Do Drivers Use GPS?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I help mentor new drivers and the biggest problem they have is trying to find addresses with their GPS instead of using a map. They simply do not learn the area quickly, with a map you learn how to visualize how the streets relate to each other. Plus you lose time typing in addresses. A GPS might come in handy every great once in a while to find a hard to find address or run a missort, that's about it.

A lot of times there are patterns to neighborhoods and developments that a lot of younger drivers don't pick up on. My easiest section we call "The Letter Streets." It's just like it sounds. It starts at A street and goes all the way to K street, all running in parallels. But then you have others that some drivers don't realize they are named after things. On my old route the one neighborhood was all named after Civil War battlefields. Another was named after trees. It doesn't always work but mostly it does. Sometimes you have to know the history of a neighborhood to know the street names. Where my mom lives, all the streets are named after family members of people who owned the original farm where the development is now.