Discharged for returning to the building with packages

whoknows

I hate waiting for answers and I feel like enough isn't being done. I just need more opinions and information as I do not work at UPS but a very close friend does. One night my friend was working and he had several packages on a UHaul, no organization or method of the packages. My friend had a lot of trouble finding them so the ones he could not find, he documented it (idk how that works, but he said he did it properly). He then goes about delivering the rest and before he knows it, it is pitch black outside and he is in a sketchy area of town, so he feels unsafe. He called whatever sup that was on duty and told them that he felt unsafe but he still had several packages to deliver and the sup tells him if he doesn't feel safe then he can make that call on whether to come back or not. He didn't get around to doubling back to the other packages he missed earlier in the day, so 20 or so packages were not delivered. The next day, he went in and he was discharged. They told him that it wasn't unsafe, but how do they know that? They said he just didn't want to deliver those packages. Might I add, they are all the time yelling at everyone about over-time and their center is an absolute mess and EVERYONE has overtime. He has never been in any kind of trouble, this is the very first time. He usually just does whatever they tell him without question. Anyone care to give some input? Thanks!

Last edited:

whoknows

You don't know enough to answer the questions we need answered to be able to help you. Your close friend will just have to wait to get his job back.
I think I know quite a bit about it, maybe not. You could try to ask the questions - or help me understand even more? I just asked about the union rep because I've seen several other post say that if the union rep was there then they contact the BA. You only contact the BA if the union rep "doesnt know how to or want to do their job."

I have so many questions that he doesn't even know because he has never been in this type of situation.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think I know quite a bit about it, maybe not. You could try to ask the questions - or help me understand even more? I just asked about the union rep because I've seen several other post say that if the union rep was there then they contact the BA. You only contact the BA if the union rep "doesnt know how to or want to do their job."

Did your friend sheet the packages as missed? Or did he not sheet them?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

The Union Rep is the BA, different terms, same job. You may be thinking of the Steward.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I hate waiting for answers and I feel like enough isn't being done. I just need more opinions and information as I do not work at UPS but a very close friend does. One night my friend was working and he had several packages on a UHaul, no organization or method of the packages. My friend had a lot of trouble finding them so the ones he could not find, he documented it (idk how that works, but he said he did it properly). He then goes about delivering the rest and before he knows it, it is pitch black outside and he is in a sketchy area of town, so he feels unsafe. He called whatever sup that was on duty and told them that he felt unsafe but he still had several packages to deliver and the sup tells him if he doesn't feel safe then he can make that call on whether to come back or not. He didn't get around to doubling back to the other packages he missed earlier in the day, so 20 or so packages were not delivered. The next day, he went in and he was discharged. They told him that it wasn't unsafe, but how do they know that? They said he just didn't want to deliver those packages. Might I add, they are all the time yelling at everyone about over-time and their center is an absolute mess and EVERYONE has overtime. He has never been in any kind of trouble, this is the very first time. He usually just does whatever they tell him without question. Anyone care to give some input? Thanks!

your friend is out of a job seems like he would have plenty of time to ask these questions himself

maybe you should MYOB

whoknows

your friend is out of a job seems like he would have plenty of time to ask these questions himself

maybe you should MYOB
Well he did and he told me everything. They are saying that he didn't follow directions, when they took him into the meeting to fire him he let them know he was told to make a judgement call and they didn't know that so they pretty much went back on everything they said about firing him, told him he was suspended, then his union person said he wasnt and hed be back this week, then he called today and they told him he was discharged. It seems to me that they aren't handling procedures correctly. He's so confused about it that he might as well be an outsider like me. I don't think he looks for forums like this because hit clouds his judgement and expectations. I told him I would try to look for anything I could to help him understand better, so he doesnt mind that im in his business. Thanks for your help though! :)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well he did and he told me everything. They are saying that he didn't follow directions, when they took him into the meeting to fire him he let them know he was told to make a judgement call and they didn't know that so they pretty much went back on everything they said about firing him, told him he was suspended, then his union person said he wasnt and hed be back this week, then he called today and they told him he was discharged. It seems to me that they aren't handling procedures correctly. He's so confused about it that he might as well be an outsider like me. I don't think he looks for forums like this because hit clouds his judgement and expectations. I told him I would try to look for anything I could to help him understand better, so he doesnt mind that im in his business. Thanks for your help though! :)

way tldr
I stand by my statement

whoknows

Terminations are usually fought by the Business Agent not just a steward. He needs to talk to his Business Agent
Like I've read in different post, they say that it is the Steward's job to get in contact with the Business Agent. Is it procedure for them just to go ahead and contact the BA or is that something that needs to be brought up or just done by the employee?

nWo

He will probably eventually get his job back. But he needs to call his BA and figure out what's going on.

whoknows

Why would he only sheet half of them as missed? Every package gets a scan. He needs to know that.
Now that is a question I can not fully answer. I'm not sure. I know he just sheeted half of them as he couldn't find them on the route and then when he got into the sketchy part of town he just went ahead and went back to the building. He claims that whenever he had taken packages that hadnt been attempted to be delivered before this, he never had to do it.

whoknows

He will probably eventually get his job back. But he needs to call his BA and figure out what's going on.
The other part about it is that no one is really communicating what exactly is going on. First they had the intention of firing him, then he was suspended, then he wasnt, and then he had to call today for them to tell him he was discharged. It seemed as if he didn't call no one would say anything which (in my opinion that has no relevance) thats kind of sketch.

whoknows

When someone loses and then gets their job back, do they begin at the bottom as a new driver or do they pick up where they were before?