Displacement Express

I am FedEx

Question, one of my favorite co-workers was terminated / quit. Her situation was the following, in January she was injured, twisted her ankle / torn meniscus. She was going to be displaced on April 3rd. She was not cleared to come back to work as she stated workman’s comp was taking for ever and she just got an MRI roughly March 17th. My question is, since she quit I assume she will be required to come in and turn in her ID badge and gas card. Will the manager have to submit a termination file, and a termination letter? To make it official. I wasn’t sure how that process works since she technically quit. If management had build a termination file.

Swngdrvr

Two months for an MRI??

Pretty normal unfortunately. They usually want everyone to start physical therapy for at least a month before any other steps are taken. When I got hurt therapy wasn't going well, so I asked about an mri and gave workers comp a heads up to get it started. Mine was 6 weeks after injury and they told me that was one of the earliest they had seen. The workers comp approval process takes forever.

CatMan

Question, one of my favorite co-workers was terminated / quit. Her situation was the following, in January she was injured, twisted her ankle / torn meniscus. She was going to be displaced on April 3rd. She was not cleared to come back to work as she stated workman’s comp was taking for ever and she just got an MRI roughly March 17th. My question is, since she quit I assume she will be required to come in and turn in her ID badge and gas card. Will the manager have to submit a termination file, and a termination letter? To make it official. I wasn’t sure how that process works since she technically quit. If management had build a termination file.
You can survive to work another day after injury if you play your cards right. A while back a guy at my station missed almost 2 years, when he needed 2 surgeries. He came back.But he is a premier station swing with a stellar record. Which helped his cause and guys like that are hard to replace. He's still here

Last edited:

Bingo

Why would she quit ? She would have still received short term disability till doctor cleared her. At that point if they put her route up for bid. She would just get the next available route or if there is a neighboring station she can get one there. In less the rules have changed she would move to the # 1 spot on any openings in her classification

bacha29

Guys, you see the problem here? There is simply no consistency in the interpretation and everyday application of the employment policies of that OPCO. If there is no INDEPENDENT arbiter to oversee the interpretation and fair application of those policies, somebody who isn't on Fat Freddy's payroll then this inconsistency will continue and therefore things are not likely to get any better for you.

Maui

Yes and no. It depends on the station management. They CAN force you off your route after 45 days or they can hold your route for 90.
The Senior should keep that consistent regarding shifts/routes. The policy still requires 90 days for the position. So even if the route is bid, then the person keeps the position.

Personally, I think there is little to no value in bidding a route at 45 days if there is a reasonable chance the employee will return at 90 days. The only time I think it makes sense is if the timeline to turn is over 5 months.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The Senior should keep that consistent regarding shifts/routes. The policy still requires 90 days for the position. So even if the route is bid, then the person keeps the position.

Personally, I think there is little to no value in bidding a route at 45 days if there is a reasonable chance the employee will return at 90 days. The only time I think it makes sense is if the timeline to turn is over 5 months.
Yeah, I’ve noticed that people who have a definite return to work date fare better than ones whose return is unknown.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Guys, you see the problem here? There is simply no consistency in the interpretation and everyday application of the employment policies of that OPCO. If there is no INDEPENDENT arbiter to oversee the interpretation and fair application of those policies, somebody who isn't on Fat Freddy's payroll then this inconsistency will continue and therefore things are not likely to get any better for you.
And your point is what?? That we need independent arbiters? People who actually work at Express know that will never happen. Once again, you’re talking just to hear yourself talk.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And your point is what?? That we need independent arbiters? People who actually work at Express know that will never happen. Once again, you’re talking just to hear yourself talk.

Just an FYI, most union companies give you 180 days to recover, not 90. I can't speak to individual company policies about route loss etc.

And, you are correct. The Displacement Express process is highly unlikely to change because it's an effective means of getting rid of sick/injured employees.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

I would venture that 90% of couriers can’t make the distinction between a route and a position at FedEx. Including MFE.

An open route is a daily headache to cover. To extend that any longer than what is reasonable and necessary is just dumb. There are plenty of other fires to be put out.

bacha29

Just an FYI, most union companies give you 180 days to recover, not 90. I can't speak to individual company policies about route loss etc.

And, you are correct. The Displacement Express process is highly unlikely to change because it's an effective means of getting rid of sick/injured employees.
As long as it remains a nonunion company employees especially blue collar level will have no conveniently accessible legal recourse or legal channels through which they can litigate their employment related issues. if any good comes out of this going forward it will be that some employees will no longer continue to overestimate their value to that company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would venture that 90% of couriers can’t make the distinction between a route and a position at FedEx. Including MFE.

An open route is a daily headache to cover. To extend that any longer than what is reasonable and necessary is just dumb. There are plenty of other fires to be put out.

Sure thing. I was a swing for about a year, so I'm fully aware, sir.

CatMan

Yes and no. It depends on the station management. They CAN force you off your route after 45 days or they can hold your route for 90.
I've seen a person come back to their route after 5-6 months cause "they wouldn't have a similar route to assign him" or " the clinic botched his diagnosis and delayed the required surgery"..Anyway you look at it , there is always loopholes that come into play.

MAKAVELI

I've seen a person come back to their route after 5-6 months cause "they wouldn't have a similar route to assign him" or " the clinic botched his diagnosis and delayed the required surgery"..Anyway you look at it , there is always loopholes that come into play.
There are always going to be loopholes. No law or policy is ironclad. But having said that, if management doesn't follow policy and the law precisely, an employee will be able to challenge their decision. I've seen many times where a manager tried to get rid of an employee they didn't like on injury, only to see that employee walking in the station months later with a :censored2: eating grin on their face.

ManInBrown

180 days? No. There is no timetable. When I was a package driver I worked with a driver that I never even met. 5 years was never there one day. Out on comp and had some complications with surgery. When I left for feeders his route still belonged to him. Was never put up for bid.

Maui

A fair amount of managers also TBH. However, if there are no other open routes, then you are stuck when the employee returns by 90 days.

If you post at 46 days it might be 5 weeks before that person starts. 1 week to post and 30 days if coming from another workgroup. If the original courier is coming back in 90 you only get a week of having that route covered. Not worth it IMO.

fatboy33

You can survive to work another day after injury if you play your cards right. A while back a guy at my station missed almost 2 years, when he needed 2 surgeries. He came back.But he is a premier station swing with a stellar record. Which helped his cause and guys like that are hard to replace. He's still here
Very true. They can overlook the 90 day limit of they so desire. It use to be a courier could get around the 90 days by taking a vacation day on the 89th day. It would reset the count back to 90. Whether it was a company policy or station policy, that person(our station) is no long allow to use that loop hole any longer. But it sucks to lose your job for getting injured. Brown doesn't worry.