DQ'd From Integrad...

Indecisi0n

The driver commentary is easy. Intersection, curb, mirror clear/dirty over and over.

When it's clean you just say it over and over. I got 65 or something. 45 was the minimum I think.
Did More than what was needed as well. Just keep talking. Most of the time the intstructor isn't even paying attention to what's going on since he has to write down everything your saying. So just keep talking and remember driveways are intersections.

P

pickup

Failed driver commentary drill (I don't speak like a homicidal robot when I drive) and they said I can't become a driver for a year and that I'll have to go back to integrad if I want to become a driver.

He's got a point, Ups claims talking on a cellphone while driving is distracted driving( which I agree with ) but somehow giving up some of your attention to spit out ups jargon and give a tour guide's verbal description of what is going on while driving a vehicle you are not familiar with isn't distracted driving???

Please.

To the original poster, I am sorry about your experience but as others said, learn from it. You now have a year to get this into your head.

Indecisi0n

He's got a point, Ups claims talking on a cellphone while driving is distracted driving( which I agree with ) but somehow giving up some of your attention to spit out ups jargon and give a tour guide's verbal description of what is going on while driving a vehicle you are not familiar with isn't distracted driving???

Please.

To the original poster, I am sorry about your experience but as others said, learn from it. You now have a year to get this into your head.
I never do any safety questions while driving during my annual safety rides. I tell the sup we can stop now and I'll do them or we can do them at the end of the night. I have not once gotten any negative response from a sup. Only thing I do while driving is the driver drill.

The Driver

I drive.
For the record, I also hate that driver drill stuff. For our yearly space and visibility ride I hate when the on road wants me to do that crap. The last 2 rides I had, the ORS did the driver drill himself and didn't ask me to do it thank God. I hear it's even a bigger deal in feeders to do the driver drill, so I guess I better get it down in 15 years lol. I can rattle off 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, 8 keys to slips and falls, 5 backing rules, and 8 yard control rules just like the Terminator. But screw the driver drill.

Felt like I was going to cause an accident trying to do the driver drill last week on my yearly. Divides the attention.

ManInBrown

We had to do DOK word for word when I went to class or you failed. I had about 20 people in my class. A few failed the driving part. And a few failed the DOK.

Whenever I have a safety ride and they start to explain the driver drill to me I always say, you're distracting me. I'll pull over then we can have a nice talk. Or when we drive out to area and they start to spew stuff I always say the same. And I get the same response, no we'll do it later. Which we never do. I understand having to do that stuff to get the job, but once you have it spewing stuff like a robot is worthless. I Implement the DOK everyday on the rode. That's a little more important then spewing it out like a robot.

Last edited:

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
A professional driver should have no problem describing what is right in front of him or her and still be able to focus on what they are doing.

not all professionals can do that... similar to this:

giphy.gif

i tried doing that driver drill part on my own, and yes, it detracts my focus from the road, similar to those drivers with those bluetooth ear pieces who's talking while driving... cant do that either. i am already thinking about "dirty mirrors" or clear intersections or stale green lights in my head, just spouting it out is a different task... takes practice & agrees that it should be practiced in your personal vehicles while you're commuting to/from work

Manbrownie, if those aspiring drivers just have the "drive" to become a brownie driver, they should have learned the DOK even before signing up to go to integrad. driving part was done in a p500 or a p700? i know they won't have the p1000 or p1200 for that...

Last edited:
P

pickup

A professional driver should have no problem describing what is right in front of him or her and still be able to focus on what they are doing.

I do. Ever turn on an appliance in your house and you can see that the lights dimmed slightly? Talking and trying to convey what you are seeing is dimming the lights so to speak. By talking, you are diminishing the energy that should be going to the areas of the brain that are being used in navigation and observation.

That's just my opinion.

P

pickup

giphy.gif

i tried doing that driver drill part on my own, and yes, it detracts my focus from the road, similar to those drivers with those bluetooth ear pieces who's talking while driving... cant do that either.

Manbrownie, if those aspiring drivers just have the "drive" to become a brownie driver, they should have learned the DOK even before signing up to go to integrad. driving part was done in a p500 or a p700? i know they won't have the p1000 or p1200 for that...

I agree 1528.67 percent.

OrioN

oops, i was editing my post while u were replying... LoL

and i'm on team eggplant!

claw-five.gif

slight derail, i just watched Logan on my IPTV box... what a crappy movie!

i wantz my 2 hourz bax, yo!

P

pickup

giphy.gif

i tried doing that driver drill part on my own, and yes, it detracts my focus from the road, similar to those drivers with those bluetooth ear pieces who's talking while driving... cant do that either. i am already thinking about "dirty mirrors" or clear intersections or stale green lights in my head, just spouting it out is a different task... takes practice & agrees that it should be practiced in your personal vehicles while you're commuting to/from work

Let just add to this by using an example of a professional athlete having to verbally say what he is doing or looking for while operating under game time conditions.

Can you imagine Tom Brady, after snapping the ball, conveying to Bellicheck over a built in mic , how he is doing his footwork mechanics, what he is looking for in terms of open receivers, how he is taking the path of least resistance when dodging a tackler?

Do you think that his performance might suffer?

I'm talking to those who believe these classroom drills have no effect when the driver is forced to recite them while driving.

ManInBrown

20 yrs safe driver, and I would fail intergrad if I had to go at this point , I can't receite that crap, but I do it everyday !
Bingo. It's just another thing they use to mess with us. Anyone with a brain knows it's way more important to implement the DOK in real life, then to spew it out like a robot.

We don't hear about it much here other than when they think Keter might be coming around. A couple years ago it was the flavor of the month. They were calling one or two drivers into the office at the end of the day to test them. I went in and knew about 60% of it. Gave me a sheet and told me to study up, and I would have to do it again in a few weeks. Never was asked to do it again

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
It's not just integrad that makes you do this. My class had to do this and I hated it but played the game. I'm sure this drill made you nervous while you were driving which is what they were probably trying to accomplish. Deep down I'm sure it's also some kind of psychological test as well.

Suck it up and practice in your personal vehicle during the next year. They told us on the first day we had to do this and should practice on our own time if we were struggling. It's not hard to slow down your speech, speak loudly and remember you can't go from side mirror to side mirror for your next move. The rest is just filling time and playing the game.

For the record I have never had to do this in feeders.

At generic non-Integrad driving school we just had to write the stuff. We were supposed to go out and recite it but the "safety bus" was on the other side of the state and the hub manager never showed up to verbally test us. All the other reg-temps tell me I got lucky. Guess so.

OrioN

How is, exclaiming: Eye-lead time->Following distance clear-> Speed limit->Left curb hazardous, left mirror clear, left curb hazardous...Repeat 35 times out loud...basic driving stuff?! Well obviously the left curb is hazardous, why would I have to say that when its understood you never drive into oncoming traffic? What some of you probably don't realize, is that some people get passed easier than others...I had a freaken nutcase who failed me.

in hindsight ~ don't say that word, say "dirty"

one less syllable & easier to spit it out like a tommy gun, yo!

or make it fun next time...

Left mirror clear, left curb masswhole texting while walking, honk honk! etc.