Do you communicate with your loopmates?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The UPS loopmate feedback loop goes like this...
Most loops have some insufferable high seniority *itch that makes the rest of the loop miserable. They're constantly jealous, conniving, sticking their nose in their loop mates business. They'll come in an hour early to dig through their loopmates' truck & route, then spend 40 minutes whining & crying to dispatch to get an easier day. All the crap areas will be moved to their loopmates, all the overweights, the annoying customers. They'll take a day off just to screw the lower guys on their loop, or to get even.

When picking vacations, they use their seniority not to make their own family happy, not to go experience fun stuff, but exclusively to screw their loopmates vacations.

They spend a lot of time blowing the center manager & the stewards, as well.
Seriously??? Nobody ever went through my truck except mgt trying to clean it up when I had an 8 hour day or something. A higher seniority driver…hell no.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
…which takes way too long…
Not a surprising statement coming from you. Probably a good thing you never came into feeder because you might have a coronary when dispatch told you to go to the rail and wait for the train..for 2 hours. “Hurry up and wait”…and when you called the office 3 times to see where the train is they will quickly tell you to stop calling and just chill and wait…it’s amazing that it’s the same company…feeder and pkg.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not a surprising statement coming from you. Probably a good thing you never came into feeder because you might have a coronary when dispatch told you to go to the rail and wait for the train..for 2 hours. “Hurry up and wait”…and when you called the office 3 times to see where the train is they will quickly tell you to stop calling and just chill and wait…it’s amazing that it’s the same company…feeder and pkg.
By the time it would have taken me to send the ODS and for the OMS to pass it along with the ORS or center manager the drivers involved would have figured out what needed to be done while ensuring no one was forced to stay out any later than necessary

Eddie:”Dave, I am heavy today. Can I leave my pickups at the bookstore?”
Me: “Sure. Can I cover your last two drop boxes for you to make sure you get in?”
Eddie: “Sure. Thanks”

Less than 30 seconds and his pickups pieces will make service.

Had I sent the ODS I would have said:

“Please tell Eddie to leave his pickups at the bookstore before 1730 and that I will cover his last two drop boxes.”

“Thanks, Dave. We’ll let Eddie know.”

“Eddie will drop his pickups at bookstore and says thanks for covering his last two drop boxes.”

Coldworld

60 months and counting
By the time it would have taken me to send the ODS and for the OMS to pass it along with the ORS or center manager the drivers involved would have figured out what needed to be done while ensuring no one was forced to stay out any later than necessary

Me: “Sure. Can I cover your last two drop boxes for you to make sure you get in?”

“Please tell Eddie to leave his pickups at the bookstore before 1730 and that I will cover his last two drop boxes.”

“Eddie will drop his pickups at bookstore and says thanks for covering his last two drop boxes.”
I get it but at least here before I left pkg the center didn’t want us doing that and have everything go through the office so they could have a communication trail in case something went south, so they had someone to blame in typical ups fashion.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
The UPS loopmate feedback loop goes like this...
Most loops have some insufferable high seniority *itch that makes the rest of the loop miserable. They're constantly jealous, conniving, sticking their nose in their loop mates business. They'll come in an hour early to dig through their loopmates' truck & route, then spend 40 minutes whining & crying to dispatch to get an easier day. All the crap areas will be moved to their loopmates, all the overweights, the annoying customers. They'll take a day off just to screw the lower guys on their loop, or to get even.

When picking vacations, they use their seniority not to make their own family happy, not to go experience fun stuff, but exclusively to screw their loopmates vacations.

They spend a lot of time blowing the center manager & the stewards, as well.
That scenario you described reminds of the one that was described in association with the San Francisco driver who shot one or two of his loopmates.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
We got relatively new people who dispatch rails who don’t even bother telling you that the train isn’t even in yet. Youll drive around for an hour looking for a trailer only to see it on a train just pulling in. This is why I picked a run with 270 miles round trip 8 hours a day and get the Ef out without talking to anyone.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We got relatively new people who dispatch rails who don’t even bother telling you that the train isn’t even in yet. Youll drive around for an hour looking for a trailer only to see it on a train just pulling in. This is why I picked a run with 270 miles round trip 8 hours a day and get the Ef out without talking to anyone.
The railyards all have apps where you can check to see where it's at.

21Savage

I don't know about the lineups in your centers but in my building they keep the lineup so all the loops are parked next to each other (for the most part) so you know from the second you get to your trucks who is effed and who isn't in your loop. One guy might say, I'm effed today might need you to get my pickups, I'll be like ok no problem.

Nah

I guess part of what seems weird to me is the idea of leaving work with other drivers...

My center had us bring our pickups back to the building when we were gonna be out late.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess part of what seems weird to me is the idea of leaving work with other drivers...

My center had us bring our pickups back to the building when we were gonna be out late.
It was roughly 5 miles each way from the area that I was talking about back to the center and would have taken 30-40 minutes to come in, dump and go back out. Took him less than 5 minutes to drop off his pickups and get back on area and took me less than that to load his pickup pieces and head to pickup the nearby drop box.

We were also told to leave our NDA in a drop box that had not been picked up yet if we were going to be late for the air shutting but not for the ground pull or to dump our pickups at the UPS Store.

Hot Carl

Unfortunately, the driver next to me is an EAMer who clocks in and leaves a full 2 hours before I do. Whatever comes down the belt after he leaves goes into my truck and I bring it out to him first thing after I leave the building, which puts me roughly 10 minutes behind every single day. Because they start preload so late sometimes, there are days where he leaves with almost nothing, which sticks me with more than half his load, which in turn destroys mine.

There have been plenty of days where preload can't wrap my truck on time because of it, so I have to help them finish, which puts me even further behind. Inevitably, some of it gets lost and mixed in with mine (this becomes an even bigger problem when they decide not to bag up any of the smalls) , which means I either have to meet him again or just deliver it myself. This arrangement, along with a few other recent developments, have effectively ruined my route, which was already a ball-buster to begin with.

All this to say, I sure do communicate with my loopmates. Or one of them, anyway.