Disciplinary Action

Cementups

Box Monkey
I got distracted after reading a few postings and not sure if this was covered but I want to add that you should start being on time. Even if you are 1 minute late you forfeit your right to your guaranteed 3.5 hours paid.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Don't worry too much about Discipline. As a Part time Employee so long as you come to work every day,on time,dont steal,and conduct yourself in a professional manner you pretty much have a job for life. When they learn you'll trade Warning Letters for Grievances they will find someone weaker to pick on. Stand up for yourself,you have much more to lose if you dont

What'dyabringmetoday???

You need to be careful with that advice--if you are told to punch out and go home you need to do just that. It is not your place to hang around for whatever reason. I forget the term they use but they can discipline you for failing to work as directed.
If supervisors are working, you should certainly "hang around". When I say "if" I mean "when".

laffter

What the hell was said here?! ^

Laffter, start times are posted, and you need to be there on time. Quit times are not, if they want you off by a certain time they need to tell you each day. Seniority matters here, if they send you home before your done and you have seniority over someone who gets to work longer, you should grieve. Sup's working, they make you leave, ask your steward to watch, he can stay and watch, if he has big enough balls, he can do it on the clock, as they kicked you out, and he is now doing union business, code as union business. Grieve the sup working always, it will end, till then it is easy money. BE ON TIME!

When I'm still in the building until times like 9:12, the union steward is likely long gone, along with any other part time employees who have higher seniority than me.

I disagree with the OP about not needing to tell the company about a greivance.

I think you agree with me then. If I said I don't "need" to, then I meant that I am not required to. It is not part of the required steps. But I did say that I was going to, because I believe in communication.

Last edited:

QKRSTKR

We do agree.

Here is what's in the contract for central region supp. The grievance shall be discussed with the employee's immediate supervisor or with the aggrieved employee and shop steward. If the grievance is not resolved within one working day; it shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within 5 working days.

stink219

OP, always stick to facts and as short as possible.
1. You were late 10 times.
2. You were told to punch out.
3. You worked as directed.
4. Sup finished the work for you.

Above Broken Down:
1. If your worried about the lateness, the must adhere to progressive discipline. So did they bring the lateness to your attention. Btw, being a minute late based on time clock does not reflect an infraction on reporting to duty if others use the same device to punch in/out (case heard nationally).

2. You followed direction.

3. You followed direction.

4. Sup and manager knowingly violated the national bargaining agreement.

Just grieve it! Always remember, it's their building, their boxes, their belts, their trucks, BUT, IT'S OUR WORK!!! Please protect that for the rest of your sisters and brothers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
laffter,
A local business receives a daily bulk shipment totaling anywhere from a couple hundred packages to over a thousand. The packages arrive buried in what's typically the last set of trailers to arrive into our building, usually around 7:30AM, and the loader typically doesn't see them until around 8:00AM. At that point, he/she needs to scan each package, load it onto a pallet, shrink wrap the pallet and use a pallet jack to move it into place on the trailer its loaded onto. The person is also responsible for loading one mall van (in addition to other stops on the trailer), and if there's a break in the flow early on, has to work in the unload briefly (and it's a 10-minute walk round-trip from his/her area to the unload). Management demands the area be wrapped up within 3.5 hours, regardless of what time the crux of the volume arrived or how many packages there are.

In the 13 years I've worked here, there's been over a hundred, and probably over a couple hundred, people (myself included) who've loaded the area. Most quit within days, management will move others within weeks. Despite constant threats, intimidation & harassment, nobody's been fired. I guess it's easier to pretend a problem doesn't exist rather than fixing it.

laffter

To make a quick update, I went over five by nine minutes last Tuesday and nobody said a word to me.

My part time sup was probably right when he told me that although he was told to make sure I do not go over five hours on any given day, it was probably just their "thing" that day and will likely be forgotten about quickly.

UPSGUY72

If they are directing you to be off the clock by 9:00am then at 8:57am stop whatever you are doing, clock out and leave. Doesn't matter what the truck or load looks like. When asked why you left just tell them you are working as directed.

STOP Never leave your work area until you are told your done especially if there is work that needs to be done. Don't take it upon yourself to punch out before your are told your done that is just setting yourself up for more trouble...