Do you communicate with your loopmates?

Brown Down

Do you text/call your loopmates on issues or do you just let management figure it out?
damn near every day. we actually like each other although if you see us in the building you'd swear we'd kill each other first.
We usually just run any misloads we have between us but we will call if missing air, or if we find a misload so the other driver knows not to look. Now a long time ago in another loop we used to all work together to even out dispatches and we'd all get done around the same time. That was before they company decided to power trip badly on control issues.
The DIADs were designed to allow communication between drivers-----did the Company ever turn that feature on?

On my last route the downtown driver would send me a text if he was heavy and was going to leave his air and/or pickup pieces at a business next to one of my drop boxes. The dispatcher did not care for this driver and often sent him out heavy. I would respond and then grab his pickups.

Loopmates sounds like a club for quilters.
No they haven't. At least not where i am.

It was roughly 5 miles each way from the area that I was talking about back to the center and would have taken 30-40 minutes to come in, dump and go back out. Took him less than 5 minutes to drop off his pickups and get back on area and took me less than that to load his pickup pieces and head to pickup the nearby drop box.

We were also told to leave our NDA in a drop box that had not been picked up yet if we were going to be late for the air shutting but not for the ground pull or to dump our pickups at the UPS Store.
So he left his :censored2: with you so that he could bail out the dispatcher and run off an extra 40 minutes worth of stops, instead of returning to the building and having his dispatch adjusted accordingly. How many of you were blowing all of these managers? Were you just a giant package driver glory hole for those guys???

Commercial Inside Release

Unfortunately, the driver next to me is an EAMer who clocks in and leaves a full 2 hours before I do. Whatever comes down the belt after he leaves goes into my truck and I bring it out to him first thing after I leave the building, which puts me roughly 10 minutes behind every single day. Because they start preload so late sometimes, there are days where he leaves with almost nothing, which sticks me with more than half his load, which in turn destroys mine.

There have been plenty of days where preload can't wrap my truck on time because of it, so I have to help them finish, which puts me even further behind. Inevitably, some of it gets lost and mixed in with mine (this becomes an even bigger problem when they decide not to bag up any of the smalls) , which means I either have to meet him again or just deliver it myself. This arrangement, along with a few other recent developments, have effectively ruined my route, which was already a ball-buster to begin with.

All this to say, I sure do communicate with my loopmates. Or one of them, anyway.
I realize you are just one guy, so you can't do much about changing things...
But, maybe you guys should have stuck up for your union brothers - the air drivers.

If there was an air driver handy, your loopmates wouldn't be wrecking your day, every other day. Most of those ground guys doing AM air routes fought hard to take that work away...

Don't tell @MECH-II
If you deliver air in the morning, you run out of DOT hours two hours earlier than the other drivers, and are always home at a reasonable hour.

Damn air drivers are almost extinct. UPS doesn't even post job listings for them, anymore.
Just Air Ramp - Package Handler

Brown Down

🤦‍♂️ cmon man make the supervisors do something

Why is a misload your problem?

SHEET THEM MISSED
🧔‍♂️✊
Oh don't get me wrong we send them in. And we usually are told to run them. We just let each other know to quit looking in the cluster our loader leaves us daily.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Unfortunately, the driver next to me is an EAMer who clocks in and leaves a full 2 hours before I do. Whatever comes down the belt after he leaves goes into my truck and I bring it out to him first thing after I leave the building, which puts me roughly 10 minutes behind every single day. Because they start preload so late sometimes, there are days where he leaves with almost nothing, which sticks me with more than half his load, which in turn destroys mine.

There have been plenty of days where preload can't wrap my truck on time because of it, so I have to help them finish, which puts me even further behind. Inevitably, some of it gets lost and mixed in with mine (this becomes an even bigger problem when they decide not to bag up any of the smalls) , which means I either have to meet him again or just deliver it myself. This arrangement, along with a few other recent developments, have effectively ruined my route, which was already a ball-buster to begin with.

All this to say, I sure do communicate with my loopmates. Or one of them, anyway.
You find a convenient place to dump the other drivers airs. The other drivers problem to fetch.

textat3

What in the world could a loop mate possibly need from me, or I from him. Just shut your phone off if people start calling you. If anyone needs you, they will communicate through the Diad. We don’t take orders from others drivers, or give orders. Don’t be a hero, just do your job man.

textat3

If you're in a loop with good guys it's pretty easy to communicate with each other to get things figured out. Covering 9.5, 8 hours, certain pickups, blowing out, ODSs, etc. Way easier than letting management figure it out.
Management gets paid to figure it out….you do not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What in the world could a loop mate possibly need from me, or I from him. Just shut your phone off if people start calling you. If anyone needs you, they will communicate through the Diad. We don’t take orders from others drivers, or give orders. Don’t be a hero, just do your job man.
No one is talking about one driver ordering another to do anything.

Driver A was sent out heavy while Driver has a lighter day. Both are in the same loop and have each other’s cell numbers. Driver A reaches out to B to see if they can either meet to swap pickup pieces or if A can leave them at one of B’s pickups. B says no problem and asks if A needs any other help.

Takes less than a minute and leaves mgt out of the decision making process. We did it all the time.