Divorce, UPS style

G

got mine already

Just wondering how many fellow upsers have gotten a divorce while at UPS as it seems to be epidemic. I'm hoping the opt in/opt out has a positive effect.
If you feel working for UPS has been a contributing factor sound off.

Fnix

If you're not married UPS keeps you from getting married as it's impossible to find a women either PT or FT.:sad-very:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS and the hours are good for my marriage. The more hours I work the better she likes me. If you can't stay married because you work until 6:30 or 7 you have other problems.

Cementups

Box Monkey
UPS and the hours are good for my marriage. The more hours I work the better she likes me. If you can't stay married because you work until 6:30 or 7 you have other problems.

That because of two things:
1) the more you work, the more money she makes.
2) the more you work, the more time she has with her sex machine, Raul the pool boy.

Overpaid Union Thug

Marriage means very little to people today. Based on the amount of divorces I see it would seem that too many people out there look at marriage as something that they can just jump into and if they don't like it then they can jump right back out. Kind of like trying on a pair of pants. And 90% of the time it's the guy that get's hosed. Too many good hard working guys get the shaft from their wives and the courts after a divorce. Because of this many men are scared to get married. I was the same way for a while. The idea of marrying a girl and treating her well only for her to divorce me because she figured out that she wasn't ready to let go of the single life, let alone stay faithfill, and take me to the cleaners in the process was scary. I have friends that are in that exact scenario. One seemed to have a good marriage but his wife asked for a divorce because she wanted to party and mess around with every guy she met. The courts gave her custody of the kid even though she parties all of the time and she gets child support and kept the house. It just seems that the wife comes out ahead no matter what. It isn't always like that but usually is.

Channahon

Working at UPS made my marriage stronger, as we had to make a decision on whose career we would follow. For us, the opportunties at UPS for me was what we chose.

Understanding we would be relocating during my career, made us appreciate each other even more, as we only had one another.
We also made great friendships with other UPSer's and still keep in touch, and the friends we made are all still married.

Getting back to the thread, divorce happens everywhere, and I've seen my share at UPS, but don't think it's more prevelant at UPS.

It is what it is, and what you make of your marriage.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I have to agree with brownmonster on this one. I don't think its the job, its how we deal with our spouses when we get home. We do work long hours, get stressed out, and are physically worn out. But this is true about people in other occupations as well. I think that people just tend to give up too easy and go the divorce route after a while. The keys to a good marriage are to do things together, trust each other, communicate well, and compromise when conflicts come up.

I dated my wife for three years before we were married 25 years ago this coming June. My UPS salary has given us a custom built house, let her stay home and raise our two sons when they were small, she gets a new car every 4-5 years, and we get to travel some. Too many people tend to look on the negative sides of life instead of the positive things.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Whenever I ask my husband a question, he usually says, "Is this one of those trick questions?"

You know the kind of ?? I mean......like ,Do these pants make me look fat? etc.

We celebrated 40 years last Sept. I think the key is that we were good friends first. We talk all the time......especially on driving trips.

When the kids are grown and gone, you better have something in common when you are by yourselves again.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Being married with infant children is tough. I've missed so much of my kids accomplishments the other parents at the school think my brother is my wife's husband.

Bottom line....Money isn't everything, I'd trade it to spend more time with my family. Other than financially I don't feel like I'm there when I need to be....

browniehound

Moreluck and Chan,
You are rare breeds and must be from the old school. Your husbands are two lucky men to be able to find women with your character in regards to marriage.

I just don't see it these days. Everyone I know who has been married is either divorced or miserable in their marriage. I'm still young(34) so age might have something to do with it.

Both my parents made it the second time around and are happily married. Believe it or not, my father and his wife visit my sister and I at my mother's house for every major holiday!

Big Babooba

Whenever I ask my husband a question, he usually says, "Is this one of those trick questions?"

You know the kind of ?? I mean......like ,Do these pants make me look fat? etc.

We celebrated 40 years last Sept. I think the key is that we were good friends first. We talk all the time......especially on driving trips.

When the kids are grown and gone, you better have something in common when you are by yourselves again.
May you have at least 40 more.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Ive said it before, im sure it will come up again. I love my wife of 13 years. When i go to UPS, i have to sacrifice a few hours to pay the bills. My wife doesnt work and i only work my part time gig. We may not be driving BMWs and going on trips to London, but we have each other for 18+ hours a day, everyday, and no amount of money will bring her back when shes gone. Thats more important to me than any car or crappy vacation.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Bottom line....Money isn't everything, I'd trade it to spend more time with my family. Other than financially I don't feel like I'm there when I need to be....

That's why I don't work any of these option days like New Year's Eve or Thanksgiving. Yeah the money is good but my family is better.

I'm 32 and I've been with my wife for alomst 14 years. We've been married for 5 of those. I'm pretty sure that she is nowhere near finishing her sentence. I asked he the one day in the car if she's gotten sick of me yet and she was very quick to respond, "NO. We've only just begun." I think I may have to keep her.:wub:

local804

Place the blame where ever you want but its NOT easy being a daddy and a hubby when you leave the house at 730 and get home some times around 9. The women have needs and maybe someone who is never home isnt always the answer. If you aint there to give it to her,someone else will.