Done early

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
Hustling and getting done early seems to be a sin to most drivers on this forum. All I see is drivers complaining about guys getting done early and screwing up the routes. Why is this?

rod

Retired 22 years
Have you ever had to deliver a route the day after the previous driver wanted to get off early? It usually takes a day or two to deliver all his send agains and take care of customer complaints.:peaceful:

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
Rarely, I am always the driver that gets off early. I work in a center that has only 14 routes. I have 8 drivers ahead of me on the seniority list and 8 behind. I very rarely have lookups or a rediculous amount of send agains. Just because I get off early most days doesn't mean that I don't do my job.

Griff

Getting done early is fine as long as its within the confines of the methods and the contract. The people who do this are few and far between under PAS/EDD.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Have you ever had to deliver a route the day after the previous driver wanted to get off early? It usually takes a day or two to deliver all his send agains and take care of customer complaints.:peaceful:

Obviously your former center had some lousy cover drivers. It is frowned upon by other drivers because the harder and faster you work, the less money you make and more you make other drivers look slow and lazy. Not most but some drivers have a complex about this issue, which really isn't any of their business. The earlier you get out, the more you are accused of skipping your lunches and "flagging" stops.:whiteflag:

Getting done early is fine as long as its within the confines of the methods and the contract. The people who do this are few and far between under PAS/EDD.

You need to get out more often...That's just not true in the places I've worked. I get done early and help 1 to 3 drivers almost everyday...Have been on PAS off and on for 7 or 8 years.

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
I have no idea what PASS/EDD are. Fill me in. And yes I do skip my lunch most days. See no need in taking my lunch if I am gonna be done at 3:30 and getting paid 8 hrs.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some cover drivers are better than others. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get done early - as long as it isn't at the expence of the guy your filling in for. If you want to skip your break and drive 90 mph through the residential stops knock yourself out (management will love ya for it). There is nothing worse than coming back from a nice vacation only to have your package car filled with can't locates, not in 1's, no money 1's or any of a dozen other service failures (most of which didn't have an attempt to deliver them even made).

Griff

You need to get out more often...That's just not true in the places I've worked. I get done early and help 1 to 3 drivers almost everyday...Have been on PAS off and on for 7 or 8 years.

I'm well aware of your storied past of being a hall of fame all-star UPS driver. You'll probably be the first UPS driver to be inducted into the circle of honor based on management recommendations and not safe driving. I pray every night that I'll be as efficient as you someday and be able to help my management team even out their dispatch and make their numbers.

Like I said, if it's done within the confines of the contract and the methods -- there is no problem. You jump in and get defensive, I wonder why. You proved me right in your very own response, you have to go help out 1-3 other drivers on a daily basis. You are clearly the exception and not the rule, few and far between under PAS/EDD, thank you and drive through.

Jim Kemp

What ticks me off is when the sups compare the cover drivers to you. The ones in our center come in an hour and load the car, skip their lunch and punch out to do their turn in.
I am not going to give them two to three hours of overtime per day. That's a lot of money in a year.
Also they have the most follow ups and complaints. When I come back off vacation I will have a stack of follows ups, I ask the driver what he did with they pkg and he never knows.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm well aware of your storied past of being a hall of fame all-star UPS driver. You'll probably be the first UPS driver to be inducted into the circle of honor based on management recommendations and not safe driving. I pray every night that I'll be as efficient as you someday and be able to help my management team even out their dispatch and make their numbers.

Like I said, if it's done within the confines of the contract and the methods -- there is no problem. You jump in and get defensive, I wonder why.

People that continously bring up the contract and methods are the same ones that need those two to save their jobs. We don't need a pat on the back every time we do our job to our ability

M

Mr. Food

Been cover driver for a few years now...no one at our center talks about flagging stops. What is a flagged stop?? Thank you !!

Griff

People that continously bring up the contract and methods are the same ones that need those two to save their jobs. We don't need a pat on the back every time we do our job to our ability

I don't understand the problem here -- I said there's no problem with getting done early if its legitimate. Amazingly two PT supervisors turned drivers have a problem with my statement, both of whom get done early due to their outstanding work ethic and strict accordance of the contract and methods. So what's the problem here fellas?

helenofcalifornia

Well, there is nothing wrong with a good contract that protects you at work. And you may be fast now, but you won't be forever. Knees, shoulders wear out. And I don't know how your center has managed to not get the message about mandatory lunches. Yeah, I don't like taking them myself, but I have learned to take them so as not to get written up for not taking them.

helenofcalifornia

The reason I don't like taking them is because after lunch, my body says it's time for a siesta, not five more hours of work. I can never get back up to the same speed as before lunch.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The reason I don't like taking them is because after lunch, my body says it's time for a siesta, not five more hours of work. I can never get back up to the same speed as before lunch.

I agree....and I work in an office! I take my lunch around 12:30, get back around 1:30 and leave about 4:30 after starting about 7:30. Its done wonders for my alertness. -Rocky

U

Ups Man

Well, you guys who finish early and don`t have a ton of work added to your car the next day
and your time allowance reduced to justify adding the work. are just lucky for now I guess. just
wait till volume goes up in your center and see how you are rewarded with so much more work that you won`t be able to finish early no matter how fast you run. all running and cutting corners to get in early does is cause management to cut more routes and add more work to the cars. and increases the chance that you will get injured or get into an accident its just plain stupid. And when you get injured or get fired for getting into an accident because you did not follow the methods, others who you put out of work by doing too much work too fast will take your place.

diesel96

I guess the difference here is by the end of the year you can gross $55,ooo-$65,ooo and get done early everyday OR work within your limits, be safe and fair to the customer, take an honest full hour of lunch and volunteer for some o/t and gross $75,ooo-$85,ooo. So we are talking between $10,ooo and $20,ooo difference here. It's a no brainer unless you gotta spouse that earns more than you or waiting for a rich Uncle to Die.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I have no idea what PASS/EDD are. Fill me in. And yes I do skip my lunch most days. See no need in taking my lunch if I am gonna be done at 3:30 and getting paid 8 hrs.
Here's what ticks (no pun intended) me off about the guys who skip their lunch and get done early. Everything an OMS needs covered on their route gets sent to the route next to them. So, you skip your lunch, and you're home still getting paid (because you're guaranteed 8 hours) and I'm doing your on-calls, going to your pac mail, chasing all the pick ups that call in because you picked them up to early in an effort to get home before Oprah starts. It's not a paper route. We are service providers. You can't provide service from your couch.:angry: