.com all you want. Whether you ship a thousand pieces a month or none ever. There was never a time when we would let some people have the software only and not others because they were "too small". Once we started giving out the software, we would give it to anyone who would sign a release ( the same release you agree to by clicking install on every piece of commercial software you have ever put on your computer, basically saying you will not sue the maker of the software even if it destroys all your data, melts your hard drive, and spanks your kids). Think about it. The ONLY thing that software did was help you to use UPS to ship. It made it easier for you to give UPS revenue. It made it a breeze to essentially donate to the MIP and dividends of the UPS shareholders. For the cost of exactly zippolla to UPS.

And you bought it when this guy told you UPS would not give it to him because he was too small? It makes no sense.

brownIEman

I head a sup talking about why we don't have Microsoft as a shipper, when Bill Gates was working out of a garage UPS wouldn't give him a set pickup time because he was too small, more money for FedEx.

I am putting my money on urban legend with this one. When Bill Gates was working out of "his garage" it was the mid to early 70's and Federal express was only giving express service to certain major metropolitan areas. They had no general ground service, and we had no next day air service of any kind. Was really apples and oranges at that point.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is hysterical...I called Red out on name calling and now all my posts have been depleted. Sounds like the democratic Teamster machine rolling...what a joke!

One of the moderators did remove several posts from a couple of posters in this thread where there was some name calling. And it just wasn't yours deleted. Calling people names does nothing to the discussion. If you are not able debate a point, then perhaps you need to move in. It appears to me that you started it this round, and this isn't the first time.

I have a hard time buying this. I am betting there is a lot more to this story feeding into his reasons for going with FedEx than not giving him a free version of Maxiship. I was in TSG starting in 1993. Back then, we installed Maxiship systems in larger customers sites, essentially giving them one or more computers, label and report printers, my fellow techs and I would install and maintain these systems. The cost was considerable, so naturally it was only for customers that maintained certain volume levels. At that time, the software itself was not sold nor given to ANYONE outside this program, and could only be installed on UPS purchased hardware mostly for liability reasons. A couple years later, around '95 '96 we moved to Worldship which is the system we give out now. In any case, once we developed the stand alone system that could be installed by the customer on their own hardware, we gave it to EVERYONE, free, gratis, have at, download from UPS.com all you want. Whether you ship a thousand pieces a month or none ever. There was never a time when we would let some people have the software only and not others because they were "too small". Once we started giving out the software, we would give it to anyone who would sign a release ( the same release you agree to by clicking install on every piece of commercial software you have ever put on your computer, basically saying you will not sue the maker of the software even if it destroys all your data, melts your hard drive, and spanks your kids). Think about it. The ONLY thing that software did was help you to use UPS to ship. It made it easier for you to give UPS revenue. It made it a breeze to essentially donate to the MIP and dividends of the UPS shareholders. For the cost of exactly zippolla to UPS.

And you bought it when this guy told you UPS would not give it to him because he was too small? It makes no sense.

He was my customer from 89-96. I was the one who humped his stuff out of his basement,out of his little office when he moved up from that. I was the one who complained on our side to my OC sup,may center manager,to the sales person we saw.and gave him the number to Atlanta. BD came out once over the entire time I handled him as a customer. Whatever you call your program it was during the transition from hand written pickup books to computer generated books. When I left for feeder,he left for FedEx. No BS about it.

Mike Hawk

I am putting my money on urban legend with this one. When Bill Gates was working out of "his garage" it was the mid to early 70's and Federal express was only giving express service to certain major metropolitan areas. They had no general ground service, and we had no next day air service of any kind. Was really apples and oranges at that point.
He may not have swiched to FedEx then and there, but he was unhappy with our service then and is with FedEx now.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS has. The difference is that UPS discounts are tiered based on the customer's volume, whereas FedEx Discounts are flat and they are questionable. Our air rates are less than those of FedEx as it is, so our discounts would mean more to begin with.

Are you positive about this, or is this for Large sized shippers?

zeus2ez

The bleeding continues...UPS mentioned in the article may benefit.
ABX Air got notice Friday that DHL will discontinue a substantial portion of its operations in Wilmington on January 4.
That means 1,000 workers at the Wilmington worksite will lose their jobs.
DHL will keep daytime package sorting on Sundays and night-time sorting will continue.
ABX Air has already eliminated about 2,700 workers since May.

International operations will remain at the former Clinton County Air Force Base until DHL finalizes a contract with UPS and transfers that work to Louisville.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Are you positive about this, or is this for Large sized shippers?

our air rates start 5-8% lower than fedex for busienss customers.

The confusing part for customers is becasue we have two rates at UPS, the retail rate and the daily rate. It is the daily rate that is lower and as a customer, you get those base rates if you have a daily pickup or average $50 per week - edit - for four weeks

as a daily pickup, you also get Worldship software - i huge advantage over fedex. you can do small package, hundredweight, international (paperless commercial invoices) LTL, and heavy air freight all one one piece of software.

BigBrownSanta

The confusing part for customers is becasue we have two rates at UPS, the retail rate and the daily rate. It is the daily rate that is lower and as a customer, you get those base rates if you have a daily pickup or average $50 per week - edit - for four weeks

as a daily pickup, you also get Worldship software - i huge advantage over fedex. you can do small package, hundredweight, international (paperless commercial invoices) LTL, and heavy air freight all one one piece of software.

Is this Worldship software free to all daily pickup accounts? If so, why do I still have paper record pickup accounts? In fact, why do we have any paper record pickup accounts still?

barnyard

KTM rider
Is this Worldship software free to all daily pickup accounts? If so, why do I still have paper record pickup accounts? In fact, why do we have any paper record pickup accounts still?

I have several paper, daily pick up accounts. The won't change because in two cases, they do not have internet access (seriously); in another case, the shipping person refuses to learn something new and she is close enough to retirement that the shipping manager does not want to fight about it.

There is also a financial incentive for scrapping the book. It is cheaper to use either internet shipping or worldship.

Getting on topic. I picked up 2 accounts Monday. Both ship urine samples for drug testing and both were DHL accounts. Both are testing us and Fedex and whoever does better, will get the volume. Which is kind of surprising, because either will be significantly better than DHLs 'service.'

TB

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Dhl is still out delivering and some customers are really going to wait until the new year to switch over. Ups is now after all of the fededx volume, they are going after it ALL. After the economy starts to pick up and there is no dhl to take a cut of volume ups is going to be on a hiring spree, especially with the folks hired in the late 70's and early 80's leaving its going to be caught not prepared, maybe not in 2009, but you all wait and see...especially in feeder.

cheddar

So, has anyone seen former DHL employees being hired by UPS?
After 11 years as a driver for a DHL/Airborne Express subcontractor, I lost my job in November. I am now doing the driver helper thing with the intention of getting my foot in the door with UPS. I've been with the same driver for 6 days now (3 to 5.5 hours per day) and he said hours will increase this week and he's keeping me on through the peak. So, I guess I'm doing something right. 60% more stops per day and a much faster pace than what I was used to is leaving me very sore, but I'll get through it and am actually enjoying the challenge!
After christmas, I plan to get a dock job if at all possible to stay with the company and start the climb upwards.
Do you guys think my prior experience will move me out of the sort and onto the road any faster than the inexperienced college kids that are usually hired for package handling jobs? (the station is very close to a large university)
I'm just wondering if UPS welcomes the experience or hesitates with former DHL drivers....

cheddar (in Arizona)

Do you guys think my prior experience will move me out of the sort and onto the road any faster than the inexperienced college kids that are usually hired for package handling jobs? (the station is very close to a large university)
I'm just wondering if UPS welcomes the experience or hesitates with former DHL drivers....

cheddar (in Arizona)
I don't see how you prior experience will help you much. One reason for the doubt is the seniority structure of UPS/Teamsters. Another is that while UPS may like that you have delivered parcels before, the methods and details of UPS are much different that DHL, UPS will have to re-train you same as a complete newbie. I'm not trying to discourage you but I wouldn't put alot of stock on the previous work being a factor. Good luck to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As long as you provide good service and are a hard, loyal worker I don't think that the DHL previous hurts you at all.

The expectations of a DHL driver pale in comparison to those of a UPS driver, whether it be service, attitude or appearance. While prior experience can never hurt, any new hires who had previously driven for DHL will have to be "re-trained" in the methods used by UPS. Also, as the DHL helper mentioned above, the workload is much more than what they were used to and production standards are much higher. This is not to say that they could not make the transition but, as trp said, they would have to go through the seniority process just like anyone else.