Does anyone have a good experience with PAS?

nwpowder

Does anyone have a PAS system that works well? The edd on my route and every other driver in my bldg is a joke. The route's are all over the place and completely illogical. Does anyone have a good system going, I can't tell if it's the system, my local mgmnt or how they want it!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes. The key for me was the work I put in on my DOL when the PAS/EDD team was in my center. I have 3 cover drivers and they all compliment me on how easy it is to follow my DOL. If I could only get my preloader to read those PAL labels...

menotyou

bella amicizia
If only they would give preload the time to read the PAL label.

At my center, NO!! But, it has to do with the people running the system. Not the system itself.

Personally, I get an ego boost because PAL is my initials.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Can't speak for anyone else, our PAS and EDD system are o.k. but certainly not foolproof. There are quite a few misloads due to bad pal labels.

The order for edd is never logical. Especially in the AM when you are breaking off edd , into commit and getting your NDAs off. Sometimes , for ex, I'd hit the 11 businesses at 10:30 to 11:00 on the odd side of the highway on the way back to following the edd sequence.

Sure, the customers that were acquianted with an 11am delivery were closer to 12, but if I followed edd I would have lost 15 minutes just driving and doing nothing.

There are many examples of success with it and failure from the more things I have personally seen with it in diff buildings, centers, routes... Obviously results may vary and I'm sure there are other ideas ;)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's not perfect, but I like it. You get an accurate stop count/piece count before you even get on the car, so there's no more pretending you're not really over dispatched ("Don't worry, it's all bulk!") because the numbers don't lie. And even if it's not in perfect order you can still page through your diad and see exactly what you have. I wouldn't go back to the old way.

brownrod

I've had good experiences with PAS. I've had nightmares with PAS. And everything in between. We have routes that are totally FUBAR. And routes I'd be happy to spend the rest of my career on.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The theory behind it is sound; the system itself is sound; the problems all stem from poor implementation. The management people tasked to write the loops are overworked and not given enough time to do the job properly. Yet another example of the long-term consequnces of doing something "on the cheap". Garbage in, garbage out.

thessalonian13

Does anyone have a PAS system that works well? The edd on my route and every other driver in my bldg is a joke. The route's are all over the place and completely illogical. Does anyone have a good system going, I can't tell if it's the system, my local mgmnt or how they want it!
I have between 5 and 20 bad PAL labels every day. I deliver to office buildings and many of those PAL labels have different company names than what was on the original labels. When I get back from vacation, I always get driver follow ups for misdelivered packages. LMFAO

UPSGUY72

The Edd is only going to be as good as you make it. If your EDD isn't right your need to take notes on how it should be set up than get together with your SUP and the dispatch person and fix it. It isn't going to fix itself.

Or you can do what a lot of drivers do just deal with it. Look at what you got in the morning and plan your route accordingly for what you have on your car that day. That is what I do I never run my route the same everyday if I did I would never get done. I start in the morning know what my first 10 to 20 stops are going to be after I deliver them I stop and sort my next 30 or so stops than repeat through out the day.

Johney

Yes. The key for me was the work I put in on my DOL when the PAS/EDD team was in my center. I have 3 cover drivers and they all compliment me on how easy it is to follow my DOL. .
That should help any scab that comes in if we ever go on strike again. But then again why worry about what may or may not happen right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That should help any scab that comes in if we ever go on strike again. But then again why worry about what may or may not happen right?

So you are saying that I shouldn't work on my DOL just to make it hard on anyone who may have to follow it if we are on strike? Yeah, let me get right on that.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Scabs will hate my building. Dispatcher prefers sleeping with his eyes open or playing poker to actually fixing DOL's. Considering how many years of data is at their fingertips concerning how a driver delivers every day, why do we have to even worry about a DOL?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You jump from a PAS/EDD question to scabs?!?!?! Interesting. :knockedout:

Dave, I for one thank you for taking the time to make sure your EDD is correct. We have drivers here who won't do spit on their EDD and I hate covering their rtes. They suck!

Johney

So you are saying that I shouldn't work on my DOL just to make it hard on anyone who may have to follow it if we are on strike? Yeah, let me get right on that.
Sorry I know that sounded "bad" but if you know your rte who gives a crap how anyone thinks it's loaded. I'm sorry but if sometime down the line we go on strike and your rte is stop for stop in EDD that can do nothing but help the company from getting rid of you. The reason the company basically shut down in 97 was they couldn't operate w/o us. Now with EDD and guys who set there rte up stop for stop in EDD, well you can guess the rest.

Johney

You jump from a PAS/EDD question to scabs?!?!?! Interesting. :knockedout:

Dave, I for one thank you for taking the time to make sure your EDD is correct. We have drivers here who won't do spit on their EDD and I hate covering their rtes. They suck!
You are missing the point dill,yes I know it helps you but just look into the future or the past(97).

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Sorry I know that sounded "bad" but if you know your rte who gives a crap how anyone thinks it's loaded. I'm sorry but if sometime down the line we go on strike and your rte is stop for stop in EDD that can do nothing but help the company from getting rid of you. The reason the company basically shut down in 97 was they couldn't operate w/o us. Now with EDD and guys who set there rte up stop for stop in EDD, well you can guess the rest.

I set my route up in stop for stop order but entirely in reverse. I start at the end of EDD and work my way forward. Any scab that runs my route will start at the wrong end.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are missing the point dill,yes I know it helps you but just look into the future or the past(97).
I don't care what happened in the past and I don't care what may happen in the future. All I care about is getting my job done TODAY! You are getting way to far ahead of yourself. It is pointless.

I don't care what happened in the past and I don't care what may happen in the future. All I care about is getting my job done TODAY! You are getting way to far ahead of yourself. It is pointless.

No disrespect but isn't that the mantra of the typical Me-ster??? Who cares about tomorrow that's why I $h|t where I eat. I'll be somewhere else tomorrow.