Dont want to quit.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
After 17 years of employment (beating all the odds) it looks as though I may have to give up my job.
I am not a citizen of the USA , I have a greencard and I`m running into some immigration problems. I have a Lawyer , my family and I have tried everything to resolve this issue but it seems as though there is nothing we can do , I will have to leave the country within the next month. I dont want to go into a lot of detail reg the reasons I have to leave , I am not being deported and I will be able to come back to the states and re apply after 1 year.
My family has a lot of decisions to make regarding our futer and any information regarding these questions would be greatly appreaciated.

1. is there any way to get a year of work ? ( I am not prepared to lie saying I need stress leave or using family emergency leave etc )
2. does anyone know if there is any way I can transfer or could I get a recomendation to work for a UPS facility in the UK. I will be moving to the Midlands if anyone from the UK has a websight or job application info from over there I could start the ball rolling and hopefully set up an interview so I wont be without work for to long.
This really sucks, Im to old to start my life over again in a new country , Ive lived in the states since I was 17 more than half my life . I fought so hard to get my job back, keep my house and family together over the last 2 years and I was finaly content with everything and very happy to be back at work.
Cest la Vie I guess :sad-very:

Mike Hawk

I know a guy who had to move to a different state, he couldn’t get a transfer so he had to quit, but he said management made a note on his file that he was a good worker and would be a good rehire. I have not heard from him in awhile but it makes sense if your already trained and a good employee hiring you makes sense over an off the street.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I agree.You allready have all the knowledge of what to do.I don't see why you wouldn't go to the top of the list.Good luck.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I know a guy who had to move to a different state, he couldn’t get a transfer so he had to quit, but he said management made a note on his file that he was a good worker and would be a good rehire. I have not heard from him in awhile but it makes sense if your already trained and a good employee hiring you makes sense over an off the street.

thanks ( only kidding when I called you lazy earlier)

Leftinbuilding

Have you checked in to a "leave of absence" for the year? I don't know the in's and out's or even if it's doable, but it might be worth a try. Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

After 17 years of employment (beating all the odds) it looks as though I may have to give up my job.
I am not a citizen of the USA , I have a greencard and I`m running into some immigration problems. I have a Lawyer , my family and I have tried everything to resolve this issue but it seems as though there is nothing we can do , I will have to leave the country within the next month. I dont want to go into a lot of detail reg the reasons I have to leave , I am not being deported and I will be able to come back to the states and re apply after 1 year.
My family has a lot of decisions to make regarding our futer and any information regarding these questions would be greatly appreaciated.

1. is there any way to get a year of work ? ( I am not prepared to lie saying I need stress leave or using family emergency leave etc )
2. does anyone know if there is any way I can transfer or could I get a recomendation to work for a UPS facility in the UK. I will be moving to the Midlands if anyone from the UK has a websight or job application info from over there I could start the ball rolling and hopefully set up an interview so I wont be without work for to long.
This really sucks, Im to old to start my life over again in a new country , Ive lived in the states since I was 17 more than half my life . I fought so hard to get my job back, keep my house and family together over the last 2 years and I was finaly content with everything and very happy to be back at work.
Cest la Vie I guess :sad-very:

There has to be a way that they (Homeland Securty/INS) could give you an extension or a waiver. Yes, they have rules and regulations but they are known for making exceptions. I know of a girl that crossed the border illegally and got married and was going to have to move back to Mexico to "adjust status" before she could come back but her husband started being abusive and they gave permanent resident status almost on the spot. How many years of those 17 have you been with UPS? If it's been a long time then your case sounds like it could have potential to be given special consideration.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
UK guy,I bet if you moved to a large city over there,theres a good chance ups would hire you .

I just found out what a UPS driver makes over there I think I`ll change career its only 18,000 a year thats about $36,000 not to great of a salary

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am all for reasonable immigration limits, but Canadians and British/UK ought to be exempt from them. I resent the fact that my tax dollars are being spent trying to deport a British citizen who has been legally living, working and PAYING TAXES in this country for 17 years.
You are allowed to take an unpaid leave in order to work for the union. Call your local. Maybe they will, on paper at least, "hire" you to be an organizer in England. Even if you arent being paid or actually doing anything, it keeps your foot in the door to return to your job once your immigration issues are resolved. Good luck...and dont forget which side of the road you are supposed to drive on when you get back!

Penguin

Sometimes UPS management will go out of their way to help UPSers who are citizens of other countries keep their jobs. Talk to HR about your situation.

I am all for reasonable immigration limits, but Canadians and British/UK ought to be exempt from them. I resent the fact that my tax dollars are being spent trying to deport a British citizen who has been legally living, working and PAYING TAXES in this country for 17 years.

Are you kidding me? How twisted a thought to have... I think I know what you're getting at as far as who you think is not paying taxes. I think you've got it all wrong too. :/

Wild Bill P

Wild Bill in Pensacola
Have you tried praying? If you get right with God first, confess your sins, your life will turn around for the best. Remember God's will be done, not ours. I am a retired UPS driver. I was not ready for retirement. I wanted to work at least 6 more years when I stated getting dizzy at work and was force into retirement.
I was very upset at first, then things changed. I realized it was God's way of telling me "I have other plans for you". I am now enjoying retired life. God still provides for my family's needs. I have since made going to church everyday my main employment. I am truely living a very peaceful, fullfilling life.
You too will be ok if you just put everything into God's Hands.
I will put you and your family in my prayers.
Yours in Christ,
Wild Bill (Pensacola, Florida):happy2:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Have you tried praying? If you get right with God first, confess your sins, your life will turn around for the best. Remember God's will be done, not ours. I am a retired UPS driver. I was not ready for retirement. I wanted to work at least 6 more years when I stated getting dizzy at work and was force into retirement.
I was very upset at first, then things changed. I realized it was God's way of telling me "I have other plans for you". I am now enjoying retired life. God still provides for my family's needs. I have since made going to church everyday my main employment. I am truely living a very peaceful, fullfilling life.
You too will be ok if you just put everything into God's Hands.
I will put you and your family in my prayers.
Yours in Christ,

I have prayed and thankyou for your prayers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberups

Are you kidding me? How twisted a thought to have... I think I know what you're getting at as far as who you think is not paying taxes. I think you've got it all wrong too. :/
I can't speak for Sober but, I think what he is saying in the underlined sentence is that it's doesn't seem right to make a LEGAL immigrant leave after 17 years without apparent reason. Especially when our country is being overran by ILLEGAL immigrants. Illegals that are draining our social resources at a much higher rate than any taxes they might pay.....please don't get me started on this.

trickpony1

I was not ready for retirement. I wanted to work at least 6 more years when I stated getting dizzy at work and was force into retirement.
Yours in Christ,

Gosh.....
do you think it was the searing heat in the back of that package car and the associated dehydration that caused you to be dizzy?

Also.....who diagnosed you with a disqualifying problem?....the company nurse or a real doctor (other than the company doctor)?