DIAD 6

Brown 8888

So it's a pain in the ass but yeah, you can see apartment and suite numbers. You have to open the stop, and you'll see the Start Navigation screen pop up. Beneath that there'll be just a "Start" option. Hit that, and a screen pops up with all the packages for an address' tracking numbers.

For apartments, the tracking number will look like "1Z9999999999999999 308 ; 6147." 308 is the apartment number, and I believe 6147 is the PAL/HIN.

The one cool thing is that the "Start" screen opens up the delivery and lets you stop complete without scanning anything. I could see that screwing over a careless driver, though.

**Also, if you want to mark a package as Not Found, you do it from that same screen by swiping left on the tracking info. You'll get the Not Found and Non-Deliver options from there, but there are easier ways to NI1.

***Most of the notes seem to be in icon format now. Calltags, sig required, preferred delivery location, high values, etc etc. You can see the icons from your EDD screen, and if you open up a stop there should be a small print explanation of the icons. Eventually you'll start to recognize them but it's a hell of a learning curve when you switch to 6.

So it's a pain in the ass but yeah, you can see apartment and suite numbers. You have to open the stop, and you'll see the Start Navigation screen pop up. Beneath that there'll be just a "Start" option. Hit that, and a screen pops up with all the packages for an address' tracking numbers.

For apartments, the tracking number will look like "1Z9999999999999999 308 ; 6147." 308 is the apartment number, and I believe 6147 is the PAL/HIN.

The one cool thing is that the "Start" screen opens up the delivery and lets you stop complete without scanning anything. I could see that screwing over a careless driver, though.

**Also, if you want to mark a package as Not Found, you do it from that same screen by swiping left on the tracking info. You'll get the Not Found and Non-Deliver options from there, but there are easier ways to NI1.

***Most of the notes seem to be in icon format now. Calltags, sig required, preferred delivery location, high values, etc etc. You can see the icons from your EDD screen, and if you open up a stop there should be a small print explanation of the icons. Eventually you'll start to recognize them but it's a hell of a learning curve when you switch to 6.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Very helpful 👍

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Depends on the glove. It works with these:

but like you said, not in the rain.
Their fix is to put I piece of packing tape over the touch screen when it's raining.

20211120_085421.jpg

My wife bought me these touch screen gloves. They work "ok".

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Their fix is to put I piece of packing tape over the touch screen when it's raining.

View attachment 360542

My wife bought me these touch screen gloves. They work "ok".
We got an “update”to the 6 this week. It’s been a pretty good machine since then. Crashes still a lot, I just reset and keep delivering then tap those in later. You guys have any problems with them?

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
You guys have any problems with them?

Lots. This past week, every time we would stop complete a stop, the DIAD would randomly kick 5-10 stops out of the board. By the time I got to my tenth or so stop, I only had about 20 left.

The solution? Punch out and then re-punch in. I had to do it about 4 times before it stopped randomly kicking stops out of the board. According to a supervisor, this was happening across the entire district. The timecards were a mess. The OMS screen displayed drivers "signed in" to 4 or 5 boards because of the mess.

It would also randomly crash throughout the day, although mine only did once or twice. Some drivers reported in upwards of 15 times.

Everything about this board is counterintuitive. There's nowhere to grab it out of the cradle without hitting random buttons like the ring volume. If you brush your hand against the screen you'll wind up opening some random stop you didn't want. With all the added steps I spend more time buried in a screen than I was with the older DIAD.

UPS should not have released these things in this state. The OS is Android and has tons of overhead, running like 6 or 7 apps in the background, some of which randomly crash causing the DIAD to freeze up for no reason. It's clear this hardware does not have the processing power to handle everything it needs to do.

"CaMelCaRaVaN hAs StOpPeD rUnNiNg"

I should not have to hard restart the board multiple times a day just to get it to work. What amazes me is that this basic operating system has been in existence on the PVD/helper phones since 2018 and they still can't get it to run correctly. The PVD phones crash just as much.

This DIAD 6 feels like someone in IT had to justify their existence and UPS' partnership with Honeywell/Android to the shareholders.

Isn't this GREATt? UPS is now a leader in cutting edge delivery technology thanks to our cross collaborative efforts with Honeywell and Android to create a more efficient system that provides real time feedback and delivery information blah blah blah blah blah....

And don't even think about using it in the rain.

BrownStains

Why is it every piece of new stuff that ups rolls out is crap? Nothing seems to be designed to benefit to help us do our jobs better or more efficiently. Upper management is detached from the realities of the job.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
We got an “update”to the 6 this week. It’s been a pretty good machine since then. Crashes still a lot, I just reset and keep delivering then tap those in later. You guys have any problems with them?
Same deal.

Once it starts to slow down, I'll reboot it & keep working.

I did have an issue with it once this week, where I had to reboot it several times in a row, then it logged me out completely.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
So, we were told it wasn’t supposed to roll out til late February. But there was a shortage of working Diad 5s so they rolled these out before the network was 100 percent.

pkgdriver

Wish I had the 6 cover driving thrity something years ago. The keys next to the scan button access some of the functions of the touch screen. The arrow to the right SHOULD pass you through ”start” “continue” etc. Of course front door porch etc can be done from the keyboard. If any newbies dont know how to filter air commits to the top of the list let me/us know.

pkgdriver

Lots. This past week, every time we would stop complete a stop, the DIAD would randomly kick 5-10 stops out of the board. By the time I got to my tenth or so stop, I only had about 20 left.

The solution? Punch out and then re-punch in. I had to do it about 4 times before it stopped randomly kicking stops out of the board. According to a supervisor, this was happening across the entire district. The timecards were a mess. The OMS screen displayed drivers "signed in" to 4 or 5 boards because of the mess.

It would also randomly crash throughout the day, although mine only did once or twice. Some drivers reported in upwards of 15 times.

Everything about this board is counterintuitive. There's nowhere to grab it out of the cradle without hitting random buttons like the ring volume. If you brush your hand against the screen you'll wind up opening some random stop you didn't want. With all the added steps I spend more time buried in a screen than I was with the older DIAD.

UPS should not have released these things in this state. The OS is Android and has tons of overhead, running like 6 or 7 apps in the background, some of which randomly crash causing the DIAD to freeze up for no reason. It's clear this hardware does not have the processing power to handle everything it needs to do.

"CaMelCaRaVaN hAs StOpPeD rUnNiNg"

I should not have to hard restart the board multiple times a day just to get it to work. What amazes me is that this basic operating system has been in existence on the PVD/helper phones since 2018 and they still can't get it to run correctly. The PVD phones crash just as much.

This DIAD 6 feels like someone in IT had to justify their existence and UPS' partnership with Honeywell/Android to the shareholders.

Isn't this GREATt? UPS is now a leader in cutting edge delivery technology thanks to our cross collaborative efforts with Honeywell and Android to create a more efficient system that provides real time feedback and delivery information blah blah blah blah blah....

And don't even think about using it in the rain.
Not that it has anything to do with the 6, working in the rain with paper sucked.

PPH_over_9000

Wish I had the 6 cover driving thrity something years ago. The keys next to the scan button access some of the functions of the touch screen. The arrow to the right SHOULD pass you through ”start” “continue” etc. Of course front door porch etc can be done from the keyboard. If any newbies dont know how to filter air commits to the top of the list let me/us know.
That arrow button also functions as "Stop Complete."

Saves so much time when those softkeys on the bottom prevent you from completing the stop.

It's useful that the buttons do what they do, I just wish I could use it one-handed like I could with the diad 5. I'm slowly getting used to it, though.

No :censored2:, I'll give it a try next time it rains.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Can you input room/suite numbers without using the touchscreen? Can you access non delivery without using touchscreen? Can you even select "yes" or "no" when someone uses mychoice to request rear door delivery without using the touchscreen?

AKCoverMan

So, we were told it wasn’t supposed to roll out til late February. But there was a shortage of working Diad 5s so they rolled these out before the network was 100 percent.
See we were told it HAD to be now because ATT was discontinuing 3G network on Feb 01.

I mean that’s been in the works for two years but suddenly it’s a big surprise to Big Brown.

We can’t finishes routes in 12 hours and of course ups says to lie and blame the weather. Haven’t had new snow in almost two weeks everything plowed and sanded no problem.

Apparently poor planning and poor implementation now are considered “severe weather events”.

pkgdriver

See we were told it HAD to be now because ATT was discontinuing 3G network on Feb 01.

I mean that’s been in the works for two years but suddenly it’s a big surprise to Big Brown.

We can’t finishes routes in 12 hours and of course ups says to lie and blame the weather. Haven’t had new snow in almost two weeks everything plowed and sanded no problem.

Apparently poor planning and poor implementation now are considered “severe weather events”.
I believe they started using the 6 about two years ago in a couple of centers. Should be farther along by now I would think. Probably put the ORION team in charge of it.

Brown 8888

That arrow button also functions as "Stop Complete."

Saves so much time when those softkeys on the bottom prevent you from completing the stop.

It's useful that the buttons do what they do, I just wish I could use it one-handed like I could with the diad 5. I'm slowly getting used to it, though.

No :censored2:, I'll give it a try next time it r

How do you filter air commit times to the top of the board?

pkgdriver

How do you filter air commit times to the top of the board?
The top right of the 6 has three periods. Hit this and a menu should drop down. Sort/filter will bring you a menu. Hit the time button ,hit continue. This SHOULD bring them to the top. The menu also has the light function and others.

My build has blue for deliveries and red icon for pickups. No other colors for air commit times in the map mode. Hopefully this will be added.

PPH_over_9000

The top right of the 6 has three periods. Hit this and a menu should drop down. Sort/filter will bring you a menu. Hit the time button ,hit continue. This SHOULD bring them to the top. The menu also has the light function and others.

My build has blue for deliveries and red icon for pickups. No other colors for air commit times in the map mode. Hopefully this will be added.

But don't make a rookie mistake and leave the board sorted that way! Find your commits and then Filter/Sort again without selecting Time to get your delivery list to revert back to it's original order.

Some days it won't mess you up, and others it'll have you running all over your route if you keep the list sorted by commits after delivering all your commit packages.

If you Filter/Sort and everything drops out of your board, make sure the first six buttons are highlighted. If you de-select any of the first six, there's a good chance you're going to hide your work from the board. It'll still be there, you just won't be able to see it without reverting the filter settings.