Do I have to join the union in ny

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes dude I don't think you have a choice but you definitely want to join. My advice is as soon as you make book study your contract so you know your rights. I couldn't imagine not being a Teamster!

There is more to life than being a Teamster.

To the OP---New York is a closed shop state which means that you have to join the union within 30 days of employment or you will be let go.

I agree that every FTer and all career PTers should join the union.

I disagree that some kid working here while going to college should be forced to join the union.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
(Ive) always said screw the Union

giphy.gif

By The Book

There is more to life than being a Teamster.

To the OP---New York is a closed shop state which means that you have to join the union within 30 days of employment or you will be let go.

I agree that every FTer and all career PTers should join the union.

I disagree that some kid working here while going to college should be forced to join the union.
i would disagree with your last statement. Many part timers stay for many years and receive health insurance and paid vacations and paid sick days and seniority rights while going to college. If anything maybe no initiation fee for the seasonal guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i would disagree with your last statement. Many part timers stay for many years and receive health insurance and paid vacations and paid sick days and seniority rights while going to college. If anything maybe no initiation fee for the seasonal guys.

If I had worked here while going to college I would have preferred to use my union dues money to buy beer.

jbg77

Whether you have to or not is inconsequential. You receive excellent pay/great benefits that the union has fought for you to have. If you dont pay dues you shouldnt receive any of those benefits. Note: im not a super union blow hard...just dont agree with not having to pay.

SCV good to go sir.

I hate leeches. Not that you have a choice, but what the :censored2: makes you so special that you should earn the benefits of being a union employee without having to pay your dues like everyone else? OP's username should be "Daddy's Little Princess"