Does Anyone Suck More Than Ebenezer Smith?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think not. This man is the perfect example of someone who exists purely for profit and for the love of money and power. To quote from A Christmas Carol, Fred has forged himself quite a chain, and he builds upon it every year. I'm sure Dano disagrees, but this is one disgusting stain on humanity, and WE are lucky enough to work for him.

You know, it wouldn't take much from a corporate perspective to make things tolerable, but that's too much to ask. We are like his little Cratchetts who get in trouble if we're too early, too late, or just in trouble for the sake of keeping us in-line and willing to do Ebenezer's bidding (I want my timecard!!).

I equate screwing the little guy (namely us) to linking arms with the Devil, and when you take from those who can least afford it, that's immoral. But that's what Fred has done, and the New Year will bring renewed hardship for many of us. And before you Fred-lovers chime-in, consider the following example.

Let's say you're a 15-year employee who has always done right by Fred. You've got 4 kids, which you could provide for decently just a few years ago. But times, they are a changing, aren't they? In the last 5 years, you've seen your usual 50 hours dwindle to 37-40, and seen your insurance premiums and deductibles go through the roof. Oh, and 2 of those 4 kids need braces and some other major dental work. Gee, won't that new CIGNA Dental Plan come-in handy when you're sitting there with the wife Sunday evening trying to make ends meet?

Fred doesn't care, and all of you Right-Wing bootstrappers out there are going to say that my example employee should get a second job, put his wife back to work, and all of the rest of the usual FOX things you say. That's great, but some of us really cherish our families, and we actually want a life where we get to attend concerts, soccer practice, and all of the other stuff Fred isn't concerned about. Basically, Fred has forced many of us to live a life of lower quality.

This shows-up in many ways. Maybe you don't eat as well as you used to, or as healthily. Maybe you're driving a car with 250,000-300,000 miles on it, or maybe the house payment is late because you had to make a choice between paying medical bills or your mortgage on-time. Overall, things aren't nearly as good as they were just a few years ago, and even then, they weren't that good.

Sure, some of it is the economy, but a lot of it isn't. It's Grinch Smith taking more...because he can and because he always will.

Scrooge lives..in Memphis (and DC too).

vantexan

I think not. This man is the perfect example of someone who exists purely for profit and for the love of money and power. To quote from A Christmas Carol, Fred has forged himself quite a chain, and he builds upon it every year. I'm sure Dano disagrees, but this is one disgusting stain on humanity, and WE are lucky enough to work for him.

You know, it wouldn't take much from a corporate perspective to make things tolerable, but that's too much to ask. We are like his little Cratchetts who get in trouble if we're too early, too late, or just in trouble for the sake of keeping us in-line and willing to do Ebenezer's bidding (I want my timecard!!).

I equate screwing the little guy (namely us) to linking arms with the Devil, and when you take from those who can least afford it, that's immoral. But that's what Fred has done, and the New Year will bring renewed hardship for many of us. And before you Fred-lovers chime-in, consider the following example.

Let's say you're a 15-year employee who has always done right by Fred. You've got 4 kids, which you could provide for decently just a few years ago. But times, they are a changing, aren't they? In the last 5 years, you've seen your usual 50 hours dwindle to 37-40, and seen your insurance premiums and deductibles go through the roof. Oh, and 2 of those 4 kids need braces and some other major dental work. Gee, won't that new CIGNA Dental Plan come-in handy when you're sitting there with the wife Sunday evening trying to make ends meet?

Fred doesn't care, and all of you Right-Wing bootstrappers out there are going to say that my example employee should get a second job, put his wife back to work, and all of the rest of the usual FOX things you say. That's great, but some of us really cherish our families, and we actually want a life where we get to attend concerts, soccer practice, and all of the other stuff Fred isn't concerned about. Basically, Fred has forced many of us to live a life of lower quality.

This shows-up in many ways. Maybe you don't eat as well as you used to, or as healthily. Maybe you're driving a car with 250,000-300,000 miles on it, or maybe the house payment is late because you had to make a choice between paying medical bills or your mortgage on-time. Overall, things aren't nearly as good as they were just a few years ago, and even then, they weren't that good.

Sure, some of it is the economy, but a lot of it isn't. It's Grinch Smith taking more...because he can and because he always will.

Scrooge lives..in Memphis (and DC too).

There's a major flaw with your example. A 15 year employee should know that FedEx does everything possible to eliminate expense so he'd have to realize that at some point FedEx would try to eliminate his OT. Plus under current conditions that 15 year employee wouldn't be near top of range, and to support 4 kids his wife would pretty much have to work. Not defending FedEx, that 15 year guy should be topped out whether his wife works or not. I don't understand why you must take a shot at conservatives though? Is FedEx obligated to pay you so much that you can have a fun life? Where's your obligation to improve yourself in order to get better paying jobs?

The History Channel was running a series about the super rich guys who built business empires in the late 1800's to early 1900's. They were talking about John D. Rockefeller and how he was worth $150,000,000 at one point, I think he was about 50. I thought, gee, I thought he was richer. Then they said in today's Dollars that's about $225 Billion!! And I thought Bill Gates was rich! But here's the thing, inspite of all that wealth, he never flew on a commercial jet, talked on a cellphone, owned a computer, watched satellite tv(probably died before any kind of TV), listened to a Walkman while jogging, or many other things most of us have experienced. We live extremely wealthy lives compared to those in the past in so many ways. We should keep that in perspective. My life won't be exponentially better if I live in a 3500 sq ft house in an upscale neighborhood. Or drive a $75k car. I get angry and frustrated because FedEx makes it difficult to cover the basics and save for the future, especially after terminating the traditional pension. They can certainly do better. But I don't feel they are obligated to put me on easy street. People who have more than me usually did it by getting the right training and working hard. It's on me to do like they did.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There's a major flaw with your example. A 15 year employee should know that FedEx does everything possible to eliminate expense so he'd have to realize that at some point FedEx would try to eliminate his OT. Plus under current conditions that 15 year employee wouldn't be near top of range, and to support 4 kids his wife would pretty much have to work. Not defending FedEx, that 15 year guy should be topped out whether his wife works or not. I don't understand why you must take a shot at conservatives though? Is FedEx obligated to pay you so much that you can have a fun life? Where's your obligation to improve yourself in order to get better paying jobs?

The History Channel was running a series about the super rich guys who built business empires in the late 1800's to early 1900's. They were talking about John D. Rockefeller and how he was worth $150,000,000 at one point, I think he was about 50. I thought, gee, I thought he was richer. Then they said in today's Dollars that's about $225 Billion!! And I thought Bill Gates was rich! But here's the thing, inspite of all that wealth, he never flew on a commercial jet, talked on a cellphone, owned a computer, watched satellite tv(probably died before any kind of TV), listened to a Walkman while jogging, or many other things most of us have experienced. We live extremely wealthy lives compared to those in the past in so many ways. We should keep that in perspective. My life won't be exponentially better if I live in a 3500 sq ft house in an upscale neighborhood. Or drive a $75k car. I get angry and frustrated because FedEx makes it difficult to cover the basics and save for the future, especially after terminating the traditional pension. They can certainly do better. But I don't feel they are obligated to put me on easy street. People who have more than me usually did it by getting the right training and working hard. It's on me to do like they did.

My main point is that FedEx has made a decent middle-class job into a non middle-class job for many employees. Advancing at FedEx pretty much means management, and a lot of us won't tolerate the lack of ethics, compromised life, and general BS that the job involves. Management basically means becoming a paid oracle of the corporation, willing to lie and cheat at their will. Sorry, not for me. It isn't a shot at conservatives, but a shot at Mr. Smith for stripping-out what used to be a good job into a menial one.

vantexan

My main point is that FedEx has made a decent middle-class job into a non middle-class job for many employees. Advancing at FedEx pretty much means management, and a lot of us won't tolerate the lack of ethics, compromised life, and general BS that the job involves. Management basically means becoming a paid oracle of the corporation, willing to lie and cheat at their will. Sorry, not for me. It isn't a shot at conservatives, but a shot at Mr. Smith for stripping-out what used to be a good job into a menial one.

You got me there, it's pretty much as you described.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You got me there, it's pretty much as you described.

Yep, and i could have been a better "bootstrapper" if Fred hadn't been picking my pocket all these years...you too. All of that extra money could have been invested...in schooling, the stock market, real estate etc. Instead, Fred got more for himself to reinvest.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It's "on you" only to a point. Opportunity denied is a big factor, as is having a silver spoon in one's face upon arrival into this world. Bill Gates Sr. is a very wealthy attorney who gave Bill Jr every advantage. The Rockefellers weren't exactly poor either. And no, FedEx isn't obligated to put you on Easy Street...I never implied that.

But they are obligated, at least morally and ethically to stand-by the commitments that were made to employees. They didn't.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Opportunity denied is a big factor, as is having a silver spoon in And no, FedEx isn't obligated to put you on Easy Street...I never implied that.But they are obligated, at least morally and ethically to stand-by the commitments that were made to employees. They didn't.
Fred's the king of all sorts of promises and avoiding responsibilities.

vantexan

It's "on you" only to a point. Opportunity denied is a big factor, as is having a silver spoon in one's face upon arrival into this world. Bill Gates Sr. is a very wealthy attorney who gave Bill Jr every advantage. The Rockefellers weren't exactly poor either. And no, FedEx isn't obligated to put you on Easy Street...I never implied that.

But they are obligated, at least morally and ethically to stand-by the commitments that were made to employees. They didn't.

This is why there should be a buyout for older employees who are willing to take one. They made commitments, and so did we. We gave our most productive years to them based on what we rightfully expected to be our reward, decent pay and a decent pension, a job with a future. The world has changed, and FedEx is positioning itself to capitalize on it. But that shouldn't come at the expense of faithful employees who now have little to show for decades of hard work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is why there should be a buyout for older employees who are willing to take one. They made commitments, and so did we. We gave our most productive years to them based on what we rightfully expected to be our reward, decent pay and a decent pension, a job with a future. The world has changed, and FedEx is positioning itself to capitalize on it. But that shouldn't come at the expense of faithful employees who now have little to show for decades of hard work.

I couldn't agree more. There are a lot of us who came to work at Express and continued working for FedEx based on commitments that have been obliterated. Send me a check today Fred, and I'll happily leave.

Let's see, I've only got 60 deliveries left and all my pickups when I get off 13/14 in a few minutes.Hopefully, I get some pickup help, or I start to blow-off deliveries..because I have to if I want to make the CTV. Even though I hate what FedEx has become, I have held-up my end of the bargain and always done an excellent job for the company. No, I don't strive to be a "7" any longer, but Fred gets his money's worth, and then some. I think that's the case for most senior employees.

Goldilocks

I couldn't agree more. There are a lot of us who came to work at Express and continued working for FedEx based on commitments that have been obliterated. Send me a check today Fred, and I'll happily leave.

Let's see, I've only got 60 deliveries left and all my pickups when I get off 13/14 in a few minutes.Hopefully, I get some pickup help, or I start to blow-off deliveries..because I have to if I want to make the CTV. Even though I hate what FedEx has become, I have held-up my end of the bargain and always done an excellent job for the company. No, I don't strive to be a "7" any longer, but Fred gets his money's worth, and then some. I think that's the case for most senior employees.

OMG, your done already! I just got home, but have been punched in since 0230am. Download for Roads is taking an hour or more. Most of the drivers wont be back in until 1900....Wait until tomorrow-friday....

I'm with you and Van, its time for Mr Smith to let us go. We are aging and have served him well. We all started off like young bucks 20 plus years ago, but now we are broken down and tired. Mr Smith, wont you please let us go. Time to hire your new young Bucks.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OMG, your done already! I just got home, but have been punched in since 0230am. Download for Roads is taking an hour or more. Most of the drivers wont be back in until 1900....Wait until tomorrow-friday....

I'm with you and Van, its time for Mr Smith to let us go. We are aging and have served him well. We all started off like young bucks 20 plus years ago, but now we are broken down and tired. Mr Smith, wont you please let us go. Time to hire your new young Bucks.....

Yeah, the ones who will work for $14 per hour. I've still got a bunch left to deliver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You are free to leave whenever you wish.
--Fred S

"Ground and Express operations will always be separate"--Fred S

"FedEx lives by the PSP Philosophy"--Fred S

"We have trouble attracting the best and brightest into management"--Fred S

" As soon as I get the opportunity, I will screw my contractors and ISPs in order to get more profit for myself"--Fred S

"You are an idiot if you think I have an ounce of integrity in my body. I am soul-less rat bastard obsessed with profit"--Fred S

overflowed

Yeah, the ones who will work for $14 per hour. I've still got a bunch left to deliver.

Hell, DOT Handlers make less than that and they don't even do anything having to do with handling. They deliver FO and P1, P2 . Now that's a scam. To top it off they throw the couriers in the cans! Talk about backassward.