Do lates affect potential hire for driver?

Heinrich Braun

I am a part-time twilight package handler on irreg belt, their are only 4 of us including me on their. We are great workers and easily work the hardest in the building, I have now been there for over a year and signed the sheet for package car driver. So last month in March I had filled it out and I find out this month I'm not on the list..which is BS. So I talk to the twilight Manger and he says "oh Idk just fikk out another" he is full of :censored2: I know he didn't send it in on purpose because there is nobody that he can have replace me inside. So now I fill out another and the guy comes up to me this time 10 minutes after the HR gives it to him with a printed out attendance sheet saying "dude you've been late 31 times I don't know how this is gonna affect you". Now I've been there 1 year and a month never called out sick and only missed 5 days total due to vacation and a dentist appt. wtf is he talking about? Those 31 lates were all for the pre charge and not the actually building time, which I was told by all the supervisors as long as you are there before the building start time you are not late. What should I do and will those lates really affect me? Or is this guy full of :censored2:?

km3

I am a part-time twilight package handler on irreg belt, their are only 4 of us including me on their. We are great workers and easily work the hardest in the building

Slow down there, cowboy. I work the irreg belt in my building sometimes and these guys work less than anyone else in the building. It's a preferred position here.

Box Ox

At my center, some bum who punched in late 31 times in a year would probably be dropped during his FT 30 days even if he did make it that far.

What's a "pre charge", anyway? At my center PTers are punched in via the computer or they're not. If you're at the building for a 3am start at 2:59 but don't punch in until 3:01 you're still a late.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A start time is a start time, period. Pre-charge and building time, what's the difference? You should be on the clock if you are setting up your work area. I started out working irregulars, we got our area ready before the first ones came down the belt. You can't just wander into work when you feel like it. They are telling you that you aren't showing up on time. I would get there earlier to make more money either way.

Poop Head

Judge me.
know he didn't send it in on purpose because there is nobody that he can have replace me inside.
46242288.jpg

thaliloldsup

NE Division
You're late 31 times, regardless of how you justify it, I wouldn't expect to get a promotion. At my hub if you're late just 4 times in a calendar year you're fired. You've worked there over a year, you should know better.

PT Car Washer

You're late 31 times, regardless of how you justify it, I wouldn't expect to get a promotion. At my hub if you're late just 4 times in a calendar year you're fired. You've worked there over a year, you should know better.
At my building if you are late 4 times in a year you will receive an attendance award. My building can't afford to fire anyone.

km3

At my building if you are late 4 times in a year you will receive an attendance award. My building can't afford to fire anyone.

Same here. The only ones who are getting fired are the ones with excessive NCNSs and people who call in more than 3 times a week. There are guys that are late by as much as an hour twice or more a week who haven't gotten a warning letter in over a month.

They tried to crack down on attendance issues, they really did, but I think they gave up and just allow it because they wouldn't be able to replace some of these people if they were gone.

PT Car Washer

Same here. The only ones who are getting fired are the ones with excessive NCNSs and people who call in more than 3 times a week. There are guys that are late by as much as an hour twice or more a week who haven't gotten a warning letter in over a month.

They tried to crack down on attendance issues, they really did, but I think they gave up and just allow it because they wouldn't be able to replace some of these people if they were gone.
I have heard Hub managers and their FT flunkies say they wish UPS would increase the PT starting rate just so they could staff the sorts. I have also heard that is the reason the Union will not push for a higher PT starting rate. They figure UPS will push for it first. $15/hr would be a good place to start and $20/hr would be more realistic.

km3

I have heard Hub managers and their FT flunkies say they wish UPS would increase the PT starting rate just so they could staff the sorts. I have also heard that is the reason the Union will not push for a higher PT starting rate. They figure UPS will push for it first. $15/hr would be a good place to start and $20/hr would be more realistic.

That's what I've been saying in some of the contract threads, but apparently I'm "too greedy." I can't believe there are Teamsters that don't believe we deserve a starting rate of $15.00 for the crap we have to put up with.

The thing is, the contract says all wages and raises shall be minimums. The option exists for the starting rate to be raised if UPS ever wants to do that. It's on them, as far as I'm concerned. My location is relying on bonuses, which my local is grieving at the moment.

The thing is, I don't think they even need to hire new people to staff all the sorts. There are lots of people who would go full-time in a heartbeat. My building has been double shifting since February for god's sake; just create the damn combo jobs!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
$15/hr , give me a break.

It was $7.50 when I started . And the work was so much harder .
You had to believe that the weight the shipper put on the shipment as being correct , they never were . We unloaded & loaded irregs with everything else coming down the belts , it was quite dangerous when those 5 gallon buckets came down the chute onto the belt , along with truck springs and tires .
No one marked off Haz Mats .

Over 70

You had to believe that the weight the shipper put on the shipment as being correct , they never were . We unloaded & loaded irregs with everything else coming down the belts , it was quite dangerous when those 5 gallon buckets came down the chute onto the belt , along with truck springs and tires .

When did you start? We can gladly use the inflation calculator to see what $7.50/HR would be today. You're clearly out of touch.

PS: you think shipper weights are correct today? lol

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
When did you start? We can gladly use the inflation calculator to see what $7.50/HR would be today. You're clearly out of touch.

PS: you think shipper weights are correct today? lol
Some people will never understand. He will come back with "but the benefits and paid holidays" that these guys got after 30 days

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock

Did you walk miles to work in the snow uphill both ways too?