Dreadlocks

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We are sitting here watching college ball and were just discussing the fact that dreadlocks are becoming more and more common in college and pro sports. I have never understood the desire of having dreadlocks, or for that matter, how one can keep their hair clean. I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Everytime my wife sees a pro sports player with long hair, she freaks. She hates that sort of hair and thinks they should all have it cut and look more "professional". Personally, I'm just curious as to why anyone would want that much hair bouncing around, while you're trying to do your job. It's sort of like the baggy pants thing. Why wear pants that keep falling down, when you can wear pants that fit, and keep your mind on other things.

From personal experience, baggy pants were worn by shoplifters who would stash stolen items into them; Or by robbers that would take the baggy pants off quickly, having others beneath them, so as to change their appearance.

My personal take on dreads, and this is my opinion, as I haven't researched this subject. Dread locks are "usually" worn by people who smoke lots of marijuana and lately hippies that always talk about marijuana legalization. I don't know if all the sports people that have em, actually have hair that long, or smoke pot. I think they may be extensions, well for some of them, at least. I would think that in sports, as with our company, there would be some sort of appearance standards. jmho

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It doesn't bother me to see this trend in sports. I just don't get the dreadlocks. My personal feeling is that if you are going to have long hair and you end up losing some of it in a tackle then too bad. We are watching the USF game right now and one of the players was nearly dragged down by a handfull of hair. LOL

As far as the professional thing, there are many ways to be professional. It's not just about the hair. It's ethics. Years ago when Oakland was HOT, they were not professional. They were one of the 'dirtiest' teams in the NFL.

The baggy pants, well I just want to walk up behind baggy pants and pull them down around their knees. My middle son and I had many a battle over baggy pants.

azul

low on the pole
The folks that I know with dreads keep their hair and scalps extremely clean because they don't want their hair to be brittle or unhealthy. They also don't want to smell. Yes, it is possible to do. Most people that have dreads are aware that having dreads is high maintenance and they are aware of what they are getting themselves into.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
i would think that the long hair (in sports) would be a hinderance. i mean with all that long hair to grab on to. i mean they may get a flag thrown on them, but its just out there they may not even mean to grab on to the hair.

azul

low on the pole
The funny thing is that I had the same epiphany the other day watching ESPN w/ the old man...I was thinking, "Why would you want all of that hair in a contact sport?" I've seen guys go down because of their hair being yanked. It reminded me of a catfight.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sounds like way too much trouble to me...............

Your hair-care regime will change the moment you begin to dread your hair. Line up all your current products in a row and see if they pass the test.
Instructions

Steps

Step One

Resist the temptation to shampoo a new set of dreads for at least two weeks. Your scalp will eventually acclimate to the new schedule. When your locks are secure, consider a wash every four days to two weeks, depending on how your scalp feels.

Step Two

Choose a low-lather shampoo that will leave no residue or film behind. Wash your hair with tepid to lukewarm water. Hot water may melt any wax you've used to secure your twists.

Step Three

Look for shampoos that tend to the new needs of your scalp. Many people with dreadlocks experience dry and itchy scalps, as well as dandruff. Consider products made by other "dread heads." These products will be formulated to cater to your specific needs.

Step Four

Skip the conditioner. Its emollient nature may loosen your locks.

Step Five

Consider slipping a nylon stocking or hair net over your head before you wash. This will help keep all your locks in place and keep them from unraveling.

Step Six

Shake your clean head, then squeeze excess water from each lock to begin the drying process. Blot water with a bedsheet, as towels may leave bits of fuzz in your hair.

Step Seven

Let your hair dry completely, then begin the wax and twist process again. Comb each lock back toward the scalp to achieve the matted texture needed to optimize the twist.

Tips & Warnings

• <LI class=lstTip>If your locks really need a good cleaning, wash small groups at a time. This method will keep them from getting tangled or unraveling.
  • New dreads may unravel with a lot of help, but in general dreads won't wash out. Should you decide to move on to a new style, you'll need to cut the dreads off and start with a fresh head of hair.
Overall Things You'll Need

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Way to much work. I like mine very short. Wash and go.

When I went to NYC for my Mom's wake/funeral, I saw loads of family. One of my sisters said she was tired of having to wake up and take care of her hair, so she lopped it all off.

I honestly think this is too far the other direction.:surprised:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Right now I am totally bald......talk about easy !!! I'm always the first one ready to go now.....except I'm cold all the time and need to wear a hat.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Right now I am totally bald......talk about easy !!! I'm always the first one ready to go now.....except I'm cold all the time and need to wear a hat.

LOL Does make things a little quicker!

When I went to NYC for my Mom's wake/funeral, I saw loads of family. One of my sisters said she was tired of having to wake up and take care of her hair, so she lopped it all off.

I honestly think this is too far the other direction.:surprised:

Mine's not quite that short, but when I get it cut my barber shaves the back of my neck!

drewed

Shankman
i would think that the long hair (in sports) would be a hinderance. i mean with all that long hair to grab on to. i mean they may get a flag thrown on them, but its just out there they may not even mean to grab on to the hair.

I believe the rule that rolled out this season was hair was considered part of the jersey making it fair game

Channahon

I believe the rule that rolled out this season was hair was considered part of the jersey making it fair game

And that would be correct, and one other reason the players like all that hair, is so they will be noticed on the field by the fans.

Talk about being vain, but then again, with all that hair, probably nobody can see the jersey number.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And that would be correct, and one other reason the players like all that hair, is so they will be noticed on the field by the fans.

Talk about being vain, but then again, with all that hair, probably nobody can see the jersey number.
Except the officials on the field. And even if they can't see the jersey number the hair will give them away. LOL