Does seniority prevail with having to go help people at the end of day?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Being in the building @5:00am to hear cases on the pre-load doesn't count.
Or, hearing cases on the night sort from 11:00pm to 3:30am.

Says the guy.... who tried to call out people.... for not enough sales leads.

-Bug-

What alternate reality do you live in? I am pretty sure 1/2 the local would think the world end if they saw the BA in the building before 8 am! The cases are always heard after 10am and before 4pm!

I have just got to ask. I have made well in excess of 1,500 posts over more than a decade. Exactly how long did it take you to dig up that quote from my first few years? Is this what you do while sitting in the union hall? You don't have anything better to do then read through thousands of posts looking for something?

Benben

Here's where you lose me and most "reasonable" people.
What's the point of resorting to name calling and obscenities???
Do you think it reinforces your perspectives?
....or does it just make you look ignorant and uneducated, uncouth, and juvenile???
I'm going with the latter.
While I don't always agree with @BigUnionGuy and his biting satire at times, I can usually find a way to respond in kind and in compliance with the TOS, and actually manage to learn quite a bit from him in the process.
Try it and you may actually find him to be an asset.
That's far from the truth, even for the worst Business Agent, and trust me, I should know.
I hope you find a way to lose your attitude of "throwing out the baby with the bath water", because it really doesn't solve anything and exacerbates what's frustrating you....think about it?

This is starting to irritate me in today's society. We have too many people who jump into something without doing the perquisite preparation, due diligence if you will, to understand whats going on. They read one post within a 6 page thread and assume they are knowledgeable in the situation and feel the need to interject their 2 cents.

My response was to a "know it all" telling the OP that being re-dispatched at 9 pm to do the work of another is what he signed up for when he became a driver. This, after the OP laid out the situation of being lied to by management when he was informed they, "need as much help from everyone as he can."
If they needed help from everyone, other drivers would not have been allowed to go in and are back home with their families already.

Another way of looking at it, and rightfully so, a "union representative" just told a union brother to, "suck it up" when presented with a problem being experienced by said union member! This attitude has become prevalent with our current leadership as evidenced with this latest contract fiasco! There is a disconnect within our union. BUG is a symptom of the disease rotting out our once great union!

As far as my choice of words, I can honestly tell you, "get over it, I am a truck driver." If a word causes you so much discomfort may I suggest joining a convent or just growing up? See, you knew I could circle back to your "latter" comment!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What alternate reality do you live in? I am pretty sure 1/2 the local would think the world end if they saw the BA in the building before 8 am! The cases are always heard after 10am and before 4pm!

I have just got to ask. I have made well in excess of 1,500 posts over more than a decade. Exactly how long did it take you to dig up that quote from my first few years? Is this what you do while sitting in the union hall? You don't have anything better to do then read through thousands of posts looking for something?

I like how he chooses to address your number of posts and years as a member on the site, but doesn't challenge anything you said about him or the union. I guess even he acknowledges that you got that stuff pegged.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As far as my choice of words, I can honestly tell you, "get over it, I am a truck driver." If a word causes you so much discomfort may I suggest joining a convent or just growing up? See, you knew I could circle back to your "latter" comment!
This site has a Terms Of Service (TOS) that determine whether your choice of words are appropriate or cause "discomfort" as you put it.

....so I don't have to "get over it", "grow up", or "join a convent" because "it" got deleted???

Keep it up and your future posts will be held in queue until your choice of words are deemed in compliance.

BTW, truck driver or not, what kind of man calls another man the "C" word???....seems kind of effeminate to me.
Work on it sailor.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I like how he chooses to address your number of posts and years as a member on the site, but doesn't challenge anything you said about him or the union. I guess even he acknowledges that you got that stuff pegged.

Why would I address anything else he says, when he can't even be honest

about how long he has been here and his post count ?

Benben

Wrong.
You have been here just over 9 years and have made 1263 posts.
Mr. Company brown nose.... should go get a sales lead.

As this ID.

I do find it interesting that with everything I stated you take exception to this 1 item!

LOL, yeah. I had the above response last night typed out but decided not to send so that my previous post would be more readily seen by others.

Bubble, Q this!

Benben

Another way of looking at it, and rightfully so, a "union representative" just told a union brother to, "suck it up" when presented with a problem being experienced by said union member! This attitude has become prevalent with our current leadership as evidenced with this latest contract fiasco! There is a disconnect within our union. BUG is a symptom of the disease rotting out our once great union!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself

35years

Gravy route
You can't drive after 14 hours on duty (including meal and breaks) or 11 hours of logged drive time. Package car drivers don't keep a log so the 11 hour drive time doesn't apply to them, their only limit is the 14 hours on duty time.
Not exactly...
Believe me we "clarified" this the last 2 years working 70 hours in 5 days.
The Dot states the following:
14-Hour Limit
May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

Note that there is no mention of a 14 hour "on duty" time limit.
You can not drive past 14 hours. Many drivers in our building wait till the end to take their paid break, and don't take the unpaid lunch. They have to stop driving at the 14 hour mark. They can then do checkout, take break etc. past the 14 hour mark. We have even had drivers stop the truck at 14 and the supervisor comes out and drives the driver and package car in on a Friday, on the clock.

You then need 10 hours off duty to punch in again. But if you punched out right at 14 hours with no unpaid lunch taken, you will be paid for 14 and have 10 hours off before the same punch in time.

Our whole work group did this last year under the 70 hour rule. We burned all 70 hours in 5 days to avoid Saturday work.

Any other rules like 13.5 max etc. are simply your management team's rules.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not exactly...
Believe me we "clarified" this the last 2 years working 70 hours in 5 days.
The Dot states the following:
14-Hour Limit
May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

Note that there is no mention of a 14 hour "on duty" time limit.
You can not drive past 14 hours. Many drivers in our building wait till the end to take their paid break, and don't take the unpaid lunch. They have to stop driving at the 14 hour mark. They can then do checkout, take break etc. past the 14 hour mark. We have even had drivers stop the truck at 14 and the supervisor comes out and drives the driver and package car in on a Friday, on the clock.

You then need 10 hours off duty to punch in again. But if you punched out right at 14 hours with no unpaid lunch taken, you will be paid for 14 and have 10 hours off before the same punch in time.

Our whole work group did this last year under the 70 hour rule. We burned all 70 hours in 5 days to avoid Saturday work.

Any other rules like 13.5 max etc. are simply your management team's rules.
Not sure what you meant by "not exactly". I said you can't drive after 14 hours on duty which is exactly what the DOt says.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I get the green light of death to go help someone, I ALWAYS ask if there is someone with less seniority available and if I am being forced. I have done that enough so that if it does come on, I am the last resort.

If I do have to help, someone else sets up the meet. My cell battery is always dead.