DIAD 5

We've talked about GPS before. GPS does not give you an address, but rather lat and long of a delivery. The way UPS locates an address is by a collection of historical data points for deliveries sheeted to that address. If a driver sits in a vacant lot and DRs a bunch of packages, or meets his customers there for the delivery, that's where UPS will think the address
is.
I beg to differ. On the area I have been doing for the last 3-4 months had a house that had not previously been lived in since PALS, EDD, PAS etc was part of our daily lives. A few weeks after these folks moved in another driver DRed a package at the side door. They claimed they didn't get the package and I was given a copy of the google GPS map with the scan and stop complete marked with Xes noted and the address for the house (that had not gotten a package since the system was installed) showed up a block away in a vacant lot. No one had been sheeting packages for that address anywhere because no one had lived there previously.
On a field test of the GPS, there was a driver covering a route where all the stops in this one section were coming up with GPS warnings. Turns out the normal driver was meeting customers under a tree in the mall parking lot, so UPS thought (based on historical data) that all of those addresses were in the mall parking lot.
I do understand what you are saying here and have seen it happen when a RR was delivered in town on a regular basis because the resident wanted the package delivered to her work place, then when she was on vaca I had to take it to her house and the DIAD said I was not in the right place.

Steven
Just today, for like 10 stops, I was warned by the GPS, even though I was at the correct address. I don't know what was going on.

I have had that a few times, I was told that meant one of the Satalite hookups was not working right and the GPS could not co-ordinate the location. True or not, hellifIknow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

maybe thats true for package car drivers but im a freight driver so we carry class As obviously, we have to know it

Don't get so self righteous. I'm in pkg and I have a class A also. for almost 20 yrs now.

CD, although you may not have meant it, your post has a tone about it which dilli read as self righteous and I have to agree with her. You can off as a "real" truck driver and as such put yourself above us lowly pkg car drivers.

BTW, he is a she and is her husband's buddy.

browniehound

They said likely some time in 2010.

If you read the posts here, its clear the dilemma they are in...

Some people want it small.
Some want it the same size.
Everyone wants it with more keys (so you don't have to shift) which means the keys will be smaller.
Then of course there is concern about using it with gloves.

The examples they showed us seemed okay. They are all smaller than the current DIAD, no shift key, and seems reasonable to use.

P-Man

I think its the perfect size that allows it to provide the superior delivery informantion over Fed-Ex. Their's is smaller but I don't think it transmits as much data instantly.

It could be little smaller but I have small hands and would believe that its perfect for average size hands. I can perform many DIAD functions with one hand but must put it down to handle certain parcels. This costs time at bulk stops, but other than this and the toggle key (that I have mastered but still don't like) Its pretty darn good

backinbrown

respect my authority
pedometer to see how far i have walked and calories burned

with an attachment to hook up my serius sat radio

must listen to howard stern

I've never heard Howard Stern utter one thing that I found remotely interesting.

I wouldn't mind if I could get some good tunes out of the DIAD though.

Hedley_Lamarr

Ok everybody,

By now most of the Package Drivers in the country are probably using DIAD 4. I'm sure by now, UPS is probably designing the next version, DIAD 5. As the people who actually will use this thing, what improvements (besides getting rid of the Shift Key?:hammer: ) would you like to see?
Moving the signature button, so when you hand the DIAD to any right handed person they don't hit it and then ask "uhhh what did I do here??"

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've never heard Howard Stern utter one thing that I found remotely interesting.

I wouldn't mind if I could get some good tunes out of the DIAD though.

Would make a heck of an MP3 player.:wink2:

Moving the signature button, so when you hand the DIAD to any right handed person they don't hit it and then ask "uhhh what did I do here??"

Not only that, but a better signature pad. I hear, I hate these things, at least 100 times a day.