does anyone here work in an automated center?

ibleedbrown

my hub is about to go automated, robots will be doing the sorting, that means no more pick off or sorters, only loaders and unloaders and supposedly no more missorts, plus loaders won't be scanning packages anymore. does anyone work in an automated building, how does it work and what should i expect?

Box Ox

I'd imagine some of the scanners/conveyors/belts would look sort of like the ones at Worldport in Lousville but at a smaller scale.

Part 2 of 3 gets more into the sorting process than 1 and 3.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
my hub is about to go automated, robots will be doing the sorting, that means no more pick off or sorters, only loaders and unloaders and supposedly no more missorts, plus loaders won't be scanning packages anymore. does anyone work in an automated building, how does it work and what should i expect?

How big of a hub are you in? Trucks loaded,? I doubt our center of 30 areas will ever see this

ibleedbrown

3rd biggest hub in my state, amazon is starting a huge distribution center a few towns away and they will be doing a lot of business through our hub. one would think it would make life a lot easier...2 loaders for every truck, no scanning, no missorts etc etc but ups is like the government they will find a way to mess it up and make life worse lol!!!!

Overpaid Union Thug

There will still be missorts. Remember.....the been counters and empty suits will crank those sorts up as fast as they dare and that can only result in overflowing belts and package diversions to the wrong shoots. The loaders are still human beings and they can't keep up. I've seen it happen at FedEx Ground years ago.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You guys in the hub have to find the weak links in the system so you can mess things up.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
One of the hubs in our area is automated, I have no idea how much it reduces missorts and misloads. I would think if the difference was big enough to make it a no brainer they would be rolling it out a lot faster than they have been.

Apollo110

I work in an automated hub. We average about 60,000 volume on the Day sort during the summer, which is much smaller volume than Twi and Night. We have eight tenders that watch for overgoods and jams: five on the belts and one for each of the three PDs. Our sort for this volume has about 70 non-management employees.

We struggled a lot with missorts at first because the automated small sort would make a lot of mistakes. A lot of our missorts today come from one bag that a loader misses.

You will still have small sort, tenders, irregs and sweepers - not just loaders and unloaders. In addition, you will still have missorts. Loading is much easier however as you don't have to constantly scan boxes. They only made us use the scanner if we made too many missorts for not checking the labels.

I hope this helps.