Do you start your lunch break when you arrive, or start driving, to your break destination?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'd agree with that if it wasn't that the husband was so embarrassed. It was more like a kids mom calling in to talk to the principal.
When I was in delivery there was a guy who would have his wife call in sick for him.
"This is Joe S's wife, my husband isn't feeling well and won't be in today"
I thought it was hysterical, the center manager not so much.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Where is the written policy? Pls post it.

And what is your description of "hauling freight"?

Sorry it took a while.
20220310_091029.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Aww that’s cute!

The point I was trying to make is that company policy does indeed say that personal time starts when you break trace. The person I was responding to didn't believe me. The purpose behind the whole conversation was getting to the justification for ignoring the policy, especially if I am to advise other members that they don't have to follow it.

The same people who tell us to work as directed also tell us we don't have to sign anything and our break starts when we stop our package car. But I still don't think I've ever gotten an answer as to what to say if a member ever were to get in trouble for not starting their break when they break trace. I just want to know how to best represent members.

oldngray

nowhere special
The point I was trying to make is that company policy does indeed say that personal time starts when you break trace. The person I was responding to didn't believe me. The purpose behind the whole conversation was getting to the justification for ignoring the policy, especially if I am to advise other members that they don't have to follow it.

The same people who tell us to work as directed also tell us we don't have to sign anything and our break starts when we stop our package car. But I still don't think I've ever gotten an answer as to what to say if a member ever were to get in trouble for not starting their break when they break trace. I just want to know how to best represent members.
Break starts as soon as you step off the package car. Not while you are still driving.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Break starts as soon as you step off the package car. Not while you are still driving.

Ok. I agree. Now, what do I tell management when they pull out the policy saying otherwise? Do we have panel decisions? I think we established that DOT says it's ok to drive off the clock?

oldngray

nowhere special
Ok. I agree. Now, what do I tell management when they pull out the policy saying otherwise? Do we have panel decisions? I think we established that DOT says it's ok to drive off the clock?
Management can say anything they want. Doesn't make it true.

What if you had an accident while driving to your break place? You are still on company time.

rss13

Oh, I totally got your point. The “cute” part was more directed at the sheet management has. Not at you. My apologies for the confusion.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Oh, I totally got your point. The “cute” part was more directed at the sheet management has. Not at you. My apologies for the confusion.

No worries. I just wanted to make sure I was being clear.

Management can say anything they want. Doesn't make it true.
But it is company policy. What I'm looking for is something iron clad to demonstrate that the policy is invalid.

What if you had an accident while driving to your break place? You are still on company time.

That's a good point, and one we all use. Then they counter with "you're still covered". I think the insurance company may cover their vehicle, but the company will probably try to fight any comp claims for an injury occurring during your personal time. I just went to a steward training where a comp lawyer did a presentation, but it didn't occur to me to ask him about this situation at the time.

Does anyone have a more iron clad reason why we don't have to clock out when we break trace so that I can shut down this weasel claim by management if needed?

Hot Carl

Our center manager has repeatedly had to dish out warning letters and emphasize that “your wheels do not move and your DIAD does not record while on lunch; doing either while off the clock is falsifying records.” One of the precious few positives with the DIAD VI is that it locks you out of EDD while you’re on lunch. But we still had guys taking lunch on their way back to the building.

quad decade guy

Our center manager has repeatedly had to dish out warning letters and emphasize that “your wheels do not move and your DIAD does not record while on lunch; doing either while off the clock is falsifying records.” One of the precious few positives with the DIAD VI is that it locks you out of EDD while you’re on lunch. But we still had guys taking lunch on their way back to the building.
How about sorting your pkg car and such? You didn't mention that....even cleaning your mirrors is working....

Hot Carl

How about sorting your pkg car and such? You didn't mention that....even cleaning your mirrors is working....
They tell us that if you want to organize on your lunch, that’s your decision. That’s something they’re willing to turn a blind eye to since there’s no DIAD or Telematics involved, but I never do that. It’s one thing when you’re qualifying and you have to make the spreadsheets happy. But that is absolutely work and you shouldn’t do it for free.

Nah
They tell us that if you want to organize on your lunch, that’s your decision. That’s something they’re willing to turn a blind eye to since there’s no DIAD or Telematics involved, but I never do that. It’s one thing when you’re qualifying and you have to make the spreadsheets happy. But that is absolutely work and you shouldn’t do it for free.
Lol... My supervisor's logic was "you're not paid to sort and organize your package car, that's preload's job. If you do it you have to do it on break."

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
my center manager would never say anything remotely like that

GameCockFan

Lol... My supervisor's logic was "you're not paid to sort and organize your package car, that's preload's job. If you do it you have to do it on break."
Yeah, I had an :censored2: supervisor tell me something similar once. I told him I'll just run it the way it's loaded then. Delivered the first five, pulled the next five forward, rinse and repeat. Got back for the air with about 60-70 stops delivered and went back out.
Got finished around midnight. Never heard another word about it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You can NOT drive a company vehicle while off duty.
Nor do you do any company business while on break/lunch

How many times does this have to be told?????