Disqualified as a driver... Now a seasonal driver

FarmerJoe

All new drivers from the last three weeks were disqualified yesterday and told we would be reclassified as seasonal drivers.

After peak they would allow us to start trying again for full time driver. They said with our current numbers, none of us were on a path to qualify. I was on day 18b of driving. My best day was .5 hours over... Most days were 1.5 - 2 hours over.

Union steward said that it was not a big deal and just a paperwork issue.

What will change with being a seasonal driver? What hours should I expect?

Are they just stringing us along through peak to get off us later?

UrFellowUpser

I would just do it you'll be better off for it and gain even more experience and thicker skin. When it comes around for you to try to qualify again you should be able to kill it since you sucked the first time around. But after doing the seasonal driving thing you probably be a preloader for sometime. I was a seasonal peak driver before going FT so i already knew what to expect in order to qualify.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I hate reading these stories. Wish UPS would stop jerking people around DQing them for shady stuff. Good luck brother I hope your second attempt goes well. Just grind out this peak.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I hate reading these stories. Wish UPS would stop jerking people around DQing them for shady stuff. Good luck brother I hope your second attempt goes well. Just grind out this peak.
Shady stuff? He was sucking ass and instead of DQing him completely they’re giving him two months to get it down and letting him do it all over again.

If they really wanted to nail him they could have DQed him completely for a year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Shady stuff? He was sucking ass and instead of DQing him completely they’re giving him two months to get it down and letting him do it all over again.

If they really wanted to nail him they could have DQed him completely for a year.
Let’s be real, the plan days have nothing to do with reality anymore. And as for really wanting to nail them, they can’t get enough drivers as it is to apply, never mind qualify.

If he’s good enough to drive during peak and not hit something, then he should be good enough to drive during the rest of the year.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Any days punch before Nov. 1 counted. If you guys where told you DQ after Nov 1. I would grieve it to have my qualify days continue after peak.

brownIEman

Let’s be real, the plan days have nothing to do with reality anymore. And as for really wanting to nail them, they can’t get enough drivers as it is to apply, never mind qualify.

If he’s good enough to drive during peak and not hit something, then he should be good enough to drive during the rest of the year.

For many routes, the plan is no where near reality. For some, it's pretty close.

If they are a danger to themselvest or others on the road management should have just cut them loose. If they can drive safely but can't seem to get load management down to the point that every time they go through the bulkhead it's like they are seeing the load for the first time, that's different. A center can afford that in a peak driver (because often they don't have a choice) but not a permanent driver. Maybe a peak season will allow time for these guys to get it to sink in.

Yes, based on the information available it could be they are being screwed with by center management, but it does not sound like it. There is no upside for an on road or center manager to DQ a promising trainee just before peak gets serious

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

Agree. After all these years the word is out on how UPS totally mistreats their seasonal help.

It warms my heart that they're having a hard time finding help.

brownIEman

Except to turn them into 22.4’s right after, aka lower paid drivers.

Maybe.

I can tell you as an on road a slightly less expensive driver and a dollar would have gotten me a Coke from the vending machine. If the driver came with pita rules about how he can be utilized I'd just as soon just taken the dollar.

I can tell you what I never wanted, and that's eating a trainee making book who can't or won't cut it. Prior generations of sups gave me enough of those.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe.

I can tell you as an on road a slightly less expensive driver and a dollar would have gotten me a Coke from the vending machine. If the driver came with pita rules about how he can be utilized I'd just as soon just taken the dollar.

I can tell you what I never wanted, and that's eating a trainee making book who can't or won't cut it. Prior generations of sups gave me enough of those.
I get it if sups it center managers don’t want to qualify someone, but telling them it’s ok to drive during peak, only after telling them they can’t drive efficiently enough before isn’t right.

Using the excuse they can afford to take the hit in productivity doesn’t make sense. On top of that, they’ll give these guys helpers to manage. The job has been dumbed down so much, it’s easier than ever to qualify as long as you have two brain cells to rub together. If they don’t, don’t let them on the road.

iruhnman630

This could be a good thing, allowing you to get experience before qualifying.

The downside is, as a seasonal you are not guaranteed an opportunity to qualify for a permanent job.