Do I have a grievance case?

brownIEman

If they already have their blue vests and this was the first day of the shift I'm sure they have been working a different shift.

I will admit we have never had a extra shift added to our building but without the full story I would still file because this doesn't sound right.

I can agree, might as well file, just don't be surprised if the stward tells then it's got no merrit.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You don't have the right to work overtime instead of them if that is their regularly scheduled shift
There are lots of extra shifts in the hubs, now.

Two years ago, UPS supervisors ran a "special shift" in one of our hubs - the problem was, no hourlies were invited. Too bad a few people came in early for the "real" shift that day and noticed what was happening.

Agree with @brownIEman . I can't really imagine a situation in which permanent PT employees can take shifts from seasonal employees for extra work.

The only time they allow it here is when the seasonals can't be trusted to tie their own shoes. Then they act like the work has been available this whole time, though I know they get first grabs at it before we get extra work.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Management selectively removes work sign-up sheets in my building. They fill their roster and if any undesirables sign it, they'll pull the list and put up a new one, but go off the old list.

A ton of new drivers just skipped seniority order over the same dirty tactics. A lot of people are very, very upset and the union isn't doing :censored2:all.

Bigfoot11

Management selectively removes work sign-up sheets in my building. They fill their roster and if any undesirables sign it, they'll pull the list and put up a new one, but go off the old list.

A ton of new drivers just skipped seniority order over the same dirty tactics. A lot of people are very, very upset and the union isn't doing :censored2:all.

Welcome to the TEAMSTERS. Dont forget to vote next time around.

brownIEman

Extra work sign ups are for shift worker shortages, not shift worker replacements.

Definitely

What he said.
You can't just sign an extra work bid sheet and then just show up assuming that work is yours. After you sign the sheet, if you're told to report and then told they don't need you when you get there then you have a strong case for your gaurantee.
You cannot just sign an extra work sheet and then show up to work as these guys apparently did expecting to be put to work over the folks hired to run the shift.

Mooseknuckle

What he said.
You can't just sign an extra work bid sheet and then just show up assuming that work is yours. After you sign the sheet, if you're told to report and then told they don't need you when you get there then you have a strong case for your gaurantee.
You cannot just sign an extra work sheet and then show up to work as these guys apparently did expecting to be put to work over the folks hired to run the shift.
I was under the impression they won the bid.

SameRightsForAll

So after awhile we get tired and we just storm inside to see whats going on. What we see-- about 2 dozen new hires, all in blue vest, unloading and loading. Again we go what the the :censored3: is this? We signed up for the day sort and you pass us over to give those hours to new hires and seasonals!? For real!? At UPS where seniority is supposed to get first bite of the pie!? Where the steward at? This looks like a text book case for a grievance right here, am I right?

Furen, ... I hate to be the one to break it to you, but WE HAVE NO UNION. They've all been bought and paid for or coerced into siding with the company.

It's peak season and you have seniority and want to work. You make more money so the company doesn't want you. We get it. We all get it, and we feel for you.

Sadly, seniority doesn't mean much in some areas. The company does what it wants and hardly ever honors the contract. Again, I hate to be the one to break this news to you. You fight back and they retaliate.

In order to get our union back on track we MUST vote out the corruptness. Several big locals just cleaned house and it's time to do the same in your local and then force these new slates to REPRESENT the members 100% and THEN SOME.

Please go talk to your stewards and after you get different opinions, prune out the obvious dead beats and write them off. Never talk to them again on union issues. Find the good reps and recommend them to fellow workers. Expose the bad ones for what they are.

brownIEman

I was under the impression they won the bid.

It was an extra work sign up. It's not really a bid sheet, like for a new position. If it was a job bid sheet, they would have been bidding to move from their current job into the new sort.

They worked their regular shift, and thought that signing the extra work list for the new sort gives them the right to bump the new hires who were hired with that sort as their primary job.

Mooseknuckle

It was an extra work sign up. It's not really a bid sheet, like for a new position. If it was a job bid sheet, they would have been bidding to move from their current job into the new sort.

They worked their regular shift, and thought that signing the extra work list for the new sort gives them the right to bump the new hires who were hired with that sort as their primary job.
That makes no sense. They put up a sheet to sign up for the work. Why would they do that if it was a new position they already hired people for?