Dogs, Diads, Rain, Drains, Kmart boots.....

satellitedriver

Well, I have just completed my first FULL week as a driver. Spent over a year doing preload. I have to tell you that there is soooooo much more then driving and delivering. What a week. First thing I am going to do is buy better boots. I have these cheap Kmart boots that have no support and no padding. My shins are killing me. 1/2 of my stops are single houses up on steep hills from the street.

Went to one house today got about 1/2 way to the door when 2 good sized dogs came flying around the corner barking and growling. I stopped and tried to dominate but with in a few seconds they were nipping at me, I turned to run back to the truck and one got me in the back of the leg. Punctured my skin and drew a little blood. Thank God they had the invisble fence. What should I of done if I dropped the package right there on the lawn and couldn't get back to it because of the dogs? I did a nondel. Hope the dogs are in on Monday.

The other night I was on a small winding street in the rain. The cheap little wippers were not doing the job. Cars are wizzing buy me and I am white knuckles all the way down the road. Between the wipers and the condensation on the inside of the truck it was hard to see the road let alone a mailbox.

Made the mistake of putting the Diad on top of the metal instrument box instead of the Diad holder......made a left turn and right out the door the Diad went. Lucky me it was a side street.

Last stop today, pulled up along the side of the curb, had a box in hand with a finger through the key ring.......some how they slipped and landed about 6" from a storm drain.

Can't wait to see what next week brings me!!
Welcome aboard the crazy train.
80% of what you posted is a daily driver hassle.
20% is just rookie mistakes.
Never run from a dog.
Fight them where you stand.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Come on Sat, I didn't think Hoax meant anything bad. I think all he was saying was stand your ground, don't back down. On the other hand that might not be a good thing! LOL

browniehound

KingofChester,
Welcome to UPS package car driving!! My best advice is "Don't get hurt out there". Its not worth it to get hurt when you are cutting corners to save 2 minutes. Why sacrifice your body and well-being when you are delivering bundles? Its not brain surgery, so don't act like it is when you feel like you are behind or have a heavy load.

Its easier said than done, but you should follow the methods as close to 100% as possible. They are there to protect you from accidents and injuries.

They probably help with wear and tear on the body also. I actually LOVE the job. I feel good after a hard day's work. Its great to be on the road away from your boss. Its great to be outside everyday breathing fresh air. I also enjoy seeing many of my customers and meeting new ones.

The problem I have with the driving job is what its doing to my body. My joints hurt everyday. My muscles are sore everyday. My back is OK but the rest of my body aches everyday that I work. I feel worse when I wake up than when I go to bed at night.

I don't know what to do becuase I'm not even sniffing 40 yet:sick:.

Other than physical pain, its a great job!

DS

Fenderbender
when you have a big over 70lb irreg that needs a signature, do you ring the bell before you lug the box up to the door?? I don't think I will make that mistake again.
Every delivery is unique .If you hurt yourself lugging an over 70 by yourself you will be disciplined.I'd suggest that in this case you leave the pkg in the car and find out if there is anyone home.If so,ask if anyone could help you.
Your post could've been called,a day in the lfe.
You'll find that just like everything else in life,you learn best by trial and error,but for the most part,as earlier stated,the methods work.

buttere

Hey congrats on becoming a UPS driver, good luck next week!

When it comes to dogs; always honk a couple times when pulling up to your stop. I usually call out "UPS" as I'm approaching the house and listen for any barking. If you encounter a mean dog don't turn your back to it. It takes a real aggressive dog to attack you while you are facing it, but they are fearless when you turn your back. Also, always have your diad with you to use as a weapon as a last resort...I've never had to do that after almost 3 years of full time driving. I have ran away from my share of dogs though.

Once I was carrying 3 good size packages to a house when a dog came running for me...i threw the boxes in the yard and ran like hell, barely making it back to the truck. Rather than fend off Kujo, I called the center to let them know what happened.

As far as large or heavy packages go, I make sure they are home first or find a place to hide it before getting it out of the truck. I usually scan the package first so that I can leave a note if I need to while I'm at the door.

It always sucks when you have a business stop with lots of pieces...you find all the boxes, get them in the cab, load them on the cart, then drag your cart up a curb etc, just to find they are closed or out to lunch.

You will learn some hard lessons doing this job!

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod is right, although I personally feel involving the police is a bit over the top. Go to the hospital and get a tetanus shot after you fill out the injury report. Better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, it does get better.

I always liked to get the police involved just to let the home owner know how much I appreciated their mutt biting me. Usually if a dog bites you , you are not the first one it has bit. Somewhere along the line it has nailed the garbageman or the postman also. When the home owner knows that their mutt is on record as being a viscious dog they tend to keep it under contol more. :peaceful:

Big Babooba

King, I learned very quickly about dog bites and diad use. Keep the diad between you and the dog (2 dogs are a little bit harder to deal with but is still do-able). The dog will attack whatever is closer (usually). And if the dog gets closer than the diad give a good sound whack upside the head. And I don't mean a tap. Smack the crap out if it.

And never ever turn your back on a dog that is being aggresive, that is a sure invitation for a bite.
I've knocked out a German Shepherd's teeth with a DIAD. I didn't mean to, he moved his head as I whacked him.
In AZ a dog bite is worth 3 grand minimum. If it is a serious bite it will be much more.
I know a driver who got $8000.00 for a dog bite.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I always liked to get the police involved just to let the home owner know how much I appreciated their mutt biting me. Usually if a dog bites you , you are not the first one it has bit. Somewhere along the line it has nailed the garbageman or the postman also. When the home owner knows that their mutt is on record as being a viscious dog they tend to keep it under contol more. :peaceful:

Good point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...It always sucks when you have a business stop with lots of pieces...you find all the boxes, get them in the cab, load them on the cart, then drag your cart up a curb etc, just to find they are closed or out to lunch.
I had this happen to me yesterday. I had 67 pkgs for Weight Watchers, which had just moved on to my route and, of course, there was no one around. Their office is on the 2nd floor, in a corner off to the side, and there was no way that I was working around 67 pkgs the rest of the day or on Monday for that matter so I piled up them as neatly as I could in front of their door while making sure that they could easily open the door and went on my way. I callled my on-car to let him know and he just said to make sure that they could get in and out of their office and that the boxes were as out of the way as possible.

Big Babooba

...It always sucks when you have a business stop with lots of pieces...you find all the boxes, get them in the cab, load them on the cart, then drag your cart up a curb etc, just to find they are closed or out to lunch.
I had this happen to me yesterday. I had 67 pkgs for Weight Watchers, which had just moved on to my route and, of course, there was no one around. Their office is on the 2nd floor, in a corner off to the side, and there was no way that I was working around 67 pkgs the rest of the day or on Monday for that matter so I piled up them as neatly as I could in front of their door while making sure that they could easily open the door and went on my way. I callled my on-car to let him know and he just said to make sure that they could get in and out of their office and that the boxes were as out of the way as possible.
Carry each one of those 67 boxes up and down the stairs and watch the pounds melt off!

old levi's

blank space
Dogs: Experience is the best teacher. But, when you turned your back on them you gave them an opening. Use diad as a shield/weapon. My route is 95% rural (lots of dogs). I always carry little milkbones in my shirt pocket. If a dog is aggressive,but not mean,you can shift his focus by dropping a milkbone in front of him. After that one throw the second one a good distance and when he trots off to get it complete the delivery. Make sure you have one left to get back to the truck. I have converted problem dogs into teddy bears/ after a while they figure out that you're the cookie man.

Diad: Keep the diad in the holder. When unloading a res. bulk stop at the back of the truck remember to get diad when returning to truck. BTDT Also, on this subject, never put a pkg. on the cab floor even if it's your next stop because it WILL end up on the street. This is an inviolate law. It will end up on the street.

Rain: On a rainy day always have a couple of old hand towels within reach to wipe the condensation from the windshield and dry the mirrors. Condensation will be worse if you have doors closed. The only time I close the doors is when it's raining sideways. Mild winters.

Keys: Get those keys off your finger and in your pocket where they belong. I don't keep anything else in that pocket. ( change,etc.)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have been bit one time. I reported it to mgt and to animal control. The first time I talked to animal control he said the dog seemed well behaved. The second time he had a completely different perspective of the dog. Apparently the owners didn't have him under control as much as the first time.

I had one dog attack the diad (I learned after being bitten:happy-very:). I left a note on the box (actually written on the box) to get their dog contained or it would be reported to the sheriffs office and I would see to it UPS would suspend service to them. Never saw the dog again. There are still teeth marks on the diad.

One of the other drivers at my ctr was so seriously bitten that part of the dogs tooth broke off in her leg. She is terrified of dogs now.