Does this sound right?

Almal5831

I am a qualified PT Cover Driver, with only 6 months seniority. My center has about 55 trips on average (non-peak) a day. The past 3 1/2 weeks I have only been utilized as a driver helper. When I addressed my concern today about not driving on my usual split with the driver supervisor, especially during peak his response was,"Peak is next week. Have to work cover drivers as helpers till we can put the routes on...No routes on yet. Be patient it will soon be time this helper crap slows down for about a week". One main reason I am concerned is I make $5.25 less an hour to do the same work as a helper, minus turning the steering wheel & did UPS hire too many new drivers to fulfill non peak volumes i.e.(screwed for work after peak)?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am a qualified PT Cover Driver, with only 6 months seniority. My center has about 55 trips on average (non-peak) a day. The past 3 1/2 weeks I have only been utilized as a driver helper. When I addressed my concern today about not driving on my usual split with the driver supervisor, especially during peak his response was,"Peak is next week. Have to work cover drivers as helpers till we can put the routes on...No routes on yet. Be patient it will soon be time this helper crap slows down for about a week". One main reason I am concerned is I make $5.25 less an hour to do the same work as a helper, minus turning the steering wheel & did UPS hire too many new drivers to fulfill non peak volumes i.e.(screwed for work after peak)?
Why aren't you getting your regular pay rate....that doesn't sound right.

upschuck

Don't know about PT drivers since we don't have them, whenever a driver jumps, they get their driver rate.

As far as not having the runs, that is normal. It may cost a little more now, but putting on routes before they are actually need, would probably save money in the long run.

BrownTexas

1. Talk to you steward about it.
2. They are suppose to exhaust all drivers before running helpers.

What sense does it make to you that they can't add routes but run helpers. They aren't adding routes because they can add 60 stops per driver and just run a helper instead of running more routes. Your sup is just lying to you and you are falling for it. Just like the lie that "black Friday" is a scheduled work day.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Where the hell did they come up with that rate. Lol. No. It dosent sound right at all. I'd call my ba ASAP. You could prob file and get back pay at your driver rate

Call your business agent.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Our agreement (Joint Council 28) says your "normal" rate or $11, whichever is higher. You are pt correct? So probably your inside rate is the rate you'd get, not your utility rate. For sure, ask your BA.

CHALLY9TX

1. Talk to you steward about it.
2. They are suppose to exhaust all drivers before running helpers.

What sense does it make to you that they can't add routes but run helpers. They aren't adding routes because they can add 60 stops per driver and just run a helper instead of running more routes. Your sup is just lying to you and you are falling for it. Just like the lie that "black Friday" is a scheduled work day.

Agree. But why is Black Friday a scheduled work day a lie? How is it a lie?

BrownTexas

Agree. But why is Black Friday a scheduled work day a lie? How is it a lie?
Because they can't force you to work a holiday. How are they going to pay you holiday pay, but if you call in, also take an option day? Getting paid twice if you don't come to work.

CHALLY9TX

Because they can't force you to work a holiday. How are they going to pay you holiday pay, but if you call in, also take an option day? Getting paid twice if you don't come to work.

What's your point? They can't force you to work on any day. I get paid twice for not coming in. I'm on vacation that week. The confusion comes in that most supplements guarantee the day after thanksgiving as a PAID day. It's NOT a guaranteed day off.

Almal5831

Spoke to union steward, the union may be filing a mass grievance on behalf of everyone involved. Apparently it's not just happening to me.

By The Book

Spoke to union steward, the union may be filing a mass grievance on behalf of everyone involved. Apparently it's not just happening to me.
I think your supervisor was being for the most part straight with you. In a lot of areas the drivers that were on vacation are back to drive their routes. If your thinking you will get your progression rate over helper rate you may be disappointed. If you are used as a helper; after a preload shift and are not the driver you are a helper. You should see overtime paid on the rate you are being paid when you get to 8 hours. Now I do think your pay rate you mentioned is screwy. If they use you as a utility driver where you drive the truck all day, then you should get your progression pay ( ground driving rate ).