District Xmas Stress

browned out

I have been at Ups for 19 years working in 3 different centers and 1 hub.

Anyhow

Been driving for 10 years and have never seen anything like this. Today we had the AM Preload/pas adjustment sup moved. Old sup with area knowledge moved back. Drivers were positive to the change. The other sup had no area knowledge.

The district manager has been in the last few days. I guess thats what he is. I was told that he was the center manager bosses boss. so whatever 2 up from center manager is.

The District Manager or whatever he is has been coming after drivers. He told one driver that when he has a helper; he is doing fine but when he doesn't ; UPS is losing 9 cents per stop. Another driver was running 2 to 3 hours over on a blind all business route.(80% business) This guy quit and was persuaded to come back. Thank god it was'nt peak or they would not have let this poor kid back. I told him Don't quit If you are working hard and not being dishonest you'll be ok.

Is UPS on track to miss the quarter?

Is our DM trying to make a name for himself?

Why come after drivers this time of year; especially rookies>??????????

over9five

Staff member
"Why come after drivers this time of year; especially rookies>??????????"

Because the DM's an idiot?

Because the center manager doesn't have the [-]ba[/-] guts to stand up for his drivers?

I'm not sure....

Your center is probably a frequent flier at the top of those "Least best" reports that district managers look at every day. The district manager is getting heat from his boss up in region, so he is taking matters into his own hands to find out what's going on.

rod

Retired 22 years
Your center is probably a frequent flier at the top of those "Least best" reports that district managers look at every day. The district manager is getting heat from his boss up in region, so he is taking matters into his own hands to find out what's going on.
as if he would have a clue:happy2:

tieguy

Banned

probably right except district managers don't get heat they generate it. your delivery center must be last on every list they track if you have the district manager camping on your doorstep.

Fnix

probably right except district managers don't get heat they generate it. your delivery center must be last on every list they track if you have the district manager camping on your doorstep.

Does UPS management understand that as long as you have more then 1, there will always be someone last.

Overpaid Union Thug

Screw their numbers. Those are for the sups to worry about. Just clock in, upload EDD, run air, start ground, take lunch, finish route, then clock out. I've found that if I just keep it simple and work safely then everything will fall into place. If some report says I suck then oh well. I guess if doing the job properly means I suck then I have no problem being "least best." LOL!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told today, that I cant take my lunch in building, well actually I can take it, but I have to show it before my return to building time. To me that is falsifying my time:whiteflag:I have for yrs as there is no where I want to sit for any length of time, so I always take it after I get in. I asked when this happened he said last summer, hes just been fixing my card every day..........for like 6 months...........Usually I do it to get my air in the building in time.....mostly I do it coz its safe in bldg. And I dont want to deliver in bad areas in dark more than absolutely neccesary......So I guess air meets will happen more frequently, and Ill have to find a private safe place off route to shiver and be safe. Any suggestions?

satellitedriver

I was told today, that I cant take my lunch in building, well actually I can take it, but I have to show it before my return to building time. To me that is falsifying my time:whiteflag:I have for yrs as there is no where I want to sit for any length of time, so I always take it after I get in. I asked when this happened he said last summer, hes just been fixing my card every day..........for like 6 months...........Usually I do it to get my air in the building in time.....mostly I do it coz its safe in bldg. And I dont want to deliver in bad areas in dark more than absolutely neccesary......So I guess air meets will happen more frequently, and Ill have to find a private safe place off route to shiver and be safe. Any suggestions?
Your safety comes first.
Show your lunch between 12 and 1pm. Spend your lunch time as you wish. They are only looking at numbers that will show up on reports.
It is not a falsifaction of the time taken for lunch, just an accounting error of when it occurred.( I just read that last sentence and realized I should have been a lawyer.)
Any sane manager/sup would know why you are in the building hanging around.
I take my lunch between 6pm and 7pm every night( and show it that way in my board).
My usual punchout is 8:30pm.
I have never been questioned about when my lunch is taken. Only reprimaned when I did not show an hour taken out of my day.
PAX
P.S.
Who needs an hour to eat lunch?
20 to 30 minutes, tops.

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh ya - like that would stand up at the termination hearing. "Honest it was just an accounting error"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We get 1/2 hr here, I wish we could just skip it and get paid for it.
Im going to ask my new mgr this am, it seems funny it should change now. Yeah, Im not too sure about that termination hearing, I try to do everything by the book.
Who was it that said, you can fudge numbers, just not these numbers. You have to know whats Ok to fudge and what isnt, I guess. Gonna be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg peak.

trickpony1

Tooner-
One really good way to become unemployed is to show your meal at 12 to 12:30 and then be seen "stealing time" (taking your meal) at another time.

It's called falsification and you know better than to do that. Take your meal in a safe place and at the prescribed time and don't worry about their numbers or missed pkgs. That's their problem.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I have been at Ups for 19 years working in 3 different centers and 1 hub.

Anyhow

Been driving for 10 years and have never seen anything like this. Today we had the AM Preload/pas adjustment sup moved. Old sup with area knowledge moved back. Drivers were positive to the change. The other sup had no area knowledge.

The district manager has been in the last few days. I guess thats what he is. I was told that he was the center manager bosses boss. so whatever 2 up from center manager is.

The District Manager or whatever he is has been coming after drivers. He told one driver that when he has a helper; he is doing fine but when he doesn't ; UPS is losing 9 cents per stop. Another driver was running 2 to 3 hours over on a blind all business route.(80% business) This guy quit and was persuaded to come back. Thank god it was'nt peak or they would not have let this poor kid back. I told him Don't quit If you are working hard and not being dishonest you'll be ok.

Is UPS on track to miss the quarter?

Is our DM trying to make a name for himself?

Why come after drivers this time of year; especially rookies>??????????

Have you ever thought of getting the union involved? That's why they exist!

over9five

Staff member
Trick's right. Falsifying a DIAD entry is a firable offense.

Is there another driver you could meet for lunch, Tooner?

Or maybe a McDonalds or something on your way back to the building where they could also get your air?

Park right outside of the air door, call them and tell them you're on lunch and they better take your air! (You're working as directed)

mikeb

tnbrown
Trick's right. Falsifying a DIAD entry is a firable offense.

Is there another driver you could meet for lunch, Tooner?

Or maybe a McDonalds or something on your way back to the building where they could also get your air?

Park right outside of the air door, call them and tell them you're on lunch and they better take your air! (You're working as directed)
Falsifying a DIAD entry is NOT a firable offense. According to Article 37, Section 1(d). "No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time based on data received from the DIAD/IVIS or other information technology."

over9five

Staff member
"Falsifying a DIAD entry is NOT a firable offense. According to Article 37, Section 1(d). "No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time based on data received from the DIAD/IVIS or other information technology.""

You are wrong. The firable offense will occur when you are OBSERVED taking your lunch (stealing time), when you have already taken your lunch (according to your DIAD) hours earlier.

In other words, they wouldn't be firing you based on the DIAD entry. They would fire you for stealing time based on what they observed.

Are you suggesting it's ok to falsify DIAD entries? People like you we don't need.

UPS Lifer

Tooner,
I think you should take your lunch (in the building) and then punch in your RTB time.
If your supv. gives you a hassle than tell him/her to get on the car and show you a safe place to take your lunch. Put the burden back on the supervisor! If you feel the area isn't safe take it to your safety committee.

I don't recommend putting false times in your board. If someone was following you, it could be used against you. I don't think you would lose your job as long as you show there was no monetary gain from what you did but you could go through a lot of hassle. Any hint of monetary gain and you could lose.

Keep the discussion about safety...I think this is your strongest argument!
Good luck. Nobody should have to go through a "long peak"!