Don't Be Naive! The Company watches these Forums! Fight back or Perish!

brownIEman

In that case, I stand corrected. I should have explained it was a randomly selected anonymous group of mostly the same ass kissers for at least the last three years running that I was there. Thanks for explaining it.

But how would you really know it is the same guys every year? Did you keep a list and stand around the building all day everyday to see who they have take it? No. More likely you saw one or two guys take it, guys you deem kiss ups, and that is enough evidence, your mind is made up about the whole process.

If your management is really doing what you describe, they are risking their jobs trying to improve a metric that no one that directly controls their career really gives a rats behind about. So if they are doing that, they are a truly special kind of stupid, even for management.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
But how would you really know it is the same guys every year? Did you keep a list and stand around the building all day everyday to see who they have take it? No. More likely you saw one or two guys take it, guys you deem kiss ups, and that is enough evidence, your mind is made up about the whole process.

If your management is really doing what you describe, they are risking their jobs trying to improve a metric that no one that directly controls their career really gives a rats behind about. So if they are doing that, they are a truly special kind of stupid, even for management.
they did the same exact thing at our hub. they never asked me to do the ERI. so i believe this was the game plan nationwide.

brownIEman

It's all a game and it's rigged, from the safety committees to safe driving awards to the blah blah etc. There's no reason to believe the ERI is any different. Call me a cynic.

HOWEVER if you are correct, it always seems the best treatment comes from UPS ~3 months before I've ever done it...and then it's the "hey you're doing the ERI, hope you don't forget your supervisors and management team aren't bad!!.."

so that's a +

":D

Yep, ya got me. Right before the ERI comes out the ops managers send out a directive to the package division managers. "ERI coming up guys, we need these precious babes that report to us to feel appreciated and happy so this idiotic number HR pesters me about for 10 minutes every year might tick up a half point. Put in those routes, drop that stop per car number, I don't care if cost per piece goes through the roof, we have got to make sure unsurepost and his pals all feel like we are a warm and fuzzy group that really care about them!!!"

Hey @TearsInRain just how low do they ask for the SPC to go down right before the ERI, on average nowadays?

brownIEman

they did the same exact thing at our hub. they never asked me to do the ERI. so i believe this was the game plan nationwide.

Well, that was not the game plan nationwide. In my center we got a list every quarter and we would have those drivers take the ERI either before they came in or when they got back, sometimes when they were in for training, whenever we could fit it in.
If the ERI number was bad there might be a conference call about the ERI to sit on. If it was good, there might be a conference call to sit on.

No one in operations cares enough about the ERI to rig it the way you are suggesting. Which in reality, makes that whole process even more jaded and fraudulent than what you imagine it is.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

It's a small center and the list is pretty short. It was generally common knowledge who took it on a given day. Was mgmt stupid? Maybe. All I can say is that there was a Kumbaya atmosphere the just before and during survey week each year. It was a very noticeable trend to the point that we joked about it.

Months later, if the centers overall score was less than whatever metric UPS had set them up for, the mgmt team would pout like angry children. It was definitely pcm'd as well.

"We got our score back today and first off, it looks like everyone feels the mechanic is doing a great job. But, it appears that some drivers feel that mgmt does not notify them in a timely manner on changes that affect them - or that these results will have any impact on operations. Well, I'll tell you that I can certainly do a lot less if the drivers don't feel I or the Oncar are doing enough."

Actual quotes. I know you say they don't care, and that's probably true somewhere. But not where I used to work.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
you've got too much time on your hands so read every post i ever made here. my center manager liked me and did not want me to retire. he asked me to come back for peak.

get a life.
Of course he did. Rather have you than a brand new wet behind the ear casual.

brownIEman

It's a small center and the list is pretty short. It was generally common knowledge who took it on a given day. Was mgmt stupid? Maybe. All I can say is that there was a Kumbaya atmosphere the just before and during survey week each year. It was a very noticeable trend to the point that we joked about it.

Months later, if the centers overall score was less than whatever metric UPS had set them up for, the mgmt team would pout like angry children. It was definitely pcm'd as well.

"We got our score back today and first off, it looks like everyone feels the mechanic is doing a great job. But, it appears that some drivers feel that mgmt does not notify them in a timely manner on changes that affect them - or that these results will have any impact on operations. Well, I'll tell you that I can certainly do a lot less if the drivers don't feel I or the Oncar are doing enough."

Actual quotes. I know you say they don't care, and that's probably true somewhere. But not where I used to work.

OK. Just realized something. You are talking about the old way ERI was done when it was run like Mid August through September-ish I think and each operation was given a code and just told to have people take it. They changed it about 2012 or '13 I think and started sending list of people to have take it each quarter.

In any case, if that is a real quote and this is how it was done in your center, then you did indeed work with management who were a special kind of stupid.
Sorry you had to deal with that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
OK. Just realized something. You are talking about the old way ERI was done when it was run like Mid August through September-ish I think and each operation was given a code and just told to have people take it. They changed it about 2012 or '13 I think and started sending list of people to have take it each quarter.

In any case, if that is a real quote and this is how it was done in your center, then you did indeed work with management who were a special kind of stupid.
Sorry you had to deal with that.
I don't think it is stupid, it seems reasonable that management would backlash against the employees for whom they could not sway with their perceived abundance of ~8 hour days and flexibility, or what have you ;)