Does seniority prevail with having to go help people at the end of day?

twoweeled

There have already been rulings siding with the drivers. What if the driver has been going on 5 hours of sleep a night due to a long commute to and from work, and responsibilities before work like getting the kids ready and taking them to school? It’s literally unsafe.
I know, but "supposedly" DOT has taken that into account. Now if there is already some sort of acceptance of this, then great! Looks much better. I'm just saying, I would have given that a second thought. It's not unusual for drivers to show up a bit over the 10 hours, but to just say; I won't be in because I'm fatigued. I would think it might fly once or twice. I personally, would not have advised anyone down that road.
What type of ruling came down on this? Grievance? Arbitration? What type of ruling are you referring too when you say: "There have already been rulings siding with the drivers".

Faceplanted

I know, but "supposedly" DOT has taken that into account. Now if there is already some sort of acceptance of this, then great! Looks much better. I'm just saying, I would have given that a second thought. It's not unusual for drivers to show up a bit over the 10 hours, but to just say; I won't be in because I'm fatigued. I would think it might fly once or twice. I personally, would not have advised anyone down that road.
What type of ruling came down on this? Grievance? Arbitration? What type of ruling are you referring too when you say: "There have already been rulings siding with the drivers".
Go a few pages back to read what dot says.

There was also a case with a fright driver (I forgot what company) who was fired for taking him self out of service due to fatigue. The ruling was in his favor after it went all the way to the top.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not sure about this one. You have the right to return, I think it's still 10 hours between punch in and punch out. Just claiming you're fatigued could open a can of worms, you don't want to open. I'd bet on that one. I also don't think it's right. That is the job now.
I drive an hour to and from work. I have a young child.

Yeah after 60 I’m fatigued.

twoweeled

Go a few pages back to read what dot says.

There was also a case with a fright driver (I forgot what company) who was fired for taking him self out of service due to fatigue. The ruling was in his favor after it went all the way to the top.
Yes, so have you done this yourself?

Faceplanted

Yes, so have you done this yourself?
Taken my self out of service due to extreme fatigue.... yes. I was threatened with discipline the following Monday, I reminded management what dot says. That was that. My managment team doesn’t mess with people who know the rules, they mess with the wanna be tough guys who are in actuality soft and crumble when push comes to shove.

twoweeled

Taken my self out of service due to extreme fatigue.... yes. I was threatened with discipline the following Monday, I reminded management what dot says. That was that. My managment team doesn’t mess with people who know the rules, they mess with the wanna be tough guys who are in actuality soft and crumble when push comes to shove.
How many times have you done this? I'm gonna have to leave pretty soon. But this is why I wouldn't advise someone to do this. It doesn't sound like an accepted practice. A newer guy, doing this repeatedly during peak, may not fare so well. If they threaten you with discipline, it's still not accepted. During peak, management is super busy it's true. but if upper management gets a hair up their butt, they'll take a shot to make an example. It may be alright, but apparently, it does have the potential to open a can or worms.

Last edited:

Faceplanted

How many times have you done this?
Last year 3 or 4 back to back. We also have a few drivers in the center who were getting slammed during non peak times (12-13 hour days Mon-thu). They would call their sup around 3/4pm on Friday and tell them they were too fatigued to finish their route and felt it would be unsafe. A sup had to come and finish their route for them. No discipline came from it. It’s basically the same principal as getting sick on route. Nothing they can really do if it’s not a common occurance.

Last edited:

twoweeled

Last year 3 or 4 back to back. We also have a few drivers in the center who were getting slammed during non peak times. They would call their sup around 3/4pm on Friday and tell them they were too fatigued to finish their route and felt it would be unsafe. A sup had to come and finish their route for them. No discipline came from it.
Yep, I've done the fatigue thing in the middle of the day. The fatigue thing when I was relatively new, on a Saturday morning, during peak, repeatedly? Nope! I was already gone before Saturdays came into package. I doubt I would've anyway, before checking with the local.
Well, I got to go golf a game partner. I'll respond when I get back! Adios!

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
60 hours is what we all signed up for, now to work 60 in 5 days and be forced to come in Saturday to jump for another 10 is absolutely unacceptable.

Last year we were dong 68-69+ hrs in 5 days. Then they forced us to come in Saturday to use up the 1 1/2 hours we had left for 70.

One driver was given a verbal warning because he didn't help after 10 p.m.

542thruNthru

It's an example of sloppy language, and there are others in our supplement (like the holiday language) that contradicts itself.

First it says "required", then at the employers "request", all in the same sentence???

Seems as if the Union feels like if they address it going forward, that it's an admission that it wasn't correct in the past.

Arrogance, ignorance, or obstinance......???

I have to believe they knew what they were doing. They just didn't care that people would be forced in 6th and 7th day.

35years

Gravy route
only boomer dorks think anyone actually wears ties or uses tablets these days

get with the times old man
Yep, no one uses tablets; the Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 or the iPad pro come to mind. I am so "old".

And my tie reference was a double metaphor, but a nuanced one...referring to your self important attitude and your apparent wish to imitate "Tie Guy", a legend on this forum.

My reference to "the land of make believe (IE)" was a shot at the IE department who thinks they actually think they know what actually happens in operations based on the numbers which are manipulated to please IE and upper management....The all seeing eye is blind to what happens when the ring is off the finger, Sauron.

All of which apparently escaped your nimble, "young" mind.

Just a dumb "old" truck driver am I.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Someone needs help go friend help! Karma is a mother!

b3a.gif

SBTY_Syndrome

Center Managers Hate Me
Slow the hell down. I was asked to help when I had my last stop at 20:30 and start time was 08:30. So that means my stops per hour went from 20 to 15. It’s not my fault management sent the casual out blind with 250 stops and 450 pieces in a 6 cube. Maybe he should’ve finished at 6 pm the night before with 220 and 390 pieces.