Doing away with feeders in hubs that don't produce volume

tireknocker

Moving feeder runs out of Salina Ks, and Trinidad Co. This could be happening all over the country as UPS looks to cut cost. Salina is in between Lenexa Ks and Denver Co. Trinidad Co is between Albnm and Denco cutting the middle man out. They eliminated 10 jobs in Salina and 9 in Trinidad if the information we got is correct so far.........

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Moving feeder runs out of Salina Ks, and Trinidad Co. This could be happening all over the country as UPS looks to cut cost. Salina is in between Lenexa Ks and Denver Co. Trinidad Co is between Albnm and Denco cutting the middle man out. They eliminated 10 jobs in Salina and 9 in Trinidad if the information we got is correct so far.........

Well, that sucks, but if there's not enough volume to move to sustain feeder runs, then I kind of agree

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've heard rumors in my neck of the woods but nothing solid yet. I am lucky enough to be at a huge hub so I should be good for the time being.

MoarTape

Extended centers have been getting cut out of feeders in some areas for years. Volume or not.

We have the opposite going on here. We have drivers sitting at home or working inside, while every building within 200 miles is coming in and taking the work. Most extended centers have at least one run, which is fine by me, but other hubs are coming in and taking everything extra. We have twice as many drivers as we do runs.

Overpaid Union Thug

We have the opposite going on here. We have drivers sitting at home or working inside, while every building within 200 miles is coming in and taking the work. Most extended centers have at least one run, which is fine by me, but other hubs are coming in and taking everything extra. We have twice as many drivers as we do runs.

Are you talking about them coming and making your area's central pickup's or them bringing trailers from theirs and then grabbing other trailers off the doors and moving on?

MoarTape

Some of the extended center drivers get sent out to some of our pickups. We've has drivers from other buildings come in with an empty and pull loads that we used to take as well. They basically do whatever they can to either bypass us or give the work to someone else.

SSkismarkSS

I'm from Trinidad and followed my work to DENCO. The change is supposed to speed up the trailers coming into Denver. I personally believe this is all about AMAZON. With the new INDTX center becoming more of a focus for quicker service. On this run I am running 642 miles per day, rush hour in Denver and Colorado Springs in both the AM and PM. The run is from Denver to Clayton NM. 68 mph truck and we are having a tough time getting it done with 11 hours of drive time let alone 60 hours total.Construction, accidents, weather? They are gonna be screwed come winter. We will run out of hours and they will need 8 drivers and trucks to come and get our loads from our 8 runs. Trinidad has 4 600+ mile runs that won't make it back in bad weather and they don't have extra drivers. Vernon TX will have 8 as well and DALTX will have to come and get their 4 drivers. They think it's gonna save them a couple million bucks a year. The runs aren't cut, just moved.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm from Trinidad and followed my work to DENCO. The change is supposed to speed up the trailers coming into Denver. I personally believe this is all about AMAZON. With the new INDTX center becoming more of a focus for quicker service. On this run I am running 642 miles per day, rush hour in Denver and Colorado Springs in both the AM and PM. The run is from Denver to Clayton NM. 68 mph truck and we are having a tough time getting it done with 11 hours of drive time let alone 60 hours total.Construction, accidents, weather? They are gonna be screwed come winter. We will run out of hours and they will need 8 drivers and trucks to come and get our loads from our 8 runs. Trinidad has 4 600+ mile runs that won't make it back in bad weather and they don't have extra drivers. Vernon TX will have 8 as well and DALTX will have to come and get their 4 drivers. They think it's gonna save them a couple million bucks a year. The runs aren't cut, just moved.

You're running in CO, TX and NM on a mileage run, I presume, with 70 mph+ speed limits and you are in a 68 mph truck?

Overpaid Union Thug

Some of the extended center drivers get sent out to some of our pickups. We've has drivers from other buildings come in with an empty and pull loads that we used to take as well. They basically do whatever they can to either bypass us or give the work to someone else.
Here the hub is king. And the business agents make sure it stays that way to keep their voting base happy.

MoarTape

Here the hub is king. And the business agents make sure it stays that way to keep their voting base happy.

We're the only building in our local. UPS also hates our local, so they do what they can to take the work off of us. They'll put a ton of volume through the building and give it to other drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

We're the only building in our local. UPS also hates our local, so they do what they can to take the work off of us. They'll put a ton of volume through the building and give it to other drivers.
I know it's hard to see others coming in there and taking trailers but that happens at every building. If every building stopped that then we'd end up with nothing but bobtailing feeders and that would be a mess.

MoarTape

I know it's hard to see others coming in there and taking trailers but that happens at every building. If every building stopped that then we'd end up with nothing but bobtailing feeders and that would be a mess.

Oh, I understand that. If that were the case, we'd have 500+ drivers. My beef is mainly the work that has been taken off of us over the years.

SSkismarkSS

Not mileage yet. They need to turn em up to 72 mph cause we run short on hours regularly. Thursday and Friday we ran form Denco to Boise City, Oklahoma and back. Gave us a little more time. A lot of 2 lane. Passing 62 mph trucks takes long distances. 72 mph would help. Hourly at this time.