Diad questions?

New Englander

It's not to cover butts.

PAS and EDD, like them or not. Is why that will eventually be changed. He's not attempting to make any delivery attempt but the one to the office. Yet taking credit for individual stops. I told him we were doing it and management ended it. Yet his panties got all bunched up or something.

UPS at some point will take the additional time given for that away from us and treat it as one stop and you can sheet them how you'd like. Right or wrong.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He's not, he's going to the office and dumping them all there as 1 stop. That entire dorm should get PAL'd as one stop to the office. Plain and simple. At some point it will be.

It's like going to a college mail room where they take everything and getting 15 to 20 stops because they were addressed to the dorms and not the mail room, or the PALS have not been fixed yet etc.....

Not going to fly in the long run.

It's not a dorm. It is an apt complex for college students where the office mgr has a standing policy which she relays to each student that all pkgs, whether it be UPS, FedEx, or USPS, go to her. It is actually much safer and much more effecient for us to do this as this is not a safe DR situation by any means.

I also deliver to a college and, you are right, they are all delivered to the warehouse and they all count as one stop. Doing otherwise would be padding stops. On that we do agree.

Kid, you need to realize that there are others who also know what they are doing out there, maybe even a tad bit better than you do.

New Englander

It's not a dorm. It is an apt complex for college students where the office mgr has a standing policy which she relays to each student that all pkgs, whether it be UPS, FedEx, or USPS, go to her. It is actually much safer and much more effecient for us to do this as this is not a safe DR situation by any means.

I also deliver to a college and, you are right, they are all delivered to the warehouse and they all count as one stop. Doing otherwise would be padding stops. On that we do agree.

Kid, you need to realize that there are others who also know what they are doing out there, maybe even a tad bit better than you do.

It's the same freaken thing, lol. How is it different?

H

hseofpayne

Riddle me this Riddler, How do the students know they received a pkg? This is what made the apt manager where I lived stop taking pkgs, her pkg room was filled to the gills w/ pkgs for people who had no idea they had a pkg or worse yet, had moved! Even had an office worker fired for stealing pkgs from folks who had moved. My point is, if you haven't placed an info notice SOMEWHERE, you haven't made more than one stop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Riddle me this Riddler, How do the students know they received a pkg? This is what made the apt manager where I lived stop taking pkgs, her pkg room was filled to the gills w/ pkgs for people who had no idea they had a pkg or worse yet, had moved! Even had an office worker fired for stealing pkgs from folks who had moved. My point is, if you haven't placed an info notice SOMEWHERE, you haven't made more than one stop.

The office manager puts a note in their mail slots. This was the method for this stop long before I bid this route and will continue to be long after I retire as it works for all parties involved.

BigBrownSanta

That sounds shady to me too. If you aren't going to each individual dorm or apartment to attempt delivery, then those aren't additional stops. You may need to use the other 2 left at choices on that screen... LA Res Dup or LA Com Dup.

I have a school that gets packages with multiple addresses. I sheet all packages to their labeled address then use LA Com Dup and leave all packages at one office.

I also have a supermarket that wants stuff delivered to various locations such as floral or video or the dock or the office. I attempt each location, but if someone isn't there to sign, I will leave the packages at a different location and use LA Com without the Dup.

filthpig

Believe me the DIAD isn't hard to master. It's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... get the point?

H

hseofpayne

Believe me the DIAD isn't hard to master. It's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... get the point?

Are you suggesting it is repetitive?:happy2:

That is padding your numbers, we had several drivers doing it in our center.
Management put a stop to it.

If your making one delivery to the office and not individual rooms. It all goes under the office address. As one stop.

It may be different where you are but I'm sure at some point it will filter your way.

I was told if the building was build before the last time study (about 1986) you sheet separately and use left at dup. If it was newer you could use left at and pad those stops.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Perhaps in order to protect your flank you could scan info notices for each student and have manager place them in there mail slots so student would know they had a pkg.

I used to deliver a very rural area that had a lot of weekend people that had a po box. The general store was across the street from the post office. If I had no stops in the consignees area I would leave the pkgs at the store but would go to the po and mail info notices to the customer so they knew they had a pkg. The delivery notice(service, info) in those days were about the same size as a post card. The store got more walk in customers, the customer got there pkg & I wasn't out till 8 or 9pm on a Friday deliverying!

H

hseofpayne

I used to deliver a very rural area that had a lot of weekend people that had a po box. The general store was across the street from the post office. If I had no stops in the consignees area I would leave the pkgs at the store but would go to the po and mail info notices to the customer so they knew they had a pkg. The delivery notice(service, info) in those days were about the same size as a post card. The store got more walk in customers, the customer got there pkg & I wasn't out till 8 or 9pm on a Friday deliverying!

I used to have a small town like that too! Shadydale, Ga., just sounds country don't it? The town only had one resturant so I would go there at lunch and scan the parking lot for familiar trucks( a lot of farmers, dairy farmers). I used to either throw the big boxes in the back of their trucks or go walking in and hand out small pkgs at the tables. I got a kick out of it and so did the customers. When swing drivers would run the rte., they would have 50 miles more than I did sometimes! Ah, the good ole days!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Matt, isn't that what they used to call "customer service"? It sounds as though your customers have a driver who truly takes care of them.

New Englander

Matt, isn't that what they used to call "customer service"? It sounds as though your customers have a driver who truly takes care of them.

That worked here until those people stopped purchasing items from the store. One was actually a book store that did it - till we started delivering amazon.com books to them for their one time customers.

People change, not always for the better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That worked here until those people stopped purchasing items from the store. One was actually a book store that did it - till we started delivering amazon.com books to them for their one time customers.

People change, not always for the better.

Good point and one that I hadn't thought of.

I also had a small town on my rural route that had a general store and some of the customers who lived out in the middle of nowhere would ask that I deliver their pkgs to the store. The store owner liked it because, more often than not, they would leave the store with more than just the pkg that I had left, so it was a win-win situation for all. And it was all done without padding stops. (Sorry, NE, couldn't resist.)

We y'all are talking about is "Area Knowledge", UpState has the area knowledge to leave the packages at the mangers office, the residents are notified by the manager and this is NOT stop padding IF the address label on the package (not the pal) is different on each piece.
New England, of course your management put a stop to the same situation that UpState described, he probably even called it padding stops or stealing time by inflating stop counts. And we all know that managers never lie to be self serving, right? By disallowing the multi-stop in this way, they get to add 4,5, 6 or more stops to your truck without increasing your stop count. Who's stealing time from who?

New Englander

We y'all are talking about is "Area Knowledge", UpState has the area knowledge to leave the packages at the mangers office, the residents are notified by the manager and this is NOT stop padding IF the address label on the package (not the pal) is different on each piece.
New England, of course your management put a stop to the same situation that UpState described, he probably even called it padding stops or stealing time by inflating stop counts. And we all know that managers never lie to be self serving, right? By disallowing the multi-stop in this way, they get to add 4,5, 6 or more stops to your truck without increasing your stop count. Who's stealing time from who?

It's simple - did you make one stop or multiple stops?

My example from prior - colleges usually have a mail room that takes everything for their students and most buildings. Lot's of times these packages DO NOT have the mail room address on them, they have individual addresses but UPS pal's them all to the mail room.

Are you taking individual stops? Or one stop for it.

It's the same for him. He isn't attempting to delivering them individually he's delivering them as a bulk stop.

Everyone has their opinion on it - but common sense would say your making one delivery attempt there.

It's simple - did you make one stop or multiple stops?

My example from prior - colleges usually have a mail room that takes everything for their students and most buildings. Lot's of times these packages DO NOT have the mail room address on them, they have individual addresses but UPS pal's them all to the mail room.

Are you taking individual stops? Or one stop for it.

It's the same for him. He isn't attempting to delivering them individually he's delivering them as a bulk stop.

Everyone has their opinion on it - but common sense would say your making one delivery attempt there.
They can make the pal come out any way they please. We DO NOT or SHOULD NOT deliver by the PAL, this should be done by the address on the package unless we know it to be wrong, then an address correction is called for.
If you have a resi that receives pkgs on a regular but is seldom home and they have told you to leave them next door you indirect them right? Of course you do. OK, when the next door neighbor has a pkg that day also, do you count that as one stop or two? I'm bettin' two. Samey samey.