dhl / Yellow freight ?

Big Babooba

Final point for me.......this is actually for the package car guys out there. Remember not too long ago when Fedex ground was just getting going. They were getting killed, spending Billions on infrastructure and so many were laughing and saying, "These guys will never turn a profit". Well.....you're out on the street.....you're seeing quite a few trucks nowadays right? No one is laughing anymore. They're competing.
These guys said the same about us.

Big Babooba

By the way, an employee of the old REA Express was named John Emery. He founded Emery Express in 1946 which was eventually bought by Consolidated Freight. UPS eventually bought CF's air freight division and it became part of UPS Logistics. Funny how things work out in the end.

Last edited:
DHL in this area is a franchise owned by a couple of guys out of Dallas. I forget how many towns their franchise covers, but it's three or four. Their drivers are getting screwed. They get paid on a straight salary that is less than 1/2 of our 40 hour week. They have to pay for their insurance from that and have zero retirement. The only thing going in their favor is the fact that their trucks have A/C which is what the bosses point out to them regularly. The one DHL driver I personally know is a good guy, like him enough to hang out a drink a beer or two. His is one of the better routes in his center, works around 45 hours a week.
In our neck of the woods, DHL is getting some of our business simply because of lower costs. However their unreliable delivery record usually sends the customers back to us.

david cassin

dublinbrown
back in 1989 while i was working for ups's agent in ireland ups were one vote away from buying dhl.also what put them off was that everything they had was leased trucks buildings we (ups) even leased them some of our planes.we should buy tnt and we could and would compete against dhl more so in europe and asia.
dhl service not great either most use them for price only not too bothered abaout service.
it might have taken ups a while to make aprofit in europe but we are contributing to the coffers with volume and profits.dhl or any company will not substain the losses and keep pumping money into their u.s
counterparts.:happy2: