Did partimers just royally just friend themselves ?

Nimnim

The Nim
I raised the question about if PTers really outnumber FTers when it comes to voting because the transient nature of PT employees either doesn't allow them to vote, they don't plan on being around long enough to care to vote, and I'm not sure it was covered but they weren't informed enough to vote. https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/do-part-timers-really-outnumber-full-timers.378258/

While reading this thread I've seen comments about how new hires are really not trained at all and the lack of training with the crap pay and hours produces people who don't want to stick around.

I saw the Head Training Sup not long ago tell a new hire they haven't been to the mentoring sessions. The mentoring sessions are basically members of the "Safety" committee teaching the new hires the DoK. I told the Sup that didn't exist when I was a new hire over 10 years ago because the training sups back then, while not usually good at the job, knew how to do it and could at least tell a new hire in the unload not to throw and irreg down a ladder but put it on the slide next to the belt instead. Head Training Sup could only walk away.

They can't train the new PTers right, I don't think the local even has stewards visit the new hire classes anymore(RTW here in FL) as they'd have to convince them to join while there's almost no benefit for them unless they stay for years.

I can't see the spotlight on PTers not voting to have been that big of a difference if they all voted. How many of the PTers were actually eligible to vote vs the FTers? The turnout sucked, 45% was incredible compared to what I've seen past turnouts to be, but it still sucks. How much greater would the turnout have been if it removed people with less than 3 months with the company from the voting pool? Shouldn't take 3 months to be eligible after hire, but with the revolving door I'm sure there's quite a few who haven't shown up but have not actually quit or are intending to leave within a few months.

UPSerSheik

Victim of mediocrity
It's not all on the part-timers this time. In my building everybody I talked to voted. However most of the drivers are vote yes guys, saying they don't want to work weekends and they want the $40 top rate an hour. And I know plenty of others near retirement who have the "I got mine so the hell with everyone else" mindset and don't give a crap either way.

The union planned this from the start regardless of how many people voted. If it wasn't this technicality it would be another. I even heard from one driver that our BA told him they were trying to "force the contract through ASAP". Coincidence? If not than that's a pretty lousy excuse we got back from the union.

mikejonesjr

Part timers aren't screwing anyone. It's the fact they don't require a year or 2 of seniority to vote. If someone hasn't invested any time yet at UPS they shouldn't be expected to vote. New hires don't grasp how things work yet since they haven't put the time in yet. It's the equivalent of requiring a 13 year old to vote in the Presidential election even tho they have no understanding of it, just to hit a made up quota of 50% voter turnout.

Johney

Now the spotlight is on partimers not voting and how they are now dictating full timers contracts which isn't seen as fair. I could see the union either separating the voting somehow and if that happens you partimers are :censored2:ed. You think you have it bad now? Just wait and see how bad it is when full timers arent fighting with you at contract time.
Are you assuming that all the part timers were going to vote no?

DirtySouth

Now the spotlight is on partimers not voting and how they are now dictating full timers contracts which isn't seen as fair. I could see the union either separating the voting somehow and if that happens you partimers are :censored2:ed. You think you have it bad now? Just wait and see how bad it is when full timers arent fighting with you at contract time.

There is no actual evidence to this claim.

There might be some merit in it, but we never see a break down in ballot numbers between PT/FT. Unless we see those numbers (we won't, if they were even logged) this is purely anecodtal.

Maplewood

There are probably more part-time than full-time so part-timers could dictate everything if they gave a :censored2:.

MAKAVELI

You are correct but that doesn't change the impact partimers have on full timers. I can't see mebers looking past that after this crazy voting debacle.
It has nothing to do with the part timers and everything to do with your leadership. You are simply playing right into the divide and conquer game. My understanding is there are an overwhelming majority of part timers and could really control your contract if they wanted to. Instead of blaming your union brothers you should be trying to unify and take control from your union leadership.

quamba 638

My building has about 400 pt workers 50% have been there 2 years or less. They don’t care about the union or company. How hard is that to understand for everyone bashing the “pt voters”. They are there for the tuition assistance and some beer money. It’s frustrating that 50% loophole exists, but why hate one some person that has ZERO intention on staying at UPS after college? I guarantee the top 200 PT employees at my building was over 80% in voting turnout. The bottom probably 10%.

quamba 638

Also, part time employees that worked at UPS over 5 years are equally frustrated with the kids who don’t vote. The 50% stipulation has to be removed to be fair.

llamainmypocket

The more I get to know you the less I like you. How you voted no is beyond my comprehension. I simply don't believe it. Maybe you got confused by principles you don't actually have.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
The more I get to know you the less I like you. How you voted no is beyond my comprehension. I simply don't believe it. Maybe you got confused by principles you don't actually have.

And that, kids, is the story of how UPS turned the part timers and the drivers against each other, and killed the union.

Drink Craft Beer

Looks like someone's pretty pissed off

RbgYhzI.gif

Dude, you have no idea who voted and who didn't. You're just assuming and speculating. If you want to start ****ing over PT'ers so you can sleep better at night after your 12hr day, then more power to ya and go :censored2: yourself while you're at it.

Last edited:

Big Heavy Package Handler

Don’t categorize all part timers like that. I’ve been with UPS for 3 years now and I am very active within the Union. I voted no and got around 5 fellow part timers who would’ve not voted at all to also vote no. The problem is the new hires that don’t care or are going to be leaving soon. I think that in order for your vote to count you should have to be there for at least a couple years. People with 2 months seniority should not be counted as a possible voter! Also, I blame most of this on our Union leadership (yes the top dogs too) but specifically local unions who aren’t encouraging people to vote. Not 1 time did my union steward or union rep talk to me about voting until the ballots were already counted. Lastly, no offense, but the people that got :censored2:ed the most from this contract were definitely part timers. Luckily, I only have about 6-8 more months until I’ll be driving. Thank God.