Disparaging comments.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Question directed towards anyone; replies are greatly appreciated.

What is the acceptable limit for disparaging, insulting comments by a manager or supervisor towards an hourly employee? If one calls UPS on integrity issues, where is the line drawn when someone feels they were unnecessarily insulted by a management employee.

Any links, comments or examples would be helpful. Thank you.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would have to say that if the language was vulgar, or the statement could offend others, then they have crossed the line. They can call me anything, that would show their own standard, not mine.

dillweed

We all have different levels of tolerance. What may offend you might not offend others but that's your right.

UPSers can get pretty high strung and management sometimes pushes our buttons.

If someone is offending you just tell them so and ask them to stop. If they continue to harass, seek out your Union Rep.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dillweed hit it on the head. We each have differing opinions on what would cross the line. I also agree w/feeder that you should tell the person in question that you do not care for their comments and, if they persist, then I would definitely pursue this to the next level. However, keep in mind that this course of action may make your life at UPS rather unpleasant.

dillweed

If the person in question were another hourly I'd approach it differently. Management, however, is in a position that should rise above harassment or ridicule.

Turd sups are well known by all, including their peers. So what if he tries to ride you a bit, he'll hang himself soon enough.

tieguy

Banned
Remember the drill sargent in basic. Kicking your but , cursing and swearing to get your best out of you.

Now we send them to sensitivity training to learn how to coddle the recruits.

watch the ncaa coaches during march madness. You won't see too many speaking softly.

Lobofan5

Remember the drill sargent in basic. Kicking your but , cursing and swearing to get your best out of you.

watch the ncaa coaches during march madness. You won't see too many speaking softly.

I'm sooo sad that I don't work for you...tie. If I worked for YOU then I would work hard and do my best every day.

Oh, wait..I already do..its called internal motivation, work ethic and being a grown up capable of completing a job without "help" from "management".

BrownSuit

What is the acceptable limit for disparaging, insulting comments by a manager or supervisor towards an hourly employee?

There is truly no acceptable limit. Any comments that you or any other can reasonably interpret as disparaging, insulting, or demeaning should not and cannot be tolerated.

UPS has a strong anti-harassment policy and while at times it seems like that is overlooked . . . It is there.

If one calls UPS on integrity issues, where is the line drawn when someone feels they were unnecessarily insulted by a management employee.

We are a company of integrity. If you are calling into question the integrity of your superiors, I recommend possibly the Employee Help Line if you feel that you cannot do it alone.

My advise to you is to be as sincere and have the right attitude when approaching the situation. If your interests truly are for Integrity, it will be very evident and hopefully a rebuke in and of itself to your superiors.

Good Luck!

tieguy

Banned
I'm sooo sad that I don't work for you...tie. If I worked for YOU then I would work hard and do my best every day.

Oh, wait..I already do..its called internal motivation, work ethic and being a grown up capable of completing a job without "help" from "management".

Thats fine . Long as I don't have to wipe your nose and cuddle you against my chest.:happy-very:

I'm no hard _ S S by any means but todays kids are too soft and will cry the first time you give them a stern look.

Griff

We are a company of integrity.

Keep repeating it, but it won't just magically come true. I've been instructed by my "superiors" many times to defraud a customer. In management's eyes it wasn't bad, it's a numbers game and nothing more. Nobody cares about the person on the other end, you know the person who actually pays for the service. Recently I was ordered to put in NDA stops as weather delay because I didn't get on area until after 1030. I worked as directed, but let my feelings on the issue be known. I filed a grievance over it because I shouldn't have to lie and cheat a customer because my "superior" has numbers to make. You guys wouldn't know integrity if it ran you over in broad daylight.

tieguy

Banned
Hey griff why would you give brownsuit negative reps for his post?

Again you prove my point about the vindictive union goon attacking management at every opportunity.

Griff

Hey griff why would you give brownsuit negative reps for his post?

Again you prove my point about the vindictive union goon attacking management at every opportunity.

Don't worry about what I do, stalker boy. You have a lot of gall calling someone out on giving negative rep. Everyone here knows that's how you get your kicks at night. Sitting nude at your computer handing out negative rep to union employees, your way of getting back at the man.

tieguy

Banned
Don't worry about what I do, stalker boy. You have a lot of gall calling someone out on giving negative rep. Everyone here knows that's how you get your kicks at night. Sitting nude at your computer handing out negative rep to union employees, your way of getting back at the man.

Its ok griff. I just enjoy calling you cowards out into the daylight.:happy-very:

Class notice how griff easily gets confused when challenged. He now thinks I am one of his goon buddies fighting the man.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately my center manager lied quite blatantly about contractual issues (which was clarified by union representation) and also was rather insulting during a "meeting".

I hope he reads this forum at some point, in actuallity, because ultimately although he fired away calling so-and-so "a nothing" "a complete jerk" and "who the hell are you...." , I can gaurantee he does not last very long in today's climate with that attitude.

I personally don't find any of those type of comments far over the line; conversely, they are not supportive of anything but a hostile, biting workplace where employees can be lied to, demeaned and quit simply misled.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always thought it was fun watching THEM blow up- after all they seemed to enjoy watching a few hourlies go ballistic every morning:biting: I maybe wrong but the old "quit picking on me" defense looks childish.

Braveheart

After that I would call the 1800 number to make sure the head office was aware about your complaint. A hostile work environment is not to be tolerated. File harassment grievances too.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've learned over the years that only those with less intelligence or uncontrollable tempers need to yell, cuss, and degrade others to get their point across. When I was in the military the only drill instructors that came close to being intimidating were the ones that could get their point across to a recruit in a calm, yet stern, fashion. They were the ones that had a quiet, laid back calm and collective aurora about them and would just tell a recruit how it is. You could almost feel their presence without seeming them enter the room. If you screwed up they would tell so and tell you how to fix it. No sugar coating but no rediculous yelling and spitting like the others thought they had to do. Most of that crap was just acting anyway. I mean come on.....is someone really going to get that mad at an 18 year old, zit faced kid for getting out of step during a march? I don't think so. This applies to civilian life as well.

The best supervisors are the ones that can give criticism in the same manor in which they gave praise. People should use their brains to their points across. Not their wind pipes. I don't believe in coddling but the other extreme is just the opposite side of the same coin.

tieguy

Banned
After that I would call the 1800 number to make sure the head office was aware about your complaint. A hostile work environment is not to be tolerated. File harassment grievances too.

Attack the company , attack the man. No rest, no sleep , no family for I must spend every minute plotting on new ways to attack the company.:happy-very:

The problem with the 1-800 number is you lose credibility if you call it too much.