Do Part Timers really outnumber Full Timers?

542thruNthru

281 330 8004 HIT MIKE JONES UP ON THE LOW CAUSE MIKE JONES ABOUT TO BLOW!!!

73e.gif

Nimnim

The Nim
Part-timers vastly out number the full-timers.... in actual hubs.

If your building has a reload shift, it's not a hub.

Combine feeders and pkg.... it's still about a 3-1 ratio.

I chose a smaller idea of preload/reload to make the hypothetical numbers easier.

On my midnight shift we have 13 PDs, 4 unload and sort areas, small sort, secondary sort, recycles, PSC, and irregs. So I can guess 200+ people but I don't know how many are FT. I believe the twilight shift runs the same areas, and I don't know how many work the preload. Then there's 3 centers that all probably run somewhere around 100 routes. I haven't counted the package cars in the lineups.

Last time I looked at the seniority lists there were 5 pages for PT on my shift with the first page being 10+ years the second page pretty much until a couple years then the 3rd was less than a quarter with more than a year and the remaining less than a year.

I'm not doubting on paper there is a significantly higher number of PT than FT. My point was that during a time where a PT vote matters how many of the PT ranks have the ability to vote(in the union and in good standing{New hires that haven't fully paid their initiation fees are not in good standing in my understanding but I could be wrong?})

If there's a significant amount of the PT force who can't vote or will no longer be employed by their own choice that they don't vote because it will no longer effect them, that in my mind could potentially push the ratio much closer to a 1-1 than the 3-1 you say.

If part timers actually voted they would never be in this position. They never will vote in my opinion and this is unfortunately who everything is geared in actual negotiations. Its called the real world.

I'm not saying PTers don't vote, it's the same as FTers not voting, if we were dealing with 80%+ voter turnout overall and only 20% was PT then the shame is completely on PT for not voting, but the turnout sucks for both FT and PT. With this climate and how PT is a transient workforce overall I would be interested to see how the voter participation is with PTers who have more than 5 years vs below.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I ask this question because I keep seeing the claim that they do and should they vote they'd be able to get what they want because of their numbers.

But I had a moment where I thought, is this really true? Sure there are likely more part timers employed, I don't have the numbers but just thinking about my hub and I have to agree on just a visual assessment.

Then I thought about the turnover rate, we all agree it's very high. So is there really a significant number of part timers over full timers when you think about how many made seniority and also paid their union initiation fees while also being there long enough to have a vote happen?

Just hypothetically we have a center with 50 ft drivers, and 80 pt dealing with preload and reload. So pters outnumber the fters, but only 40 of the pters have been there for more than a year and the other 40 are in a cycle of hire/quit/replace with newhire.

When something to vote on comes around in my hypothetical you have less pters than fters who would be interested or potentially knowledgeable in that vote just because the remaining pters are either just passing through, not there long enough to be able to vote, don't care or just uninformed and so they don't care to vote.

So I want to hear others thoughts on this. I'm not saying I'm right, but I don't think the whole pters outnumber fters thing really holds up. I think this could be an interesting discussion for us here.
They outnumber FTers but not by votes.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The voting record sucks across the board. Election, contracts, etc. The numbers on the strike authorization were pathetic. The Ft'ers work harder than the Pt'ers although I do question some 22.3's I know. I am ok with it just don't but your water bottles with the yellow liquid in my frickin totes when you return to the building. In my building the Pt'ers outnumber the Ft'ers but most do not stay long enough to vote.

AwashBwashCwash

It takes like 4 part timers to equal the hard work a full timer does. Maybe we should call them quarter timers.

I work sort loading up the trailers every night to be sent out. I have recurring nightmares that I passed out from heatstroke and wake up in the dark in the trailer where my coworkers left me for being slow.
You drivers sit on your ass joy-riding all day. Must be very hot cruising with that breeze. Give me a break.

Mr. Marshall

In my building for the first time ever full-timers surpassed part timers something like 375 to 350 and I would have to assume that PT list is a lot more flexible than the FT list.

Tony Q

I chose a smaller idea of preload/reload to make the hypothetical numbers easier.

On my midnight shift we have 13 PDs, 4 unload and sort areas, small sort, secondary sort, recycles, PSC, and irregs. So I can guess 200+ people but I don't know how many are FT. I believe the twilight shift runs the same areas, and I don't know how many work the preload. Then there's 3 centers that all probably run somewhere around 100 routes. I haven't counted the package cars in the lineups.

Last time I looked at the seniority lists there were 5 pages for PT on my shift with the first page being 10+ years the second page pretty much until a couple years then the 3rd was less than a quarter with more than a year and the remaining less than a year.

I'm not doubting on paper there is a significantly higher number of PT than FT. My point was that during a time where a PT vote matters how many of the PT ranks have the ability to vote(in the union and in good standing{New hires that haven't fully paid their initiation fees are not in good standing in my understanding but I could be wrong?})

If there's a significant amount of the PT force who can't vote or will no longer be employed by their own choice that they don't vote because it will no longer effect them, that in my mind could potentially push the ratio much closer to a 1-1 than the 3-1 you say.

I'm not saying PTers don't vote, it's the same as FTers not voting, if we were dealing with 80%+ voter turnout overall and only 20% was PT then the shame is completely on PT for not voting, but the turnout sucks for both FT and PT. With this climate and how PT is a transient workforce overall I would be interested to see how the voter participation is with PTers who have more than 5 years vs below.
Your post is to long for me to read. I am going by decades of tract records of seeing how members actually vote. Part timers vote way less than full timers. I'm not saying that UPS full timers vote anywhere near freight Teamsters, but they vote more than a part timer at UPS.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

I am thinking that the vast majority of votes turned in on either a contract or election are from the feeder division (they generally vote as a block) therefore have better language to protect their classification. Second will be the high seniority package/Hub (22.3) full timers, just from my limited observation they tend to also vote together except for a few lower seniority ones that may stray out of fear of any work stoppage. In my building we do not have many long term part timers, most have already retired but the ones who stay voted "NO" on everything out of pure spite and hate. You can always count on them to turn one in.

This generation of part timers who will be eligible to vote on this contract are hard to read. Most will not vote, not worth their time and they do not know the issues enough to make a informed one or care, just passing thru. Just from some of the interaction with the young ones most were eager to walk a picket line just to see how it feels, seriously they for the most part are make minimum wages anyway living with their parents on their health insurance. Beside most could survive off their strike pay believe it or not, sort of a vacation without pay, they were looking forward to it.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The voting record sucks across the board. Election, contracts, etc. The numbers on the strike authorization were pathetic. The Ft'ers work harder than the Pt'ers although I do question some 22.3's I know. I am ok with it just don't but your water bottles with the yellow liquid in my frickin totes when you return to the building. In my building the Pt'ers outnumber the Ft'ers but most do not stay long enough to vote.

Do you actually have the percentage numbers from the last strike authorization vote? It will tell a lot.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Id pay good money to watch you try to load 1000 pieces in a 90 degree building while saying its easy. 5 bucks says you dont wrap in time. Your talking about mentally tough you dont have to think you grab box and put at doorstep. Both jobs are physical work get that in your thick head.
If I had you as a helper, your legs would be a melted Jello Pudding Pop after Mr. Cosby had his hot hands on it. You'd be running back to the inside begging for double shifts. All jokes aside, we all work hard dude.