Don't Work Harder Because It Is Peak

KOG72

I’m full of it
The ones that work hard and fast are the same ones having to go out an help the ones that are working slower and safer.Like me!!!!

JL 0513

It's funny how it is actually less physically demanding for a driver during peak, but of course only when you have your helper aboard. It's a lot less stair climbing and carrying packages and walking. The hardest part of peak is fighting the damn load looking for needles in a hay stack it often feels like.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I keep the same pace year round, no matter what route I'm on. I don't kill myself like the runners, nor do I have a sloth mode like the worthless drivers and clock-milkers. If there is still time left after my route is done, I have no problem going to help most drivers.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
It's funny how it is actually less physically demanding for a driver during peak, but of course only when you have your helper aboard. It's a lot less stair climbing and carrying packages and walking. The hardest part of peak is fighting the damn load looking for needles in a hay stack it often feels like.
Exactly! Peak is the easiest physically because the helper is doing most of the walking and carrying. It only sucks because there's WAY more residential stops than normal and there's always delays leaving the building, except on Monday. I actually hate when January rolls around and they get rid of the helpers. You forget what it's like to walk every single stop yourself until that rude reawakening.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sucks that the hard workers have to bail out the lazy bastards.

A few years ago I was "asked" to go help a new driver three separate times in the same week. When I caught up to him on the 3rd my frustration got the best of me and I let him know in no uncertain words how I felt about having to bail him out.

He is now one of our better young drivers.

A few years ago I was "asked" to go help a new driver three separate times in the same week. When I caught up to him on the 3rd my frustration got the best of me and I let him know in no uncertain words how I felt about having to bail him out.

Having helped the same 8-10 drivers for 10 years, I can understand your frustration. But on the other hand being a new driver myself, the frustration should be put to management. I frequently need to be bailed out due to managements poor planning. It's gotten much worse over the last 10 years. New mgmt are clueless when it comes to Orion, rte knowledge, production, and safety.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily

Funny thing, the same thing happened to me. Except instead of turning into one of the better drivers, he got pissed at me instead lol. I show up at 9pm to help this guy and there's already another driver there with this disgruntled look on his face taking packages from him. I pull up and go 'dude, this is the third day in a row that I have to help you, wtf?'. He goes don't blame me, blame management for giving me too much stuff. I inform him that he has a split route I did for a half a year two years ago and never needed help with the same amount of stops. At that point he gets mad and only gives me 7 stops to help with and says 'dont need anything else from you, have a nice night'. I do the 7 stops then return to the center and they're like 'that was fast, how many stops did you take? I let them know everything that happened and then told them I'm not going back out to take more, so don't bother. Next day I was told he came back that night and threw a fit and asked never to be helped by me again. I was like 'yes! Problem solved!'.

35years

Gravy route
We were all, at one time, the new guy who busted his behind only to be sent to help.

I never blamed the guys I helped. Management knows how much each driver can handle. They will purposely send the slower driver out with too much work, knowing the faster driver will have to bail him out. Then they can blame the overdispatching on the slower driver.

It's about time the runners wake up and realize who is actually bending them over.

twoweeled

Sucks that the hard workers have to bail out the lazy bastards.
They don't have to help the smart workers, the dumbies choose to help the smart ones. It's management who always quotes the big lie: work smarter not harder.
"Hey, I'm in on that one!!!"

twoweeled

We were all, at one time, the new guy who busted his behind only to be sent to help.

I never blamed the guys I helped. Management knows how much each driver can handle. They will purposely send the slower driver out with too much work, knowing the faster driver will have to bail him out. Then they can blame the overdispatching on the slower driver.

It's about time the runners wake up and realize who is actually bending them over.
As Shakespeare would say; Ain't that the truth?
This is managements way of pitting us hourly's against each other. It's sad that year after year, so many hourly fall for this and get pissed at the other hourly. Every damn year, management pretends like they have never seen a peak season. Peak is a total surprise to management. They've never seen anything like it! What happened to cause this?
Wow - who could've seen this coming?
Our job is the same year round. We don't dispatch. It is up to managment to dispatch. It is management's job to hire and staff according to needs. If they staff wrong, "well then oh well". We work at the same pace year round. Either staff correctly, or pay overtime - it's up to management.
I never really cared either way - although I liked overtime. A LOT!!