Dont buy gas on May 15th

JohnnyPension

I usually dont forward stuff like this but at 3 bucks a gallon and rising we really need to try something/anything. Received an email from a bunch of friends about not buying any gas on May 15th. It is worth a shot.

ups79

So you don't buy gas on the 15th, just means you will buy more on the 16th. What the hell is the difference. One way or another you will eventually need to buy gas, if not this month next. Now if you would park your car and walk to work on the 15th, then you would be ahead.

SmithBarney

buy a 20 year old VW, and get 40-50mpg...
;)
or get a motorcycle and get 60+mpg

or Buy a bicycle, and never put gas in it...

supercool

I'll be buying gas on May 15th if I need gas. In the end, if you still drive a car, you're still going to need gas. The way to combat it would be to stop consuming it altogether. I think this is a silly idea by reactionaries. It cost me $70 to fill up my tank on Sunday, and I'm PT -- that's about 30% of my paycheck right there. The problem right now lies with supposed refinery issues, and not as much with futures and prices. They say we're only producing 8.5 million gallons or some such amount of gas a day, but
consuming 9 million, so we have to import it and whatnot. No one wants to build refineries because of all the NIMBY types (I don't want to look at it!), not to mention all the costly environmental regulations. The only real thing that could happen would be for government to step in with price controls, but then again, I don't want to sit in line for an hour to save $.20 a gallon. It's a tricky issue, but I really don't think not buying gas on one day is gonna solve a single thing.

rushfan

The best vehicle I've owned was a Honda 90. I rode it around as an unlicensed teenager. I'm looking for an old p.o.s motorbike to ride.

trickpony1

I usually dont forward stuff like this but at 3 bucks a gallon and rising we really need to try something/anything. Received an email from a bunch of friends about not buying any gas on May 15th. It is worth a shot.

yes, it is worth a shot but there is only one problem.........
you can't get people to stick together, that is why:

-there's no union where we work. No one wants to be inconvienced.They would rather snuggle up to management and buy favor.

-big business is moving manufacturing jobs overseas. Americans won't stick together and boycott the companies that have moved overseas taking our jobs with them. These same Americans will wonder why their country turned into a giant ghost town and experienced a major, major economic depression when there are more Americans than jobs. An even bigger surprise will come when China gets pissed at us and decides to stop importing.

-big petro companies are raping the consumers. I remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon. The big petro companies know they have us by the ####s. Not buying gas on May 15 just might convey a real clear message to the petro companies that the consumer is more organized than they thought.

.....but wait!......no one wants to be inconvienced (yes, it is probably misspelled but I don't care). :mad:

8up

come on folks, do y'all really think that not buying gasoline for one day is gonna make a difference. it ain't gonna make a drip in my Exxon stock. if you wanna make a difference, lower your demand. one simple way, drive the speed limit. i've started doin' just that, leave earlier, so i don't have to race at 75 - 80 MPH, when i can just as easily drive it at 60 MPH. i've got all the tire pressures right, no jack rabbit starts, come up off the throttle while watching for that signal light to turn green before i get to it and not having to stop. my miles per gallon have increased 2.5 to 2.8 on average since starting this more laid back approach to getting to & from work and around town for the past three months. all we have to do is lower the demand we have on this stuff. good luck to you.

disneyworld

I got this e-mail too. I also got one that said NOT to buy gas from the two biggest companies-Exxon and Mobil. They would be forced to drop their prices and that would start a price war.Who knows, it's worth a shot.

B

Buy lots of gas on May 15

That email is retarded. "I am going to show ExxonMobile who is boss by moving my fuel consumption to the next day!"

If you want to make an impact on May 15th, go out and buy a Prius.

I got this e-mail too. I also got one that said NOT to buy gas from the two biggest companies-Exxon and Mobil. They would be forced to drop their prices and that would start a price war.Who knows, it's worth a shot.

That would give even more business to Communist-owned Citgo. No thanks. The whole gas-out idea is retarded.

tups

Now this is the way to go. Has anyone ever noticed the prices at Exxon/Mobil? They are consistantly 5-10 cents higher than most other places. Go look at the Mobil on one side of the street, then look at the Hess station on the other. In Boston, the difference varies from 3-8 cents more than Hess. So you want to make a statement on the 15th? Dont buy gas from Mobil, Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, but instead go one of the smaller places like Hess, or whatever you might in your part of the country. Then keep buying gas there and dont go back. Let those big oil companies that claim they are not making enough gas see how quickly it stockpiles.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The government gets more than the oil company out of that gallon of gas. Why don't the politicians allow more refineries to be built, the population of the US is over 300 million now. The enviromentalists have kept out new refineries, new drilling out of the Gulf of Mexico, nuclear power, and drilling out of Alaska. Thats where the real problem is. Not buying gas for one day is crazy, we need to cut back on use everyday.

Raw

Raw Member
If you want to make an impact on May 15th, go out and buy a Prius.
No thanks. I`ll keep driving my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 liter and I don`t care if I have to fill up every 5 days because we don`t pay state tax down here in Florida!! :lol:

I would love for some troublemaking legislator to get gasoline taxes handled like sales taxes rather than excise duties. If consumers got to see the extra $.62 a gallon bite (2006 national average) that the state and federal governments are taking, maybe we'd be directing our angst about windfall profits at a more worthy target.

M

Midwest Upser

So what fill up on the 14th??? Or should I fill up on the 16th? Slow down a little while driving, make less trips, smooth stops and take offs. This will help more than altering what day we buy gas. If I lived closer to the center I would bike it!!

hoser

Industrial Slob
wait a minute, crack open a economics textbook, particularly a petro-economics and you'll learn that:
-oil companies don't gouge. look up the definition of it and the conditions required for something to be considered gouging, and you'll realize how off you are.
-oil companies don't conspire to gouge in the smoky back room of a strip club where it's over heard by a janitor, in which the first thing that he does is get onto his computer to email all his buddies of imminent doom
-if everyone doesn't buy on 15 may AM, supply will be so high that prices will go down and people like me will capitalize on it while laughing at the tools, because on 16 may, they'll be paying more when there's the same amount of supply and greatly increased demand

idiot,

I would love for some troublemaking legislator to get gasoline taxes handled like sales taxes rather than excise duties. If consumers got to see the extra $.62 a gallon bite (2006 national average) that the state and federal governments are taking, maybe we'd be directing our angst about windfall profits at a more worthy target.
up north we pay the equivalent of $.95/gal in tax. and it goes into infrastrucutre. i think it should go into parks, and i'm an friend'n conservative.

wily_old_vet

Hell, I'm going to BUY gas on the 15th since the lines should be shorter from all the idiots who think they are making a difference by not buying that day. What a joke.