Disappointed New Driver: "Is this the norm"?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Who in the hell grows up not knowing how to drive a standard transmission?

Saw this on the back of a jeep.
flat,1000x1000,075,friend.u2.jpg

It required the ability to drive a stick, so I hired a guy to teach me to drive his stick.

@Indecisi0n?

Once I finished my route, 3 hours ahead of normal (I had a combination of numerous businesses, residential, and apartment complexes which was never predictable) and volunteered to do more work and did 2 pickups for 2 other drivers, and a blind route to help another driver, and all my sup told me was " Your supposed to be able to do this every day".No "Thanks for helping out" or God forbid "Good job, today". Man,seriously guys, a little acknowledgement goes a long way, after a long day!

Work on shifting your locus of control from exterior to interior. Be satisfied with yourself for doing a good job.

"What can I do, to make this experience work for ME?"..and I have yet to come up with an answer.

Brush that dirt off your shoulder and watch your bank account grow.

Time to make lunch, pack water, and iron my uniform now, in hopes of a better tomorrow...

Hang up your uniform straight out of the dryer, that's good enough. Don't give them any more of your personal time than absolutely necessary.

CoolStoryBro

UPS is looking for people who can get their dump on proper in the AM.

I watched a youtube video about preparing for Army Ranger school. One point the instructor made was being in control of you body. He had seen many people fail out because they needed to take a dump at a critical time in the training. Take care of that when you have down time.

UPS weeds people out. UPS doesn't train people.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Nope.

We just come in and do our jobs, giving them a good day, but never trying to be the "best" driver that we can be.

A fair days work for a fair days pay.

Correct.

Welcome to UPS.

It is.

You never heard the drivers look at their loads in the morning and bitch and moan?

You never heard of drivers bitching about the long hours?

I don't believe you never heard this.

That's not what Integrad does. Nothing does, except for doing the job and learning how to cope and manage.

It takes time, but you will get it, maybe.

Welcome to UPS.

You know their attitude, so adjust yours.

I never could understand this, unless you're trying to qualify.

Welcome to UPS.

It doesn't.

Welcome to UPS.

You'll learn, rookie.

Welcome to UPS.

Welcome to UPS.

9.5 list and an attitude change.

Tomorrow will be the same as today until you change your attitude and expectations.

Good luck.
So in a nut shell, they don’t give a friend about your safety and well-being so we don’t give a friend about their harassment and numbers....work one stop at a time no matter what safely , take your lunch and breaks, 9.5 the s out of them go home repeat the next day

If you are looking for an "atta boy" and a clap on the back. This ain't the job for you. Do the best you can and ignore the rest. You say you think management should foster a friendly, loving environment. :censored2: rolls downhill. Local management gets reemed by their bosses way worse than what we have to hear
Thank you sir...

There’s no way you saw a female driver “pee on herself” because she had to make a pickup. Grow a set and drop anchor. You shoulda never ran in the first place. That’s on you.

You got two options, you can gradually drop anchor, or you can go in tomorrow and bring it in at 11pm. I recommend the latter. Rip the band aid right off and give them a peek into the next 20 years. Good luck
Lol! Let me clarify: She held herself because we had about 270 stops to finish that day, and had a scheduled pick up at 5 she had to make and thought she could make it to the pick up spot, where there was a bathroom. She looked over at me in the truck when we arrived (about 4:50) and started laughing and said "Oops, I didn't make it, I done pee'd on myself,lol"! She then walked off with a huge wet spot to the ladies room and changed.We both laughed about it, but it was just the fact that she was more concerned with making the pick up, then emptying her bladder.So, no, she didn't pee in front of me, she pee'd her pants.I like your toughness,sir:)

I totally feel your pain. I used to be just like you. This job is 95% mental toughness. Don’t let it get to you. If the stress is that bad you just need to start looking for other work. I knew early on this wasn’t for me. Lined up a new career and 2019 will hopefully be my last year. This job is great in some ways but it ain’t worth it to some.
Exactly. I like the job too, however, it seems to come with unnecessary mental battery, that everyone else I've talked to goes through as well.

davidix

New drivers shouldn't come here to vent its filled with weirdos..

Also I 100% agree. Out of all the jobs I've had this one takes the cake. It is by far the most unprofessional environment I've ever been around. I think you'll learn to understand drivers are professional survivors. Everyone has their limit of bull:censored2: they take and dish out.

The light at the end of the tunnel is max pay. You'll be laughing all the way to bank.

Besides 9.5 is around the corner.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Glad to be retired from UPS after 34 years in a package car. But it boils down to if you want a job that pays well with benefits that allow you to take care of your family, or a job at Mickey D’s or Wally World that allow you time off to be with your family.

As bad as I hated getting up every day and jumping on and off that truck, not too many jobs out there offering what UPS does. If you get lucky enough to find a good paying job, most offer poor insurance or no retirement.

kforte36

This is a shout out to my fellow drivers, new and veterans, as a way of saying that I sympathize, and understand what you go through on a daily basis, and this post is a way of saying I understand your sacrifices, appreciate your service and hard work, and know that the money that comes with it doesn't in any way reflect your true worth, when it comes to the environment of mental games and abuse of authority that seems to be the culture you must accept as a driver-which I believe isn't necessary at all. I wholeheartedly believe that at least 97% of the adult men and women that is a full, part time, or cover driver shows up to be the best driver they can, and better than the day before, so they can make it as early as possible to their last stop, which is "home"..

However, it appears our manager and supervisors could care less about what our intentions are, as opposed to what our packages per hour say that we are. This is an unfair assessment of our capabilities due to the many challenges drivers face, and I believe in the best interest of the company, needs to be changed in order to improve performance, motivationally inspire, and boost morale.

When I first started ay UPS as a sorter, my goal was to become a driver.I was told it was a good paying job, with good benefits, and job security. However, I was never told at what cost these things would come at.

I used to walk by the trucks and imagine myself in them. It was always impressive to see people driving these trucks in my neighborhood, determined, focused, and always appearing to have a sense of urgency.However, I noticed one thing was always missing-a smile.

When I got my first call to become a driver, I was excited! Finally, my life was aligning with my goal. It required the ability to drive a stick, so I hired a guy to teach me to drive his stick. Well, the trucks were different than his car, and I failed my first driving test. It was devastating, but I didn't give up. I went out and bought me a used car for $2500 with manual transmission, to hopefully insure I passed the next time.It became my primary vehicle, and I was going to be ready, to be ready- to be ready!

So, another 3 month's I worked at sort and got the call for a second try. I got excited again, and this time- I passed the test! I'm on my way, right? Wrong! Due to the lack of time ( class shortened by one day) spent on diad 5 training that I personally needed, I dq'ed myself when I realized I wasn't going to get this route with just 2 days of training, and headed back to sort aisle one more time. This time I was disappointed, however, I was sure with more diad training I'll nail it next time.

Well, peak season came up and once again, I got called for Intergrad. This was awesome because unlike the first 2 times there was a mock town and stops, and experiences you may encounter were acted out, however, it was cut a day short. I believe one more day of driving and diad training,would have contributed to more drivers passing.Unfortunately, it appeared the company needed drivers asap, and couldn't afford to have us in class, when "class" could be you driving a route immediately in real time!

Well, this time I passed again, and was ready to go! Well, at least that's what I thought. NOTHING could have prepared for the mental stress and anxiety, that you have to endure being a driver-good or bad-.and that's a shame.

I say this because, the joy of becoming a driver was slowly deteriorating for me with every verbally abusive statement from a sup, every mis-loaded and brick loaded truck (due to unhappy and underpaid loaders) and the lack of compassion and understanding for simply "being human". Management would want to know "Why it took you fifteen minutes to go to McDonalds" and you have to explain "Because I need to take a dump"! Really, guys, everyone's entitled to take a dump or piss as needed! That's a human right!

You have drivers not taking lunches-to scratch, peeing in cups- to scratch ( I even once as a helper witnessed a driver peeing on herself, because she needed to make a pick up by 5 during peak) and showing up an hour earlier to try and organize their trucks on their own time-to scratch- and you reward them with verbal battery, public berating in front of customers, and humiliating them in front of their fellow employees? How does this help anyone to become a better driver, and be inspired to do so?

Once I finished my route, 3 hours ahead of normal (I had a combination of numerous businesses, residential, and apartment complexes which was never predictable) and volunteered to do more work and did 2 pickups for 2 other drivers, and a blind route to help another driver, and all my sup told me was " Your supposed to be able to do this every day".No "Thanks for helping out" or God forbid "Good job, today". Man,seriously guys, a little acknowledgement goes a long way, after a long day!

I don't expect UPS to change "what's been working for them", however, as a new driver who once enjoyed the experience of meeting the residents, business owners, and that good feeling of independence you get when you're alone in your truck- those experiences are now tainted, with the daily high expectations you'll never meet, high stress that never dissipates, and high anxiety that never goes away,because it now comes with those experiences- and that's "disappointing".

I don't know how much longer I'll be driving, however, when you're faced with 10-12 hour days, a toxic work environment, and a loving wife and kids who you only get to see while they're still in bed in the mornings and fast asleep at night, you are left with the question "What can I do, to make this experience work for ME?"..and I have yet to come up with an answer.

Time to make lunch, pack water, and iron my uniform now, in hopes of a better tomorrow...
You make very fair and reasonable points. Management thinks we are robots that can't ever break down or slow down. At the same time, as a 22.4 driver doing the exact same job as "regular" drivers for 50% less pay and are given more stops, it's hard to feel sympathy for drivers who have worked the same job their entire life without any perspective to draw upon. I worked for the Postal Service before coming to UPS and was not made aware of a lower payscale for the same job. "Regular" drivers were never subject to such payscale. Most veteran drivers have no idea how good they have it compared to 99% of the average Americans. But I do agree that management's expectations are too unrealistic.

Box Ox

Management thinks we are robots that can't ever break down or slow down.

They know UPSers aren't robots. They just can't care because they're evaluated on their ability to make UPSers think they are. Boosts their numbers. They'll do what it takes to put food on their tables. But that's their problem alone. Union hourlies shouldn't care how high corporate wants management to jump because it's not good for their safety or longevity.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
You make very fair and reasonable points. Management thinks we are robots that can't ever break down or slow down. At the same time, as a 22.4 driver doing the exact same job as "regular" drivers for 50% less pay and are given more stops, it's hard to feel sympathy for drivers who have worked the same job their entire life without any perspective to draw upon. I worked for the Postal Service before coming to UPS and was not made aware of a lower payscale for the same job. "Regular" drivers were never subject to such payscale. Most veteran drivers have no idea how good they have it compared to 99% of the average Americans. But I do agree that management's expectations are too unrealistic.
Geeeezus man

Who hurt you today?

Are you going to revive every thread about 224s and unfair treatment at your center?

I hope you aren't at Jeff street because your posts will bring their street cred down.

There's another south somewhere that doesn't cry either.

Just start a thread of your own rants and put it all in there.

It can be like your diary.

Bandwidth helping

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
No way. The post office is terrible. It takes 12 years to get the top pay of $30 an hour. Walking 12 miles a day. Not worth it
where I'm at the next job would have to be transit driver. Then the only thing that would ruin your day is somebody putting their bike on the front rack and you not being able to complete a turn with their bike sticking out lol.