Dish Network or Direct TV?

tourists24

Ok ,,,, I am giving my cable company the boot... too many things ticking me off about them to mention... Sooooo,,, going to satellite tv.... question is: which one?

Anyone have any input as to which one is better? or is there really a difference? internet connections any good?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok ,,,, I am giving my cable company the boot... too many things ticking me off about them to mention... Sooooo,,, going to satellite tv.... question is: which one?

Anyone have any input as to which one is better? or is there really a difference? internet connections any good?

DISH > more towards people who watch movies

Direct TV more geared towards sports.

Cost seems to be about the same.

Believe you are Verizon, so no bundle with ATT for Direct like there is in GA.

Internet Connections - not aware they offer that.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been with DirectTV for many years--- never had a problem with them. As for losing the signal during a strom - yes it sometimes happens - but VERY seldom and not for long when it happens.

bratman61

I use to have Direct tv and had to many billing problems, now i have Dish and no problems.although bad weather does effect the signal.

rod

Retired 22 years
I should add that DirectTV at the moment is giving us 3 months free of the Showtime channels because we have been such "loyal customers." Also this weekend has been a free HBO channels weekend so we have had plenty of movies to choose from if we wanted to. We don't normally subscribe to any Premium channels , but it is nice to get them once in awhile for free.

Theichii

Direct tv so i don't have to deliver the box, the call tag, the box again, then a call tag three more times. Or dish network for the very reason that they give us money...

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I should add that DirectTV at the moment is giving us 3 months free of the Showtime ( AKA SHANNON TWEED MOVIES< LOL)channels because we have been such "loyal customers." Also this weekend has been a free HBO channels weekend so we have had plenty of movies to choose from if we wanted to. We don't normally subscribe to any Premium channels , but it is nice to get them once in awhile for free.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I should add that DirectTV at the moment is giving us 3 months free of the Showtime channels because we have been such "loyal customers." Also this weekend has been a free HBO channels weekend so we have had plenty of movies to choose from if we wanted to. We don't normally subscribe to any Premium channels , but it is nice to get them once in awhile for free.
They are giving us a year of Showtime, for free, as loyal customers. What a bunch of crap on these channels.:biting:

ol'browneye

I used to have Heartland Wireless Cable. This was the best thing going. It broadcast over microwaves from a city about 40 miles away and I had a small mesh type square dish on my house to pick it up. The best part about it was that we could watch 10 different things on 10 different channels in 10 different rooms in the house without any type of receiver or box attached to the tv. It is still big in the south I believe, but I guess our market wasn't big enough so they cut it about 6-7 years ago and I had to switch to Directv. I have had no problems what so ever and actually still have both original receivers and one original remote.

We recently took advantage of the Black Thursday sales at Thanksgiving and bought a 47" LCD tv. Wow, what a picture, especially when we watch a blue ray disc. (We have "Planet Earth" and "Band of Brothers" on blue ray-it feels like you are there!) The problem is, we can't take full advantage of our new HD tv with our old satelite tv. I have looked into upgrading to HD Directv and adding two receivers but they won't give their loyal and long time customers any freebies! So I have considered switching to Dish just to get 4 receivers installed, (one of them HD) and a dvr for nothing as a new customer. Directv gives the same thing to their new customers but won't give me jack! Anybody else had to deal with this with their current satelite company?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Had dish network for a long time. Don't buy all the movie channels because it is always the same movies. Just do the PPV deal when you want to watch a movie. It is cheaper and you can decide on the movies you want to watch.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I used to have Heartland Wireless Cable. This was the best thing going. It broadcast over microwaves from a city about 40 miles away and I had a small mesh type square dish on my house to pick it up. The best part about it was that we could watch 10 different things on 10 different channels in 10 different rooms in the house without any type of receiver or box attached to the tv. It is still big in the south I believe, but I guess our market wasn't big enough so they cut it about 6-7 years ago and I had to switch to Directv. I have had no problems what so ever and actually still have both original receivers and one original remote.

We recently took advantage of the Black Thursday sales at Thanksgiving and bought a 47" LCD tv. Wow, what a picture, especially when we watch a blue ray disc. (We have "Planet Earth" and "Band of Brothers" on blue ray-it feels like you are there!) The problem is, we can't take full advantage of our new HD tv with our old satelite tv. I have looked into upgrading to HD Directv and adding two receivers but they won't give their loyal and long time customers any freebies! So I have considered switching to Dish just to get 4 receivers installed, (one of them HD) and a dvr for nothing as a new customer. Directv gives the same thing to their new customers but won't give me jack! Anybody else had to deal with this with their current satelite company?
ol'b, tell them exactly how you feel, and what you're contemplating. I'm sure that they will come up with something to keep their loyal customer from switching.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
DISH > more towards people who watch movies

Direct TV more geared towards sports.

Cost seems to be about the same.

Believe you are Verizon, so no bundle with ATT for Direct like there is in GA.

Internet Connections - not aware they offer that.

I was a Dish customer but switched to Direct when Verizon offered the triple bundle deal. The installer gave me a local number in case we ever had a problem and the 1 time we needed service he had tech at my house in less than an hour in the evening.

tourists24

Well I made the change,,,, I chose Direct TV and am working my internet through Verizon...

Goodbye Charter Communications,,, the difference so far is good....

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of Dish Network, whats the deal now with their RS/Call tags? Now they list SCS (Supply Chain Solutions) instead of Dish Network/EchoStar. No description of what is to be picked up, just a "ten pound box". When I leave an Infonotice with "SCS" as the shipper, nobody knows what I am trying to pick up. Who thinks of this stuff?

Overpaid Union Thug

Based on how many call tags we get every day for Dish Network I will soon be choosing Direct TV. I can't get a clear answer on their rates though. All I've been able to get so far is their initial rates but not what the prices will be later. I heard I can bundle Direct TV, cell phone through AT&T, and internet but I don't want DSL.