Does seniority prevail with having to go help people at the end of day?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Long story short. Over 200 stops today. Just finishing up. Green light of death comes on to go help another driver. I told my sup hours ago that I do not want this extra work and that I will be out past 9pm. I also know for a fact that less seniority drivers have been allowed to go home. He said it has nothing to do with seniority and that he just needs as much help from everyone as he can. Even though other people were allowed to go home?
I will talk to my steward on Monday but is this right? This isn’t considered extra work that is forced to lower seniority guys?
You have to work as instructed
If you don't want to help people then slow down and take a lunch in the middle of the day
Otherwise stop beach ing and collect extra $$$$$
This is the job you signed up for

twoweeled

Last year we were dong 68-69+ hrs in 5 days. Then they forced us to come in Saturday to use up the 1 1/2 hours we had left for 70.

One driver was given a verbal warning because he didn't help after 10 p.m.
Yep! I assume your referring to package. In feeder, we were 60 hour week people. Then it went to 62.3 hours because they started taking breaks into the equation. Then back to 60 hours. When sleepers were brought in, they were at 70 hours/week. When feeder local needed more man hours, they started going back and forth with 60 and 70 hours, with Local drivers. Whatever suited management that day or week. Now package I hear is on the 70 hour week! Sometimes 6 days? That is just BS for package. Many of these young guys are just seeing dollar signs (I seen the same). Your body WILL NOT take 12 hour days in package without you paying a price. It's not even a, "most" will not survive. You work consistent 12's for years, your body "IS" going to break. There should have been strong language to prevent this, but taking care of the employee was never a large priority in this contract.

twoweeled

You have to work as instructed
If you don't want to help people then slow down and take a lunch in the middle of the day
Otherwise stop beach ing and collect extra $$$$$
This is the job you signed up for
Yeah, that's sorta my view point on this. He could go the fatigue route, but depending on how seasoned he is in the office with management and the heat lamp - he could end up saying something incriminating that can screw him. Like you, if your fatigued, slow down!! You pace yourself. You have to enter a state of mind, where you throw the clock out the window. Production is no longer on the list. Keep moving, take your breaks, meals and start doing stuff by the book - because chances are they're gonna to start checking your stuff out. When they pull you in the office and inquire about production. "I'm doing the best I can". We've all heard it. It's a fairly legit statement. Use it, stick to it, AND STOP TALKING AFTER THAT! Some of you guys get in that office and TALK TOO MUCH!! You end up saying something they'll slap you in the face with later. "I'm doing the best I can". Repeat it as many times as you have too. As many times as they ask. Yeah, management will know your getting crappy with them. That's okay! Just watch your stuff after you make this decision. Unless things have changed, They'll start looking.

twoweeled

Taken my self out of service due to extreme fatigue.... yes. I was threatened with discipline the following Monday, I reminded management what dot says. That was that. My managment team doesn’t mess with people who know the rules, they mess with the wanna be tough guys who are in actuality soft and crumble when push comes to shove.
Management messes with everyone! The people who they mess with the least, are the people who are doing what they want anyway. The people who are still within about under 45 minute over allowed a week "average" or better. They still have the WOR in package, right? Been awhile. If your close to 1.5 hours over allowed all week long, everyday, and they don't mess with you anymore,,,then you must be a BAD MO FO!! or things have drastically changed!! LOL!!
I used to listen to drivers all the time, "I told them this", I told them that"! But these guys were beating their routes!! Big deal!! Management doesn't care what you say, as long as you produce, they'll work with you. Production drivers work under different conditions than drivers 1.5 in the hole every day!! Different worlds.

Johnny onthe Spot

Long story short. Over 200 stops today. Just finishing up. Green light of death comes on to go help another driver. I told my sup hours ago that I do not want this extra work and that I will be out past 9pm. I also know for a fact that less seniority drivers have been allowed to go home. He said it has nothing to do with seniority and that he just needs as much help from everyone as he can. Even though other people were allowed to go home?
I will talk to my steward on Monday but is this right? This isn’t considered extra work that is forced to lower seniority guys?
This is the life you chose when you signed up to be a driver. If you finish your work early during peak you should expect to be sent back out to help.

35years

Gravy route
In feeder, we were 60 hour week people. Then it went to 62.3 hours because they started taking breaks into the equation.
13 hours and 50 minutes paid per day...package.

Our supplement provides for 20 min paid and 40 unpaid, but only have to take 10 min unpaid.

So we were working 14 hrs punch to punch 9:30 to 11:30 with 10 min unpaid, m-friend.

If you had less than 69 paid by Friday they forced you in Saturdays. I did my pre-trip, drove out to my area, del 3 stops, came back, fueled and punched out one Saturday.

We were walking zombies by Christmas. I fell asleep at the wheel for the first time in my 4 decade career.

ManInBrown

Get done at 10pm every night. Only way to fix it. Problem solved. You get done early you’re helping.

DOK

They like to rely on the veterans at this time, they don’t trust the rookies out late in the dark etc. Then when peaks over they will want to reduce our hours and hire these lower paid 22.4’s. Take your lunch and drag your feet when they ask you to help someone at 9pm, they won’t ask again.

It should be the other way around, the young rookies should be the ones staying out. We were all there once.

YUOVER95

They had me go and take the rest of another drivers stops because they said they “need his pick up volume back at the building”. I suggested how about I take his pick up volume and he keeps working. They told me because “The stops would get off faster if I did them.”

542thruNthru

They had me go and take the rest of another drivers stops because they said they “need his pick up volume back at the building”. I suggested how about I take his pick up volume and he keeps working. They told me because “The stops would get off faster if I did them.”

And I would have them delivered 1 stop every 15 min.

Do less then 200 stops

35years

Gravy route
Unless one of you is out of hours you are both "present, and available" for the OT when you meet. It has to be considered "extra work" since it was assigned to one driver then switched to another. Extra work, by contract, is to be awarded by seniority to those who are present and available.

File if they do not respect seniority in this situation when deciding who will do the extra stops.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Do you remember that whole part.... filling out the job application....
Wanting to be a pkg car driver ?
:biggrin:

You are a....*******************

Remember this fun fact Brown Biscuit......your union reps are always at home with their families before 5 pm!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

Please re-read what you wrote 2 more times then engage your brain!

It will come to you and your life at UPS will be much better for it!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You are a....whats the word I am looking for........rhymes with punt but starts with a C!

Remember this fun fact Brown Biscuit......your union reps are always at home with their families before 5 pm!

Exactly, what have you ever done for the Union and the members ?

Besides.... coming to this forum to complain.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are a....whats the word I am looking for........rhymes with punt but starts with a C!
Here's where you lose me and most "reasonable" people.
What's the point of resorting to name calling and obscenities???
Do you think it reinforces your perspectives?

....or does it just make you look ignorant and uneducated, uncouth, and juvenile???

I'm going with the latter.

While I don't always agree with @BigUnionGuy and his biting satire at times, I can usually find a way to respond in kind and in compliance with the TOS, and actually manage to learn quite a bit from him in the process.

Try it and you may actually find him to be an asset.
That's far from the truth, even for the worst Business Agent, and trust me, I should know.

I hope you find a way to lose your attitude of "throwing out the baby with the bath water", because it really doesn't solve anything and exacerbates what's frustrating you....think about it?

Last edited:

twoweeled

13 hours and 50 minutes paid per day...package.

Our supplement provides for 20 min paid and 40 unpaid, but only have to take 10 min unpaid.

So we were working 14 hrs punch to punch 9:30 to 11:30 with 10 min unpaid, m-friend.

If you had less than 69 paid by Friday they forced you in Saturdays. I did my pre-trip, drove out to my area, del 3 stops, came back, fueled and punched out one Saturday.

We were walking zombies by Christmas. I fell asleep at the wheel for the first time in my 4 decade career.
DAMN!!! I remember that Zombie feeling during peak, late at night when your just working on autopilot. Cold, dark, and people home commenting on your working hours. But I didn't work as many hours as you guys. I'm not totally clear on the hours thing anymore, but I don't think it's only the (for feeder) 13.5 hour day, there was also the behind the wheel time taken into account. I think the "behind the wheel" time had a max of 11 hours? Not totally clear to me now. How are your knees and back? Take care of yourself. No one else will.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That's far from the truth, even for the worst Business Agent, and trust me, I should know.

Being in the building @5:00am to hear cases on the pre-load doesn't count.

Or, hearing cases on the night sort from 11:00pm to 3:30am.

While I don't always agree with @BigUnionGuy and his biting satire at times, I can usually find a way to respond in kind and in compliance with the TOS, and actually manage to learn quite a bit from him in the process.

And @Bubblehead should know.

On many occasions I've challenged him.... and the worst he has every responded

to me, was with a witty retort of his own. Never any personal attack.

Says the guy.... who tried to call out people.... for not enough sales leads.

As a cover driver I get about 2-3 leads per week! How you don't have one in 4 years is...well it bogles the mind!

If you do not care enough about MY COMPANY to be bothered with taking the 45 seconds to enter info into the DIAD then by all means get the ___ out! "if I believe our product is better for the customer" ARE YOU :censored2: KIDDING ME?!?!?! IF!!!! IF you do not "BELIEVE" "OUR" product is better by all means please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

The picture is becoming clearer.

@Benben is either a management shill.... or a company brown nose.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
DAMN!!! I remember that Zombie feeling during peak, late at night when your just working on autopilot. Cold, dark, and people home commenting on your working hours. But I didn't work as many hours as you guys. I'm not totally clear on the hours thing anymore, but I don't think it's only the (for feeder) 13.5 hour day, there was also the behind the wheel time taken into account. I think the "behind the wheel" time had a max of 11 hours? Not totally clear to me now. How are your knees and back? Take care of yourself. No one else will.
You can't drive after 14 hours on duty (including meal and breaks) or 11 hours of logged drive time. Package car drivers don't keep a log so the 11 hour drive time doesn't apply to them, their only limit is the 14 hours on duty time.