Do you communicate with your loopmates?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
No one is talking about one driver ordering another to do anything.

Driver A was sent out heavy while Driver has a lighter day. Both are in the same loop and have each other’s cell numbers. Driver A reaches out to B to see if they can either meet to swap pickup pieces or if A can leave them at one of B’s pickups. B says no problem and asks if A needs any other help.

Takes less than a minute and leaves mgt out of the decision making process. We did it all the time.
Just because you did it all the time doesn't mean that it is something you should have been doing.

Our dispatcher chooses who does what work at my center.
If my supervisors want me to help another driver, or do anything like you are describing, they will tell me.
If I decide there is a driver I would like to help, I ask my supervisor if it is ok.

Making executive decisions about your time without management being involved sounds like a fast way to get in trouble.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just because you did it all the time doesn't mean that it is something you should have been doing.

Our dispatcher chooses who does what work at my center.
If my supervisors want me to help another driver, or do anything like you are describing, they will tell me.
If I decide there is a driver I would like to help, I ask my supervisor if it is ok.

Making executive decisions about your time without management being involved sounds like a fast way to get in trouble.
It wasn’t just me—-this was SOP in my former center.

When I had my country run the driver on the adjacent route would occasionally drop his pickups at a mutually agreed business for me to pick up. We would do the same if there were any misloads for each other’s route that we were unable to run off.

Drivers who were sent out heavy were told to either come back, dump and go back or to leave their pickups at the UPS Store. We were often told to leave misloads that we could not run off at an easily accessible (and trusted) business to be picked up and either shuttles or delivered.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It wasn’t just me—-this was SOP in my former center.

When I had my country run the driver on the adjacent route would occasionally drop his pickups at a mutually agreed business for me to pick up. We would do the same if there were any misloads for each other’s route that we were unable to run off.

Drivers who were sent out heavy were told to either come back, dump and go back or to leave their pickups at the UPS Store. We were often told to leave misloads that we could not run off at an easily accessible (and trusted) business to be picked up and either shuttles or delivered.
And there is a massive difference between management telling you to do that, and you deciding to do that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And there is a massive difference between management telling you to do that, and you deciding to do that.
The latter was a standing directive while the former was something the drivers involved initiated; either way, service was made on the pickups and the packages were delivered.

As long as one driver was not constantly dumping work on another just to get done early, mgt didn’t care how it get done just as long as it got done.

21Savage

So much easier to figure it out between the two (or more) drivers. Mgt doesn’t care unless one driver is trying to take advantage of the other.
Yup that's what I've found too. Easier and smarter decisions made. I know if my pickup pieces won't be back in time I'll call my guy who closes my ups store(I do the sweep) and say hey I'll meet you there and we pick it up togther and put it in your truck then swap trucks. Management couldn't think of that. They're too dumb.

textat3

No one is talking about one driver ordering another to do anything.

Driver A was sent out heavy while Driver has a lighter day. Both are in the same loop and have each other’s cell numbers. Driver A reaches out to B to see if they can either meet to swap pickup pieces or if A can leave them at one of B’s pickups. B says no problem and asks if A needs any other help.

Takes less than a minute and leaves mgt out of the decision making process. We did it all the time.
Then driver A gets fired for dishonest and self dispatching and driver B gets fired for stealing time.

textat3

Yup that's what I've found too. Easier and smarter decisions made. I know if my pickup pieces won't be back in time I'll call my guy who closes my ups store(I do the sweep) and say hey I'll meet you there and we pick it up togther and put it in your truck then swap trucks. Management couldn't think of that. They're too dumb.
Don’t worry about easier and smarter….work as instructed.

textat3

I hope that doing things easier and smarter,,,,,better than management….helping out your loop mates, being a hero, doing it for the customers, making your own decisions helps you all when you are at panel…Work as instructed..end of story

Undertow

Do you text/call your loopmates on issues or do you just let management figure it out?
Absolutely.

If the A car delivers to a stop that the B driver picks up at, A might message B if that business is shipping out way more than the norm just so B has a "Heads Up". If B car driver spots a supervisor following behind in his car at 1030AM, he sends a group text to A,C, and perhaps D to alert them of what to potentially expect.

Happens all the time.

textat3

Hey John need you to go to Sheetz and meet Charlie and take the rest of his work. He can’t go over 9/5.
He has about 150 stops left. Just be safe. Will try to send help.

What do I do with JJ’s pu pieces…

Why do you have JJ’s pu pieces?

Ok…hey all of JJ’s pieces won’t fit on Charlie’s truck…..Charlie is in a 500….

DriverNerd

Hey John need you to go to Sheetz and meet Charlie and take the rest of his work. He can’t go over 9/5.
He has about 150 stops left. Just be safe. Will try to send help.

What do I do with JJ’s pu pieces…

Why do you have JJ’s pu pieces?

Ok…hey all of JJ’s pieces won’t fit on Charlie’s truck…..Charlie is in a 500….
If dispatch sends you to take 150 stops that's what you do. Let them figure out the logistics of the impossible.

We're not talking about taking over someone's route, we're talking about covering a pickup or stop here or there to help someone else close to you. If you're told to help with 9.5 some of us will take care of the meet point and exchange because it's easier.

undies

Drivers get a written up for self dispatching where I come from. I got written up for “not working in the best interest of the company” when I was stupid enough to try and be a hero. Not worth it!

What'dyabringmetoday???

So he left his :censored2: with you so that he could bail out the dispatcher and run off an extra 40 minutes worth of stops, instead of returning to the building and having his dispatch adjusted accordingly. How many of you were blowing all of these managers? Were you just a giant package driver glory hole for those guys???
He was very tight with the management "team".

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I am not smart or competent enough to make the kinds of operational decisions that management makes. I leave that up to them and work as directed 😎