Does your Center make or lose money on Sat Air

Dr.Brownz

We have 3 TCD in my center. They work most of the time in summer, non stop at peak and the occasional Friday the rest of the year. If they were perm, they would be laid off, bumping onto the preload and local sort.

So what that is UPS's problem. Maybe they can find other work for them to improve things at the local facilities instead of just floundering in the same :censored2: quagmire constantly?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
they know that they lose money in some areas,,same as in a normal day!!
how ever ,,,the EMPIRE weighs their money,,,they dont count it !! so dont worry about it !!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Oh we make money. If your area has pickups on Saturday you're guaranteed to make money. On a bad day, I'll pickup 60 pieces and without fail there's a few overweights which on their own pay my wage, the fuel for that day, and pays for some of the new folks as well. Even an envelope is about $17. My boss and I figured that an average Saturday will have us profit about $3k.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Oh we make money. If your area has pickups on Saturday you're guaranteed to make money. On a bad day, I'll pickup 60 pieces and without fail there's a few overweights which on their own pay my wage, the fuel for that day, and pays for some of the new folks as well. Even an envelope is about $17. My boss and I figured that an average Saturday will have us profit about $3k.
You're looking at it on a micro scale. On a macro scale we are less efficient on Saturdays since everything is so much more spread out. High volume pick ups help, but if someone is doing 10 stops an hour and putting on a lot of miles we aren't making much.

margaritaville

Saturday air driving is literally fun. Easy, mostly small boxes and get to see lots of area. But its on a saturday and like having free time. So i never sign up for extra work.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
According to UPS our center loses money 24/7/365
Our IE guys says we lose money because we don't follow his numbers to a T.

Well buddy, you sit in a cubicle, and we work in the real world. Come check it out sometime and you'll see your pretty numbers don't work.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You're looking at it on a micro scale. On a macro scale we are less efficient on Saturdays since everything is so much more spread out. High volume pick ups help, but if someone is doing 10 stops an hour and putting on a lot of miles we aren't making much.
...an envelope is $17. The average package delivered in my hub is a tad larger than a shoe box. Those are roughly $50-$75 a box. Top scale air wage is $27-ish (I have to look...I know we just got a raise...) we make roughly 70% of ground wage, we average about 15 stops for 14 drivers and they clock out at 12:30. Plus in my building only 7 of the 14 are at top scale. Most of them just started or have a year in. My building is making bank every Saturday. UPS does nothing if it doesn't make them money in the long run. They're slave to the quarter results. Yes, some buildings lose money. Some centers are cost centers, but they make up for it in the constant around town advertising the trucks do and from the larger operations. I'm in the second largest city in the state (no worries...still only about 500k people including the outlying areas) so we do ok. ORION sure doesn't do any favors for our building. That's why our Saturday air is profitable. Drivers make decisions on how to deliver ;P

AKCoverMan

According to UPS our center loses money 24/7/365
Were the same way, because of the way UPS accounts for revenue.

Basically delivering packages simply incurs costs on a centers balance sheet. The center only get credit for revenue when they pick up volume.

We do make some bank in my center on shipping out lots of seafood but we still deliver far more volume then we pick up.

It seems to me that the center that delivers the package should get some part of the revenue. But it's all right pocket left pocket and the end of the day the company still makes money overall.

Can't have the "profitable" centers without the "unprofitable" centers on the other end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...an envelope is $17. The average package delivered in my hub is a tad larger than a shoe box. Those are roughly $50-$75 a box. Top scale air wage is $27-ish (I have to look...I know we just got a raise...) we make roughly 70% of ground wage, we average about 15 stops for 14 drivers and they clock out at 12:30. Plus in my building only 7 of the 14 are at top scale. Most of them just started or have a year in. My building is making bank every Saturday. UPS does nothing if it doesn't make them money in the long run. They're slave to the quarter results. Yes, some buildings lose money. Some centers are cost centers, but they make up for it in the constant around town advertising the trucks do and from the larger operations. I'm in the second largest city in the state (no worries...still only about 500k people including the outlying areas) so we do ok. ORION sure doesn't do any favors for our building. That's why our Saturday air is profitable. Drivers make decisions on how to deliver ;P

You left off the $10 Saturday air surcharge on each package.